Respiratory Disorders Community
Staph infection in the lungs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Staph infection in the lungs

My fiance has Cystic Fibrosis, in the past few months its seems as though he was getting worse, well he just went for his regular check up and they told him that he has staph infection in his lungs. Is this going to hurt him bad? Will he get through this? How can they treat this? This will make the cystic fibrosis worse, won't it?
Unfortunately cystics are always fighting one form of infection or another. It is common for cystics to colonize bacteria as well, such as pseudomonas aeruginosa, staph aureus and others because the lungs are a perfect breeding ground for bacteria due to the sticky mucous. I personally grow out B. cepacia (not a very nice bug), staph, steno. maltophillia (sp?) and pseudomonas about every time they culture me. When I get sick, the colonies are usually much higher and I have to get IV antibiotics. Treatment might mean antibiotics taken by mouth or IV's if your boyfriend's lung function is sliding or he is feeling unwell. With a good blast of antibiotics, the infection should be controlled...he may continue to grow staph out of his sputum after treatment though. Over time, CF does get worse...it is a progressive disease. Every person's course is different...with proper treatment (chest physio, supplements, good nutrition, antibiotics with infections, etc) and compliance (I have a tough time with all of this sometimes) hopefully there won't be a rapid decline. But like I said, everyone is different with this disease.
How advanced is your boyfriends CF? Just curious...I am fairly mild but still do all of the typical meds with CF as well as IV antibiotics frequently (my cepacia is a huge reason for IV's because of the resistance to many antibiotics)
Any more questions, just holler....Sunny
My husband has cf and has lots of stomach problems in a yr we have been in the hospital for a bowl obstructing 4 times one stay was a month long and every time he has had something wrong with his lungs phonemia  3 times and this time its  a staph infection  in his  lungs  Wat would be the best meds for him to get rid of it and we have kids 8 and 6  can they get it and Wat do I do to make sure they don't. They don't have cf ( previous marriage kids are from )
Also y every time he has. Bowl abstruction his lungs r sick too?