Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Sinus ifection for 3 months

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Sinus ifection for 3 months

I have had an ongoing sinus infections for the last 3 months.  I have had 5 rounds of antibiotics, which have helped while I am taking them - just as soon as I get off of them I am miserable again.  I use flonase, zyrtec, nasalcrom and allegra d and a prescription decongestant to relieve the extreme congestion in my neck.  I also do nasal washes every other day.  I should add to this that I have an immune deficiency - CVID.  I cannot kick this sinus trouble.  I have a constant low fever, have lost my sense of smell and have even been to the dentist to see if I had cavities in my upper teeth as they hurt so much.  I also live where the Mexican fires smoke have been affecting us and have alot of allergy trouble in my eyes and throat. What else can I try for relief?  All of my drainage is down my throat, nothing out the nose - but when it is it is green.
With common variable immune deficiency (CVID) your immunoglobulin G (IgG) is low.  IgG is a part of your immune system that helps you to fight infections.  When the IgG level in your blood is low it can be harder for you to fight infections.  Recurring infections are the most common problem with CVID.  These commonly include sinus and chest infections.  Replacement therapy with intravenous gammaglobulin is the treatment for CVID.  This will raise your IgG levels so that you can fight infections better.  Please read our Immune Deficiencies MedFact at http://www.nationaljewish.org/medfacts/immune.html for more information.

Sinusitis is an inflammation, or swelling, of the mucous membranes that line the sinus cavities.  This can block sinus drainage and cause increased mucus production.  Symptoms can include a headache or pressure in the area of the sinuses, a stuffy nose, achy teeth, postnasal drip, cough, sore throat, laryngitis, constant low fever, and thick, yellow to green nasal drainage.

The most common cause of sinusitis is an infection, especially when the mucus is green.  Sinus infections can be difficult to treat since they respond slowly.  When a bacterial infection is the cause you may need to take an antibiotic for 2 weeks or longer.  Even after the antibiotic clears the infection, it is possible for the inflammation to linger.  However, inflammation of the sinuses could also be due to an allergy or chronic exposure to an irritant, such as the smoke from the Mexican fires.

Drainage from the nose and sinuses that drips down the back of the throat is known as postnasal drip.  This can fester sinusitis.  An antihistamine like Allegra