Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Something catching my breath

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Something catching my breath

Hi, I'm fit/non smoker and I've been experiencing a weird feeling (not burning) down inside my lower throat area, approx 3" below my adams apple behind that soft area at the very top of the chest. I have also have a low constant wheeze with crackling sounds coming from this area of the throat as well, and gets worse when I lie dowm. This has been constant for the last 6mths. I've been for a chest x-ray which was fine and my lungs feel fine, Thank God. But I'm still very worried. The doctor made me blow into an air-flow meter which read 550-600 (I'm 5ft 8" athletic build) which she said was very good and it reads this no matter how wheezy I am or how bad my lower throat area feels. I do have light reflux now and again but I don't think It's bad enough to cause this...(Low constant Wheeze and crackles) I may be wrong, but this is all I pretty much think about and its me worried. Any help or advise would be very greatly welcomed. Thankyou  
Yours is a legitimate concern.  Your description suggests that there are abnormal sounds (“wheezes and crackles” arising in or near your large airways.  Now present for 6 months, that is definite cause for further investigation.  It is reassuring that your chest X-ray was interpreted as being clear but disease of the larynx and  large airways (the trachea or windpipe and the right and left main bronchial tubes at their origins) is often not evident on routine chest X-rays.

I suggest that you and your doctor request consultation with a lung specialist (Pulmonologist) for direct examination of these large airways.  This is generally accomplished by direct visualization of this part of your respiratory system with the use of an instrument called, a fiberoptic bronchoscope, and this can be performed in an out-patient setting.  It may be that the acid reflux you experience is actually worse, causing inflammation of the larynx and/or bronchial tubes, than your mild symptoms would suggest.  This examination may provide an answer to what is going on but it may also be necessary to proceed with further radiologic tests, such as a CT Scan of the chest with special attention to that part of your chest from which the abnormal sounds seem to arise.

This is not exactly an emergency but my advice is that you not delay seeking further medical assistance..

Good luck