Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Sinus headache blood in mucus

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Sinus headache blood in mucus

I have been having sinus pain and pressure for about 2 days now. It got really bad lastnight and I took some Ibuprofen. It seemed to help somewhat, however this morning when I woke up their was a small amount of blood in my mucus. I have a history of allergies, sinusitis, and nosebleeds during the winter, so I sleep under a humidifier every night. What  I am wondering is what can I do to help my sinus pain? I hate taking Ibuprofen because in the past I have had nosebleeds that took forever to stop and I worry about taking NSAIDS, but tylenol DOES NOT work for me..it give me no relief what so ever, I currently take Prozac for an anxiety disorder, so taking sudafed type medication is hard to deal with on the anxiety level. Any sugestions?
A small amount of blood accompanying a sinus infection is not uncommon.  The way to decrease the sinus pain is to treat the sinusitis, with nasal washes, a nasal steroid spray and possibly an antibiotic.  A nasal steroid spray can be very effective in the treatment of sinusitis.  It decreases inflammation in the nose and sinuses and mucus production.  However a nasal steroid spray does not provide immediate relief of symptoms.  It may need to be used every day for several weeks to months to notice improvement in your symptoms.  To get the most help from any nasal spray first do a nasal wash to remove mucus from your nose and sinuses.  Please read our nasal wash treatment information at

http://www.nationaljewish.org/disease-info/treatments/alt-ther/nasal-wash.aspx

to learn more about this technique.  Share this information with your doctor to see if you would benefit from this daily treatment. You might ask your doctor about a short trial of codeine, until the sinuses clear and the pain eases.