Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Smelly Mucus - Possible Walking Pneumonia or Sinus Infection????

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

About a week ago I had a bad cold...fever, headache, coughing, etc...It lasted about two days. Ever since I have had problems breathing and have been coughing up mucus or blowing my nose a lot. A couple days ago, the mucus began to have a real strong foul odor, and a very bad taste if I coughed it up. I also have some slight chest pains, back pain, neck pain and some morning headaches (I never have headaches). I thought some of this could be caused from all the coughing, spitting and blowing my nose. I am a smoker but have been smoking less since these problems started. I would appreciate any suggestions or recommendations of what to do, or what the actual problem could be.

Thank you,

tthomas
You clearly have bronchitis.  Pneumonia may also be developing, but it is too soon for your symptoms to be severe.  This is called
I have very similar symptoms.  I got a bug three weeks ago that lasted for 3 days - sore throat, stuffy, cough and I slept for an unbelieveable amount of time over those 3 days.  I started to get a cough a few days later.  It got worse and worse.  My chest hurts - in a kind of achey (achy), heavy way.  The mucus ranges from yellow to green/grey to brown, and sometimes is a spotty combination with a pink tint.  The taste is horrible and sometimes I think it tastes like blood.  I quit smoking after my three day flu, but was not a heavy smoker before that.  I would go a few days without, have several, go a few days again.  It was more a social thing.  I did use to smoke more regularly, but it has been a few years since I did it daily.
I went to the doctor for the cough and was prescribed Tussi 12 and Advair.  I have used them both for more than a week and have seen a reduction from all day coughing to coughing here and there, mostly in the morning and if I try to exercise.  The problem is the plegm is still  as thick, discolored and nasty tasting as ever.  I think it might even be getting darker.  I have noticed a reduction in my energy level, but am not running a fever at all.
It is really scaring me.  I feel like I can't breathe as deep as I used to.  I hope someone responds to this.
sounds like a sinus infection......at night all that mucous drips down the back of your throat causing the cough also...the color and odor probably needs to be treated with antibiotics since it has lasted so long       good luck
hello me nisha.i have this sinus type ast 1 year.then occured mucus in my lungs every 1 month or last to 6 months.im havin this mucus in my lungs ,started 1 and a half years.and now im having normal cough,flu,and slight sore throat.im also having mucus in my lungs off and on.and the colour of the mucus aflame is yellow+green not to much green but on my nose is yellow flam.im so scared that this will lead to broncitis.i went to my personal doctor and he ask me to start antibiotic zitromax azithromycin 500mg a day so once a day,i need to take only for 3 days.i just started today.now i want to is how bad is broncitis?am i suffering from broncitis.?i stopped taking cold drinks.im coughing at night and when awake in the morning.my doctor told me that my chest is fine at this moment.but i need to take medications.please tell me what are the main symtoms (symptoms) to broncitis and pneumonia..thank u...
A related discussion, smelly mucus was started.
A related discussion, neck ans back pain was started.
A related discussion, sinus infection treatment was started.