Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Still having chest congestion

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Still having chest congestion

I came down with a bad case of bronchitis about a month ago and just got over the coughing last week. I was on doxycycIine which cleared it up pretty quickly. I still have congestion in my lungs every day since. I have returned to my daily exercise routine last week which consists of 45 - 60 mins on a treadmill. I can work out without any problems but my lungs feel like they usually do after a workout all day and then the congestion sets in again overnight. I don't have any SOB either.

I'm a 50 year old male, recent cardiac work up all normal, I have lost 70 pounds over the past 18 months, but still need to loose another 50. I am prone to frequent bouts of bronchitis, once or twice a year. Also, I had asthma as a child, doctor says he thinks its back. Any idea how long it is normal for the congestion to last? Did I start working out too soon?

Thanks in advance.

Jon
Complete resolution of acute bronchitis can take up to 3 months, so the persistent lung congestion is not worrisome.  You should, however, have a chest x-ray to be sure you don't have an unresolved pneumonia.  If you do, the cause would need to be determined.  It could be useful for you to consult with your primary care doctor or with a lung specialist to determine what makes you "prone to frequent bouts of bronchitis."

The clinical distinction between asthma and bronchitis is not always clear-cut and so you could have had acute, perhaps infectious, bronchitis that resulted in exacerbation of your asthma that you are experiencing now.  In that case you could obtain symptom relief with the prescription of anti-asthmatic medicines.

No, you did not start working out too soon.  The return to your exercise program, along with weight loss, is evidence of your commitment to good health.  Keep it up.

Good luck.