Stopping anticoagulation after PE
I'm worried about stopping anticoagulation therapy after a first time symptomatic unprovoked Pulmonary Embolism. All blood work has come back normal, recent CT Angio came back normal. I had what they called a "small, incidental" PE in my lower left lobe, they didn't even measure it because it was so small and was resolved within 60 days of it being diagnosed. The symptoms took to me to the ER although they said it was so small that my symptoms probably were not caused by the PE.

I'm just looking for others who have had similar experiences and how you are feeling after discontinuing anticoagulation after unprovoked PE.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

How long has it been since the embolism? Was it a single episode? Continuation of anticoagulant therapy depends on recurrence of episodes and if it was triggered by reversible risk factor such as surgery; 3 months of treatment is usually adequate for such patients. The risk of recurrence is high if thrombosis was unprovoked (“idiopathic”) or associated with an irreversible risk factor such as cancer. So, the number of episodes and the causative factors determine the duration of use for anticoagulant therapy. Please discuss all the options with your doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.