Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Squeak in right lung

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Squeak in right lung

Each time I get any kind of cold that comes with a cough (dry or otherwise), I have a squeak/rattle in my right lung when exhaling  while laying on my right side (4 times this year, so far). The urge to cough and clear it will actually wake me out of a sound sleep, so I try to avoid that position when sick. Even if I do cough, it's still audible. I'm 29, female of healthy weight. Why do I get a wheeze or squeak on one side EVERY time I'm sick? Is it normal or does it indicate something more serious than a cold -- should I see a doctor?
I find your well described “squeek-rattle) to be credible.  You made a good observation regarding the sound being localized and it could be a sign of something awry in one of the 3 lobes of the right lung.  

Four possible causes come to mind:  1) aspiration of a foreign body (food or other) that is still stuck in one of your bronchial tubes, 2) the so-called right middle lobe syndrome in which that portion of lung is predisposed to poor clearance of mucous and infection, 3) a condition of the lung called bronchiectasis in which a part of the lung is anatomically abnormal/damaged  and prone to get infected and, 4) a congenital or acquired narrowing of one of your bronchial tubes that allows mucous to collect.

For starters, my advice is the next time you get “a cold”, a cough and hear the rattle, arrange for a doctor or his assistant to examine your lungs and request a chest X-ray.  Ultimately, you and your doctor may decide to see the advice of a lung specialist (pulmonologist), your doctor either formally or informally with a lung specialist colleague.

I believe, especially given that you have had four episodes in less than a year, that your condition deserves medical attention.

Good luck