Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Spitting Up Blood

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Spitting Up Blood

Currently I am spitting up small amounts of blood in a clear mucous.  Occassionally it is just blood that I am spitting up. Deos not appear that the blood is clotted.  I am spitting up when I clear my throat - for every 6 or so epsidoes of spitting I am spitting up yellow mucous without blood. There is no trace of blood in either nostril and no bleeding within the mouth, gums etc...  I can feel in the lower portion of my throat a slight sore throat, I can feel blood in the area and the blood has been going on for about 36 hours.

About a week ago I had a sore throat, ears were blocked up but did not have much drainage discharged thru my nose but had drainage that accumulated in my throat area.  The ears cleared within 72 hours and was able to remove ear wax with a Q-tip.  I also had About 4 days later I started to experience bad headache above my right eye (around eye brow and eye socket).  I was taking Excedrin Migraine and seemed to help with my headaches.  Discontinued the Excedrin yesterday morning and still have a slight headache but have not taken anything.  I do not have any issues with breathing and just had a CBC and physical within the last 6 weeks where all was good.  Any ideas?
The key question is where is the blood originating.  It could be from your throat, your sinuses, your larynx or down in your lungs.  The yellow mucus suggests an infection.  Given the symptoms in your nose, throat and ears, the most likely site is your sinuses.  That could also be the reason for the headache you had.  You may or may not need an antibiotic for the presumed infection, but only if it is bacterial.  You should have a good exam of your ears, nose and throat.
I am no doctor but I went through a similar situation...I had yellow and green Mucus and a bit of blood. I was told that when the mucus is yellow or green it usually indicates a viral infection. That could be the cause of most of your symptoms...have you gone to the doctor to get a Culture test of your throat?
You might want to go see a doctor because coughing up blood can be a sign of a very serious condition. But if you had a bad cold recently you may have torn your throat up so bad that you caused it to bleed. This may have happened in your sleep when you are unaware that you are clearing your throat.

But I would see a docotr ASAP just to be sure.
I believe that yellow/green mucus indicated a bacterial infection, not viral. Anyway, sounds like you had something like Sinusitis recently. That can easily cause post-nasal drip into your throat - when coughed up it can have blood in it (which is actually originating from your sinuses). I had a small amount of blood in my sputum a few weeks ago. Based on my symptoms, he prescribed an antibiotic, and the sinusitis cleared up, as did the cough, and no more blood in sputum.
I would suggest having a qualified doctor check you over. My mom was coughing up blood for 6 months while doctor after doctor including a pulmonoligist said it was allergies,sinus, etc...finally ended up in ER with SOB and coughing etc..she was diagnosed with lung cancer. Today she is fine and has been cancer free for over a year now. I am not trying to scare you, but this could be serious, just like it could be not so serious, you just have no way of knowing. Please get yourself checked out.

Kim
A related discussion, Spitting Up Blood was started.
A related discussion, a bit of blood in the spit was started.
A related discussion, Spitting up blood was started.
when i wake up in the mornings i always fell like theres something in my throat so i take it out & usually mucos but thes past days blod comes out where it covers the whole mucus then it just dissapers after the 1st couple of spits
Hi, I need some help. Im 19 years old. And for the past weeks, I have been coughing up blood, sometimes the blood is thick and fleshy looking. I have been experiencing a sore throat and nausea. I do not smoke, and have not had the flu, my coughs comes any time only when I feel like I have mucus in my throat. What could this be. Lauren