Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Smelly Sneeze

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Smelly Sneeze

I recently had a double root canal done and also had an abcess (abscess) on my gum. I was treated with antibiotics for the abcess (abscess) which appears to have gone away, although I still feel a slight bump on my gum. I have also had a history of blocked sinuses on the right side of my face. Whenever I take an antibiotic, I notice when I sneeze there is no odor. Once I have been off the antibiotics, it gradually comes back. The odor is almost a sweet sort of smell that may linger or quickly go away. My mouth does not have a bad taste anymore and I was wondering if this is related to a possible sinusitis or sinus infection? Have you heard of this before and what do I do?
Sinusitis is an inflammation of the mucous membranes that line the sinus cavities.  Inflammation of the sinuses could be due to an allergy, an infection, or ongoing exposure to an irritant, such as pollution or smoke.  Symptoms can include a headache or pressure in the area of the sinuses, a stuffy nose, achy teeth, an odor coming from the nose, postnasal drip, cough, sore throat, and thick, yellow to green nasal drainage.  The best way to identify a sinus infection is with a sinus CT scan, although sinus x-rays are a decent alternative.  A sinus CT scan will also identify if any of the openings that drain your sinuses are blocked.  If this odor is due to sinusitis, it will last as long as the inflammation continues.

The most common cause of sinusitis is an infection, especially when the mucus is green.  Sinus infections can be difficult to treat since they respond slowly.  When any of the openings that drain your sinuses are blocked it will take longer to clear a sinus infection.  If a viral infection is the cause it
i would ask your ent dr if you could possibly have pseudomonas....this usually thrives in moist environments and has a sweet odor to it...do you have any nasal drainage when you have this smell?
I have alot of drainage in the mornings, but not typical throughout the day. I will definitely see my ENT about this issue... Thanks for the information!