RESPIRATORY DISORDERS
FORUM
Sinusitis causing dry mouth
by Merrill, Sep 04, 2004
I've suffered from Chronic Sinusitis for about the last 9 months.  This was primarily due to a badly deviated septum and bone spur that had to be surgically corrected.  The infections are pretty much under control now, but I still have one big problem.  At night, especially when I sleep, I get extremely congested, and I have to breathe out my mouth.  Now I have been getting dry mouth (I don't think it's an infection, because I don't see any evidence of that).  I also have a very bad dust mite allergy.  I'm worried that if I take antihistamines and decongestants, it will clear the nose, but make the mouth symptoms worse.  What can I do?
Answer:
by National JewishBlank, Sep 13, 2004
Sinusitis is an inflammation of the mucous membranes that line the sinus cavities.  Inflammation of the sinuses could be due to an allergy, an infection, or ongoing exposure to an irritant, such as pollution or smoke.  Symptoms can include a headache or pressure in the area of the sinuses, a stuffy nose, achy teeth, an odor coming from the nose, postnasal drip, cough, sore throat, laryngitis, lightheadedness, constant low fever, and thick, yellow to green nasal drainage.  This inflammation can block sinus drainage and cause a stuffy nose.  Typically this is worse at night when you lay down to sleep.  Generally this congestion feels the worst when you wake up and gets better as the day goes on.

The best way to identify a sinus infection is with a sinus CT scan, although sinus x-rays are a decent alternative.  A sinus CT scan will also identify if any of the openings that drain your sinuses are blocked.  If your stuffy nose is due to sinusitis, it will last as long as the inflammation continues.  Here are some ways to clear up the inflammation.  Please check with your doctor to see which of these would work best for you.  Please read our Sinusitis MedFact at http://www.nationaljewish.org/medfacts/sin.html for more information.

An antihistamine can dry up a runny nose, but it doesn
Member Comments (2)
by Ellis7, Sep 04, 2004
For nasal congestion: steroid nasal sprays like Nasonex can be very effective. Other things to try: saline nasal wash, Nasalcrom nasal spray, antihistamine nasal spray. If bacterial infection, antibiotics. Link:

http://www.nationaljewish.org/medfacts/sin.html
Sinusitis
by marie2233, Apr 28, 2009
A related discussion, Dry mouth was started.
by CFSZ11, Sep 05, 2011