Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Sinus drainage

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Sinus drainage

I see on the postings that a couple of people started having problems about 2 years ago. That's just about when my sinus problems started as well. My left sinus drains all day and night. I do live in the mounts where the weather is dry as well as having pine trees which can be a problem. I have a cough that is persistant all day as well as through the night. About two years ago I had a really bad flu returning from Hong Kong and then I lost my voice. Side note: I do lots of traveling for business to Hong Kong, Mainland China, Vietnam, Korea, Taiwan and Germany. Not sure if this could of caused the problem as well.

I too went to and general doctor as well as an ENT. He mentioned that I had a deviated septum and he asked if I had breathing problem, which I told him I did not. When the drainage hits my vocal cords I start coughing and loose my voice. Has anyone else experienced this?

Cold, damp weather seem to start the coughing more than other times.
You should probably have a CT scan of the sinuses along with a routine and fungal culture of the sinus drainage.  It sounds like you would benefit from nasal washes and a nasal steroid spray.  A nasal steroid spray decreases inflammation in the nose and sinuses and mucus production.  So it could prevent postnasal drip.  However a nasal steroid spray does not provide immediate relief of symptoms.  It may need to be used every day for several weeks to months to notice improvement in your symptoms.  To get the most help from any nasal spray first do a nasal wash to remove mucus from your nose and sinuses.  Please read our nasal wash treatment information at http://www.nationaljewish.org/disease-info/treatments/alt-ther/nasal-wash.aspx to learn more about this technique.  Share this information with your doctor to see if you would benefit from this daily treatment.
I have had sinus problems for more than 15 years.  For three years there was so much mucas drainage that I was choaking and could not breath.  ENT's and Resp;s said nothing was wrong.  I did finally get to a ENT several years later that said I did have a deviated septum - surgery helped but did not cure.    The mucas cause acid reflux to the point that food was also coming up.  I know it was from the weight of the mucas.  I was able to slow the mucas down by removing carpeting - keeping windows open (not closed) - I stopped using heat and air conditioning and also stayed away from perfumes and other perfume smelling products.  

I then developed problems with my lungs and I was told by two doctors I do not have asthma and one doctors said I did.  To make a very long story short - it turned out that I had 3 types of mycoplasma.  This was causing most of my problems.

By the way, cold and dampness will generated molds and fungas - this is probably why it gets worse.

DB
Thanks for the Email back. Been working with a Pharmacist and he likes to do more natural courses of healing. He mentioned if I drink cokes and eat dairy products to quit right away, which I did. He stated he was aware of the problem I have and that my PH balance was off causing the infection to go direct to my sinuses. Not sure about this but I am willing to try anything at this point. I have a meeting with him this coming Sunday to go over a program for me. About two years ago I had a really bad cold coming back from a trip to Hong Kong. Everything went to my chest and I had xrays but it showed nothing. Thats when I believe this whole thing started. I also hear that stress etc can set it off as well. Had plenty of that over the years. I also have noted from my last doctor visit, when he tapped on my chest during my breathing in and out I started coughing. Also if I just breath in and out heavy it does the same thing.

Will keep you posted on the program to see if it starts working or not.