Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Specs of Blood in Phlegm

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Specs of Blood in Phlegm

I am currenty 21 weeks pregnant and for the past 4.5 months when I clear my throat or cough something up, there are small specs of brown stuff and specs of blood in it.  I went to 2 different doctors when this started and both said allergies.  One Dr did a chest x-ray and said it was clear.  I am just concerned because it is still going on 4 months later. Its never alot, but I dont see how blood in phlegm can be normal.  Just wanting another opinon on what it could be.  Thank You!
Your concern is appropriate.  Coughing up blood is never normal, but in many instances in a young person, especially when there are specs of blood rather than gross blood, the bleeding originates in the nose or adjacent structures, and the cause is benign.  Nevertheless, its having persisted for 4.5 months it cannot be ignored and it is unlikely that allergies would be the cause.

Given this and a reportedly clear x-ray, you should seek consultation with an ENT specialist for a careful, direct examination of your nose, throat, sinuses and larynx with the use of a fiberoptic laryngoscopy.  He/she may also want to do a CT scan of your sinuses, with the appropriate precautions, given your pregnancy.

If the chest x-ray was not interpreted by a chest radiologist, you should request that this be done, for assurance that a perhaps subtle finding on the chest x-ray was not detected by your doctor.  Review of this x-ray will obviate the need for a repeat x-ray.

If the ENT exam is normal, so it fails to reveal a bleeding site and the chest x-ray truly normal, you may want to seek consultation with a pulmonary specialist.  You should also try to recall if you have previously had any experience similar to this, especially with menstruation.

Good luck.
Hi.

I am a 22yr old female and have recently found tiny specs of blood in my phlegm. They are bright red and are tangled in my mucous.

I am a little concerned and wondering if you could assist with a possible answer.