Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Spitting out blood this morning

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Spitting out blood this morning

Back in November, one morning when I got up and spit some salava into the sink, it was a pale pink. A few days ago - about the same thing happened. This morning, I spat into the sink and the salvia was fresh red in color. Since then all is normal. I don't have a cough. At most, I sneeze quite a bit and sound a bit nasaly when I talk and maybe just a tiny bit of hoarseness in my voice. I had a tooth pulled some time ago and wonder if during my sleep, I bit the inside of my jaw on the sharp edges of the two adjoining teeth? I see the dentist next Monday. If this does not keep happening, do you think I need to be scoped, etc? Thanks for your help.
It is common to have a little bleeding from the nose during the cold dry months of the winter.  This is usually related to the heat and drying of the lining of the nose.  If this is an isolated event, there is probably nothing to be concerned about.  If this becomes more persistent and intense, it is a good idea to have your physician look into your nose and at your throat.  It is not likely that your tooth is causing this problem, but the dentist can examine the area.
From Designman: My doc ordered a chest x-ray. I had that done this afternoon and have not heard back. What are they looking for in my chest? I really don't think it is my gums.
It's Designman again. I just got a call from my doc and he said the chest x-rays were fine. No tumors, no fluid build-up, etc. So good news there. He said if my blood spitting gets worse, he may send me to a Eye-Ear-Nose and Throat doctor and have them take a look.
Could be your sinus's. What makes you spit when you wake up? I bet it was a relief when you got the chest x ray back. I hate the worry and wait. I know I've had blood before and was so worried I couldn't sleep or eat. Definetly helps you lose weight, LOL.
Hey I had the same thing.  And went to the doctor, I had 3 chest x ray done and nose throat doctor and it came out negative for cancer.  It turned out that I had Acid Reflux Syndrome in which stomach acid come back up, doing damages.  I'm still in the middle of it, and once in a while I get up, not coughing but my throat would feel weird and if I try to spit enough, blood would come out.  So it may be the same thing.  Ask your doctor if it may be that.