Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Sore when i breathe in

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Sore when i breathe in

Hello. When i breathe in, it hurts alot. Sometimes it hurts in my back too and a bit in my throat, but mainly in what feels like my lungs in the centre of my chest slightly to the left. I have a tiny bit of phlegm but i'm always fighting a post nasal drip so i'm not sure it's related to the pain i'm getting. I also have a dull headache. I had a dry cough two days ago which stopped. It has been sore to breathe in for 5 days now and it's constant... not limited to mornings or evenings. This has happened to me about 2 or 3 times a year and eventually goes away on it's own but I hate to feel this way for weeks. The doctor told me there was nothing wrong with me so i never go back about this problem. Any clues? I'd appreciate hearing if this sounds like something identifiable.
Thanks.
There are several possibilities for the symptoms you are describing.  Some involve the upper airways, such as allergy or sinus.  Allergy can cause postnasal drainage, burning, and coughing.  Sinus involvement can cause all the same symptoms, as well as some chest problems.  It is also possible that these symptoms could be asthma.  The best test for asthma is a breathing test followed by a bronchodilator and another breathing test.  This measures how much the bronchodilator helps your lungs by reversing the problem.  There are lots of people with asthma who have normal pulmonary function tests but show reversibility and the symptoms you describe.  You might consider seeing a local Board Certified Allergist for help in making the diagnosis and getting on appropriate therapy.
I've had two instances of pain when breathing in.  One was a lung clot, and the other was pulmonary edema from either an infection or an acute pneumonitis.  I have IPF-UIP, unknown, and not referred to pulmonologist for the years that my lung X-Rays came back as interstial lung disease.