Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Sporadic Infant lung rattle

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Sporadic Infant lung rattle

My 10 month old daughter has developed a sporadic lung rattle accompanied by wet cough and sometimes vomiting of bottles.  She was born three-four weeks early but had no lung/respiratory symptoms until she was almost nine months old.  The duration of symptoms can range from one day to three days and seems to have to real pattern for onset.  She remains very active, has limited wet coughing/sleep interference, an occasional low grade fever, very good appetite, and no weight loss or diarrhea while her previously listed symptoms are taking place.  I took her to the dr. when she developed this issue and was told that she simply had a chest cold.  However, I am concerned about the reoccurance of the same problem.  I don't want to over or under react, and would like to know if I should have tests run to see if there is a deeper rooted problem causing the symptoms to come and go.
Thanks!
Your daughter’s doctor is probably right to take a conservative approach to your daughter’s symptoms, of relatively recent onset.  It is reassuring that she continues to appear to be in good health and may well already be on the way to recovery from an uncomplicated “chest cold”.  But, you should not hesitate to ask the doctor what he/she believes to be the most likely causes of this cough, for example asthma.  Also ask whether any further testing might be appropriate at this time, for example chest x-ray, testing for cystic fibrosis (CF) or other inherited respiratory problems, such as secondary tracheobronchomalacia.

In truth, not enough time has passed, since the onset, to be very concerned about any of these possibilities, but should her symptoms persist for another month or two, even along with the appearance of good health, further investigation might be warranted.  If her doctor is unwilling to proceed with additional testing at that time and you are not re-assured, you might want to consider requesting a second opinion, if only with one of his/her associates.

Good luck.