Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Sore in Nostrils

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Sore in Nostrils

Hello, I am have a sore on the inside of both of my nostrils. The sores are right beside the opening of both nostrils, and they are on the sides that are close to the center of my nose. I have had the sores for a year now. I do not think it is the dry winter weather because they came last summer and are still there this summer. I sleep with my humidifier every night because it is the only thing that keeps my sores from burning. Sometimes they will get better and will almost completely heal. When I spend the night at another person's house, I do not bring my humidifier. When I don't sleep with my humidifier, that is when they are the worst. The sores don't bleed much. Also, when I go without my humidifier, every time I blow my nose, they is a lot blood on the tissue. But the blood doesn't come from the sores. It comes from deep inside my nose. So I am wondering if I have more sores so deep in my nose that I cannot see them. Also, (sorry for being gross) I always have a lot of dried boogers in my nose. They are either light or dark green and sometimes have dried blood in them. What do you think this is? Should I see a doctor? I am 22 years old and have never had this happen before until a year ago.    
Sounds like you have chronic rhinitis, which is inflammation of the nose.  Rhinitis can be due to infection, allergy or neither of the two.  Using the humidifier is a good idea.  Also you might want to try a thin film of a water-based lubricant, such as K-Y Jelly.  If that doesn't help, you should see an ENT specialist.

Also, the virus, Herpes Simplex can also cause chronic nasal inflammation, and often can only do that when the nasal membranes are dry.