Respiratory Disorders Community
Smell constantly irritating my body

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Smell constantly irritating my body

On jan17 to now, I keep smelling this odorless smells that irritates nose, like when u hold a chili up close to your nose and it stings, thats how it feels, and i also when i inhale from my mouth i can kind of taste this smoke like taste and feeling in my mouth.  My other symptoms are my lungs hurts occasionally and my head hurts.
And I wonder if this is caused by something in my house like a chemical, because previously i was washing shampoo in a sink that had other chemicals like bleach or cleaning fluids.
      And also previosuly 2 weeks ago i had a bloodlike first aid solution for wounds, dont remember the name, put on top of writing paper, causing a black stain, then i went to go wash in shampoo and i came out i wrote this new sandals. Then 3 hours later i started smelling this chemical smell that hurt my head and irriated my nose but didnt irritate as much as what happened since jan 17. Wondering if that created chemicals reactions that can cause this , but the1st and 2nd paragrph incidents happened in a range of 2 weeks and wondering if what happened 2 weeks ago caused what happend on jan 17 or if this is a new thing OR am i just phantom smemlling.ANd please tell me in your opinion what could've of cause this.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If the smell is due to the chemical reactions it is unlikely to persist for a long time. And it should be absent when you go out. If it persistent, your symptoms could be due to olfactory hallucinations. Phantosmia most often occurs as a result of a head injury or upper respiratory infection. It can also be caused by temporal lobe seizures, sinusitis, brain tumors, migraine, Parkinson's disease and stroke.

So, wait and watch, if it persists or is worsening, consult your doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.