Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Spontaneous pneumothorax.

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Spontaneous pneumothorax.

Hello, I am a 19 y/o female who is a non-smoker and has had no previous respiratory issues. That is until 2 months ago. I was working when I started feeling some pain in my chest and a little difficulty breathing. Me and my partner decided to sit for a while and then decided to go for one last walk around (I do foot patrols around a college campus). Sure enough while we were walking I suddenly became extremely short of breath and felt like I had a giant rock on my chest. They transported me to the hospital and diagnosed me with a spontaneous pneumothorax. They also said I had developed a pneumomediastinum and a pneumopericardium at the same time. Since my recovery I have had some back pain. However it has been getting really bad over the past few days, to the point where I had to miss work because I was in agonizing pain. Is this normal after having all those conditions? I don't want to go to the doctor an spend a ton more money and have more radiation out through my body I it is not needed.
The pleuritic chest pain that accompanies spontaneous pneumothorax may take weeks or months to resolve.  Although the persistent pain is likely to be a consequence of the pneumothorax, it would be wise for you and your doctors to consider the possibility that the “back pain” might be caused by something else.

In either event, you must advise your doctor of “the agonizing pain” and arrange to have a chest X-ray immediately to confirm that the pneumothorax has resolved and that there are no complications such as a large fluid collection or what is called a tension pneumothorax, a condition that results in a shift of the heart and adjacent structures to the other side of the chest and, if a marked shift, can be life threatening.  Another possibility would be the development of a pneumothorax in the other lung, that also being a very dangerous situation.

Please do not waste any time.  Call your doctor now and/or have someone take you to the nearest quickly reachable Emergency Room.  If there is no medical facility nearby, you should call 911.  What you are experiencing is potentially a very serious condition.

Good luck