Respiratory Disorders Community
Spinal stenosis C3-C5 and left diaph hemiplegia. Are these conditions r...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Spinal stenosis C3-C5 and left diaph hemiplegia. Are these conditions related"

Has anyone else experienced these conditions together? Read that the diaphragm is stimulated by the phrenic nerve which arises high in the spinal column. Had intense cervical pain and was diagnosed with the stenosis after an MRI. They put me on morphine but the neck pain eventually went away, and any concern from my doctor went away with the pain. Right around that time I had an abnormal chest x-ray because the paralyzed left diaphragm formed a dome shape. This all occurred maybe 5 years ago. Should I be concerned that the right diaphragm may go? Thanks for any advice you may care to share with me.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Paralysis of the diaphragm can cause difficulty breathing as this is the main function of the diaphragm. If the cervical spine is diseased it can cause problems with the phrenic nerve. But phrenic nerve palsy can occur without any known cause also. If at present you do not have any symptoms, you don't need any therapy for the same.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Hi Ted

I have bilateral paralysis of the diaphragm and have just found out that I have spinal degeneration c4-c7 this was confirmed after MRI scans. I am in the process of having this investigated by orthopedic and neurological surgeons.

I have a long history of shoulder and neck pain which was thought to be brachial neuritis but now with the MRI results this diagnosis is now in question.

I have found my diaphragm paralysis to be a game changer but not the end of the world. I was a generally fit and active person who was always on the go which I think has helped me thus far.

I am now very limited in what I can do so sport now is out of the question as is most activities that require any form of exertion.

I have bought myself a Powerbreathe breathing exerciser to help build up my other breathing mussels i'll let you know how I get on with this in time.

Let me know if you still check this site and how you are getting on.

Kind regards
Charlie
Hi Ted

Kind regards
Charlie