Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Something strange in throat when exhaling

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Hi, I am female 23, always been healthy, ex-smoker, excercise regularly, no known allergies or asthma.
Please anyone who has any ideas or opinions on the following reply to this, I just look for some peace of mind!
I have had post nasal drip for nearly a year now, I think it's been either the same for all this time or it got slightly worse over the time.
But what bothers me most about this is that there is something in my throat, some unidentified object/mass, that partially impairs my breathing. E.g. when I exhale hard and fast, I can actually hear the sound of something being in the way of air flow. I noticed this only few days ago at my last apt with my doc when I was breathing into the device to measure my lung capacity, and it totally freaked me out. The doc said it is probably mucus in the throat from the PND, as my chest and lungs are clear. Another doc said it could be some kind of inflammation, so I don't know.
I am just concerned whether it can't be something more serious, throat cancer or something?
I will not know for sure until my appointment with ENT specialist in a cpl of months (NHS!!!!!), that is why I look for peace of mind.
Thanks a lot for your help.

This certainly can be from postnasal drip or could be something else.  The only way to really know is for the ENT to look into your throat.  Postnasal drip can give this sensation.  This can be from either allergic or nonallergic causes.  If this is really frightening to you, your family doctor could probably take a look down your throat or send you for an x-ray to see if there is anything present.