Respiratory Disorders Community
Straining to complete yawn, yawning all day, feel i just need a deep b...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Viewing 201-347 comments:
I'm 13 and have had this problem for 3 years so far. I have no clue what's going on. Whenever I'm not thinking about it (example- I went to the GA Aquarium the other week and I had no yawning/sighing problem the whole time there, but when I got back, it came back), it goes away. But when there's nothing to think about (example- at home on the computer or watching TV), I always to seem to have to do it. Since I've had it for three years now, it's nothing to me, it just annoys me to have to always inhale to try and get that "one breath" every 3 minutes or so.
I've tried some of the breathing techniques and they are seeming to help, but it just really upsets me to have to think about going through this when I'm older.
My father had a problem similar to this when he was younger, and it makes me want to think it's genetics, but I really don't know.
The doctor's have told me it's just a feeling, but a feeling wouldn't last 3 years.
Continue the breathing techniques for the suggested duration, and the problem will eventually go away.It may take 3 to 6 months, but the breathing exercises will keep you healthy. Do not give up.
i have the same thing ! i pretty sure its either allergies or anxiety i am 15 girl healthy other than what i am going through!
i am taking nasonex and zyrtec ill let you know how it works.
i have the same thing, too. i strongly believe it is anxiety because the more i think about it the harder it is to catch a breath, but if i am busy and occupied then i breathe just fine.

i just wish somebody would tell me exactly what to do to make it go away!
clarissa15
plz tell me how about zyrtec and nasonex efficiency.Coz I have zyrtec. If it work I ll take it Thanks
Hey i defiently think its anxiety I went to the E.R and they check my breathing and they said everything was fine! They even said that i was getting the air all the way into my lungs all the way to the bottom and my lungs were completely feeling up, That makes me think it is anxiety  RESEARCH TIME! ill be back let you know what i find!
Mine is full blown today. Can't take a deep breath, tingly, feeling doom...I haven't had this in several months now.  I should be able to tell myself it is nothing.  Taking so many meds..I am disgusted
I find taking iron helps. I have had this about twice a year. I do not suffer from any type of anxeity. I know I have issues with my iron and B12 dropping, and usually when this happens if I take a b12 shot and iron pills for about a week it makes this condition return to normal.
Hi, I am certainly not a physician so I am not going to diagnose you or anything, but I want you to know how much anxiety can convince you something is wrong. It actually perpetuates the perceived problem the worse it gets. I responded because I get the same thing every now and then, and the more I concentrate on it, the worse it gets, but if I am distracted and doing stuff I have no problems breathing. I remember when I was a kid I was so afraid of throwing up and getting a stomach virus, at times I would get so worked up when I heard someone I knew was ill, I would make myself sick I had so much anxiety. Trouble is, when you don't recognize it as anxiety because you don't know you have it, it can be just like the real thing,

One other thing that can cause yawning and breathing like that is opiate withdrawal, so if you are taking any narcotic pain medication, such as Vicodin, and stopped taking it abruptly, that is a very common effect. Of course you are young, but that is so common amongst kids your age these days, getting meds out of Mom and Dad's cabinet. Of course, not saying this is what you are doing, but if it was then this would help you recognize it, that's all. Although I doubt you are from what you say.
I have had this symtom.I ever blood test,ecg,pft it normal.Until I was EMG exam.Result conclusion call myopathic feature.However I don t know this result relate with difficult to take a full breath or not.I would like every one try to EMG exam.If someone have emg result like me it may be able to conclusion or scope cause of this symptom" Thank
I have experienced occasional brief bouts of shortness of breath for more than 50 years but did not give them much notice until approximately 1 month ago when the problem persisted without a break for about 10 days. A blood test showed that I had iron deficiency anemia and I was put on iron pills. This helped only slightly so the doctor ordered a variety of other tests including an ECG, CT Scan and MRI of the chest. All of the results came back negative. However, 4 days ago during one of the tests the technician said that she had the same problem and that it was caused by dehydration. She recommended increasing my water intake and avoiding coffee and artificial sweeteners because they are diuretics. I researched the symptoms of dehydration and found that I had most of them so I decided to try her suggestions (minus the coffee avoidance). To my amazement I am already seeing a marked improvement. Could the solution be that simple? It seems it could.

Hi I feel like I have the same thing. I'm 25 and I reckon I started getting a sighing problem at the age of 7. It is worse when I eat and when I chew chewy gum. I feel like I have to tilt my head back and wait for the throat to relax and then I get get a deep sigh in. It comes probably twice or three times a year The doctors gave me antidepresants saying it was anxiety. But why am I getting anxiety when I eat?? I get anxiety when I get this breathing problem cos I get so frustrated that I cant sigh properlly. I feel it is a physical problem, such as a sticky epiglotis. I'm yet to get this checked out so I will let you know what the doctor says.
Look at my post of Mar 06 ,2010 and try the relaxation techniques described there. Your breathing will improve gradually. Your feedback will help others.
I also have that problem.  Yawning is sometimes the only way to get that deep breath--and it's not always easy to get that deep yawn, which adds to the frustration.  I think it's anxiety since it will completely go away if I don't think about it, but the moment it does go through my mind, it comes back, and the more I think about it, the worse it gets.  I had a bout with this in my mid thirties that lasted for several years.  Then it totally went away for 20 years (while raising kids--lots of other things to think about).  At 56, I got laid off (certainly an anxiety trigger), and then found another job, but the yawning situation came back, and remained even after I found another job. I've had it for several years again, but it's definitely not as bad, because I really do feel it's an anxiety thing, and I know if I focus on anything else, the sensation will go away.  Just accepting that it's an anxiety thing really helped.  
I've had this condition since I was around 7 yrs old.  ( 35 now.)  The thing is, after 1 yawn I would feel completely better.  It wouldn't come back for a long time.   Fast forward to 2 weeks ago.  I got suspended from my job for something I didn't do.  Also my building I live in is taking me to court to remove my dog.  I have been extremely depressed and stressed out as of late, and my breathing problem has gotten out of control.  Every 3-5 minutes I need to try and force myself to yawn otherwise I feel like I'm suffocating.  If I can't yawn, I go in to a panic.  I almost feel like killing myself.  Eventually my body allows me to yawn, and I feel better for a few minutes.  I really need to get this fixed right away!  I cant live like this.  3 days ago I went to the emergency room.  I swore it was some heart problem or chronic lung issue.  I was in the hospital for thirteen hours before they discharged me in with no diagnosis.  Everything checked out fine.  This added to my frustration.   I almost wished I had anything....this way it could be dealt with.  

The doctor thought It was anxiety.  I kind of think the same thing, but I don't know.  I've had a pretty ****** life thus far with a lot of stressful things.  Why would my new issues send my lungs into crap mode?  I can't do anything I normally do.  I can't run, go to the gym, anything!!! Doing simple things like walking to the store has me completely winded.  Of course once I yawn I feel a lot better. ( for 3 mins ), then it's the same thing all over again.

If I'm sleeping or completely distracted like when I'm playing my ps3 cod mw2 my breathing is fine.  The minute I think of my condition it gets really bad.  I really need some help!  Seriously, I will do anything!  If anyone knows a hypnotherapist in the NYC area, please email me.  I'm eternally desperate and suicidal over this... thanx.  :(
The Yog Pranayam (breathing exercises) will  help you relax and also help with the breathing difficulties.You will notice benefits in days.
Initially do kapalbhati and then anulom vilom, and then when your breathing improves, do all the the pranayams in order, as described. Come back to report your progress, so others can benefit.
Build up your timing gradually. If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after 1 minute.

Bhastrika - Take a long deep breath into the lungs(chest not tummy) via the nose and then completely breathe out through the nose. Duration upto 5 minutes.
For 30 seconds, while doing bhastrika, also raise both your hands above your shoulders when breathing in and then bring your hands down quickly(like a weight lifting movement) when breathing out.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and hold your head steady. Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.
Age over 15 years -do this for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Age under 15 years -do this for 5 to 10  minutes twice a day.

Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Age over 15 years -Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Age under 15 years -Repeat this cycle for 5 to 10  minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 12  times

Once you are better, continue the pranayam once a day.
Be patient, as the benefits will show up gradually.Only by doing you will benefit and feel good because you are helping your body.Those who say I have tried everything....
will be amazed at the result of doing pranayam.
I have the same problem. I've been researching to see what I have. I'm 14 and this started 3 months ago and its really getting to me.I seem to need to take a deep breath every 2mins and sometimes I can't. I panic sometimes because I feel i can't breath.I haven't told anyone because well I dont like to be a bother to my parents or anyone.Someone plz tell me what I could possibly have. Anxiety? Dehydration?  Sometimes I feel like dying. :( Help me I cant take it anymore.
I have the same thing. They are symptoms of hyperventilation. Which *****, but at least it isn't something incredibly life threatening. There are more symptoms associated with hyperventilation, but not everyone is affected by all of them. For my entire life the doctors thought I had asthma and prescribed me 100 different medications that didn't do anything. Doing some research online I found that I regularly fit 12 of the 14 symptoms of hype (as in at least 4 times per week) and every once in a while i get the 13th. I guess I must have it pretty bad. I just hope I find something to make it better. I really began to notice it when the humidity started to get bad. I knew something was wrong because moderate humidity is supposed to be really good for asthma. This may just be me, but I don't have trouble breathing when I run; I actually breath better directly after. I ship off to USMC basic soon, so I am h3ll bent on finding something to help before that, just in case something were to happen to me.

Here is the list of symptoms. See for yourself if this sounds like it could be your problem. (I starred the ones I have)

*Feeling anxious, nervous, or tense.
*Frequent sighing or yawning.
*Feeling that you can't get enough air (air hunger) or need to sit up to breathe.
*A pounding and racing heartbeat.
*Problems with balance, lightheadedness, or vertigo.
Numbness or tingling in the hands, feet, or around the mouth.
*Chest tightness, fullness, pressure, tenderness, or pain.

Other symptoms may occur less frequently, and you may not realize they are directly related to hyperventilation. These symptoms can include:

*Headache.
*Gas, bloating, or burping.
*Twitching.
*Sweating.
*Vision changes, such as blurred vision or tunnel vision.
*Problems with concentration or memory.
Loss of consciousness (fainting). (the only one I have never had)

Because of the tunnel vision, concentration/memory loss, and twitching I really thought I had ADHD (all shared symptoms). I am starting to doubt that now.

Again apparently all of these symptoms do not affect everyone, and when they do you may not even know it is related. Also I am not a doctor, so don't take my word for it. Look it up!
(Sources - 2 private practice doctors, WebMD.com, Wikipedia, emedicinehealth.com and UMM.edu)
A quick, yet really weird way to help the symptoms is to close your mouth, plug one nostril and breath in and out using only the single opened nostril. this limits the oxygen intake for each breath. Now this might seem counter productive, but the real issue is not lack of oxygen, but rather lack of CO2. When someone breathes in too deep and too rapidly the expel the small amount of CO2 before the body can build up more in your blood stream. What does this mean? Well simple math dictates that if you are no longer building CO2 to exhale, than the majority of what you are exhaling is vital O2. which is why you cant inhale all the way (it isn't what your body needs).
When I first did the nose thing it was pretty hard. I thought I was going to pass out. Sure enough after an agonizing minute of maintaining regular-single-nostril breathing, while suppressing gigantic yawns, I started to feel just fine.

You should also try to breathing exercises. This means not using your chest. (i found this odd).
Instead you are supposed to inhale through your nose with only your belly moving up (no chest movement at all) then exhale through pursed lips while tightening your abs (again, no chest movement). This is supposed to work the correct muscles in your diaphragm. Apparently using only your chest, while getting you bigger breaths, actually flattens the diaphragm muscles and causes them to expand less over time. This causes you too put more effort into breathing, causing you to breath more, causing you to expel too much CO2, causing you to hyperventilate, causing you read this thread again, then have to repeat the entire cycle. Breathing from the stomach works the lower portion of the diaphragm. This is the part that is least constricting to your lungs, allowing you to build them as big as you want without any issues.
This exercise made me want to pass out too, so be sure to do the nose thing first, then work on this when you are feeling better.

Again, I am not a doctor. Please do your own research. I would love to learn a thing or two as well.
The breathing techniques described in my July 18, 2010 post will help anyone with breathing problems. Do it today and feel the benefit.
That is actually not true. I talked to a doctor and showed them your breathing techniques and they said that if a person who was hyperventilating tried to do Bhastrika it would exacerbate the symptoms and if you tried Kapalbhati it could actually kill you.

On the other hand Anulom Vilom and Bhramri Pranayam are supposed to help just fine.
Your comments welcome.Thank you to the doctor for approving some breathing techniques.Read my post carefully, several times, and note the cautions.Trying a little to see how it works, is better than just reading.
People on this forum seem to be all different ages, sexes, etc., so it makes you wonder what we all have in common.  FOOD!  The one thing that we all do is eat food and the one thing about food that will cause breathing problems is Gluten Intolerance.  And it can happen at any age.  Before you go see doctors and have a bunch of tests, try a gluten free diet for a couple of weeks & see if that improves your breathing.  You'd be amazed how many people are gluten intolerant and don't realize it.  When you intestines are inflamed, they press on your diaphram and make you feel that you cannot get a full breath.  Also, try taking probiotics with your food.
I was speaking with my boss this morning and we came to the conclusion that my breathing problem could be linked to the food and allergies. I've tried breathing exercises and they do help but I get short of breath when I eat and chew chewy. The doctor gave me antibiotics which made me feel smacked out, I'm going to try a Glueten free diet for a few weeks and see if that helps. I'll report back when I've tried this.
Thanks for pointing it out.
I have had this problem for the past 3 yrs now, it first started when I was pregnant 3yrs ago and I was so concerned that I went to the ER where they told me I had hyperventilated. I was very disheartened by this because I was STILL having the problem, so I knew that wasn't the issue. Since then I get certain "bouts" that last up to weeks, but I've noticed that my hardest time is when I'm eating. I constantly have that feeling of not "catching" enough air, and having to wait for the air to feel like it actually goes down into my lungs. There are random times that are worse than others, but it's been a daily struggle. I've seen numerous doctor's for my problem, and have tried inhalers, keeping a stress diary (but I know that it's not anxiety), etc. I just recently went to a new physician regarding this issue, and I have researched that some doctors feel that it could be related to acid reflux and allergies...so that is my new experimental treatment. I have been taking Prilosec for the reflux and Zyrtec or Claritin for the allergies...only been 3 days and so far no changes, but I'm still hopeful! And to those suggesting the breathing exercises, some of them I have tried and they have felt somewhat helpful...but mainly they just make me more tired and even more out of breath...but thank you for suggesting them! :)
iam experiencing the same problem  difficulty when inhalling..i dont know  what went wrong with me it just started when i tried to do breathing exercise to improve my breathing but to my dismayed i dont know what happend that i cant take the air 100% into my lungs 2months ago since now.. pls any help or who know any medication on this.. i already seek 3 doctors and run to many laboratories like 2D ego, chest x-ray, thyroid scan, blood count it seems all normal result but why i i cant breath normaly as before everytime i am inhalling it seems that the air is not circullating so well in m wind pipe.. pls any help or advice..tnk you so much
You need to remove some stale air from the lungs.
Do the following exercise 5 to 30 times, and see how you feel.
Kapalbhati - Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and hold your head steady.
Thank you for the information on the breathing exercises. I have been having the same anxiety problems as many on this site (having to yawn to feel I am getting enough air every 2 to 3 mins), which has been getting worse over the past few months and the Yog Pranayam seems to be keeping it at bay.
Very pleased to  see that Yog Pranayam is keeping the yawning problem at bay. You will feel very good that you have learned something to solve the problem. The pranayam will help you with other health problems as well, so keep doing it. Thank you for your feedback.
I have this yawning problem but I have another strange thing, whenever I am near colleagues they also yawn and feel sleepy. It is as if I am release some gas from the gut that makes them yawn, feel tired and sleepy! It makes me feel embarrassed. My doctor has given me medication for reflux disease but to no avail. What could be the reason?
The same thing happens to me i am really scared that i am going to stop breathing during the night because at night i have to sleep with a pillow right against my chest otherwise it feels like i cant breath at all. I mean right now i am taking deep breaths and still not feeling like i get enough air even after i yawn about a minute latter i cant breath agian and i cant keep yawning becuae i feel like i am giong to throw up. this also happens sometimes when i take a deep breath i gag for some reason. Its gotten worse lattely whats wrong with me is it my lungs my heart what? It feels like idk how to explain how my chest feels it dont hurt but it just dose not feel normal like there is pressure or somehting i also feel dizzy sometimes if i get up too fast can someone plesae tell me whats wrong with me i dont want to complain to my parents because they will think i am looking for attention i am  18 so i can go to the doctors myself but i dont have the money for it. what do i do. and i know my parents probably wont pay for the doctor bill anyway becuase i am 18 and i have to pay for everythign so what do i do?
I listed most of the symptoms of something called Hyperventilation Syndrome (HVS). This is when you hyperventilate on a regular basis, sometimes so often that you don't even realize it is happening. There is a big difference from ordinary hyperventilating and HVS. Go ahead and read through that previous post to see if you fit any of the listed symptoms.

ashton326 I was told that the stress and anxiety of knowing you have something wrong is more than enough to trigger the actual attacks. So I wouldn't rule those out completely. If you have to come here for help there is obviously a bit of natural anxiety involved. I have always found that it gets worse when I think about it; Just another hint that it is anxiety related.
My sister has had the same thing since she was 17yrs old. I have had it on numerous occasions. My daughter is now 19yrs old and  has just started getting the same feeling about 2 weeks ago like she has to yawn and can't get the right feel good deep breath even shortness of breath. My sister was told by more than one DR. it's anxiety/panic attacks
Do the kapalbhati first for about 30 times, to expel the stale air in the lungs, and then do all the pranayam, with concentration.Remember  the benefit is felt gradually, so allow at least 12 weeks, but give it a try.
The sympts you all describe also happen to me on occasion.

At least in my case, it is indicative of my heart condition acting up. I suffer from CHF, congestive heart failure. Generally I have no symptoms, but the feeling short of breath, strange excessive yawning, and chronic cough all appear when things are acting up. It is not unheard of for me to get mild occasional dizziness and fatigue as my heart works overtime to do its job.

Very simply, CHF is when fluid builds up around your heart. It may be a constant state or it may come and go. I was diagnosed with asthma as a young kid but never really had relief of symptoms until I was diagnosed with an enlarged heart and CHF and started medication for that. Now I'm not sure I ever really had asthma in the first place! I never wheezed, even during an attack, which makes sense of the fluid and restriction was actually from the heart and not the lungs

It is unlikely that CHF will be diagnosed without an echocardiogram (ECG/ultrasound of the heart) unless it is relatively severe. I have only ever had one doctor able to discover it without that test-he was a cardiac transplant specialist and could hear the difference in a heart struggling with CHF and a healthy heart. It is more subtle than a murmur and most docs, even cardiologists don't seem to have sensitive enough hearing.

It makes some sense that some of you experience worsening symptoms during meals, when the heart is working on revving up digestion and breathing is coordinating with chewing and swallowing. It also stands to reason that in mild cases exercise may improve symptoms because your body automatically begins taking in more oxygen and utilizing it more efficiently.  Finally, anxiety causes hyperventilation, rapid heart rate, and raises blood pressure, all things that involve stress on the heart. While Anxiety may or may not be a primary cause for initial symptoms, once it sets in, it certainly will perpetuate matters.

Talk to your doctor and good luck to all.

PS-I do have reflux as well and have taken several meds for it, but have never found a correlation with the symptoms.
I had have the yawning and inability to feel like I can catch my breath for about 3 months now.  it is driving me nuts!!!  It makes me very tired on the days that I have the symptoms.  I can have symptoms for several days in a row, then no symptoms for 1-6 days in a row.  After reading all of the postings I believe that we are talking about two or three different problems here.  So be careful when reading and deciding what is best for yourself.  My doctor also couldn't figure out what was going on and assured me he didn't know anyone who died from it.  That was reassuring and sort of ticked me off.  Doctors can't always diagnose all problems and sometimes you need to see more than one.  I'm still searching for a doc that is familiar with this problem.  I can not relate any cause- not anxiety, not a gluten allergy, not a reaction to diet soda ingredients, etc.  I am a fit 45 yr old female.  Exercise neither makes it lessen or worsen.  On the days i have symptoms, exercise is just annoying because i yawn the whole time.  On days when I don't have symptoms, if I talk or think about it (or read these threads) I can feel the urge coming on, but I can stop it.  I'm going to try the Yoga Pranayama's because I have done these in yoga class in the past and believe they may help, at least until I can find a cure.

Has anyone here seen a neurologist or a pulmonologist?  

That is my next step.  I want to rule out anything having to do with the Vagus nerve which is what controls our yawns.  And I also want to rule our excess CO2 (however my blood test came back perfect and CO2 was not an issue.)
I hope we can all find a reason and a cure for this terribly annoying and embarrassing problem.
Hello...Thank you for your situation with congestive heart failure. I have suspected my problem with breathlessness had to do with my CHF but wasn't sure. I was diagnosed with "mild" CHF in 2008 when tests after being admitted showed enlarged heart and leaky valve and shortness of breath especially when attempting to sleep. At first after several tests came back negative for certain problems the doctors told me it was probably anxiety and panic but I had no reason to believe that. After the echogram they said it was CHF but very mild. It doesn't feel mild when I struggle to get "good" breath as I call it but I guess there's nothing really to do about it. My oxygen level is okay whenever I have gone to emergency etc. and so I'm just sent home. The last time they said it probably wasn't anything to do with the CHF I guess because the xray showed no fluid and my oxygen level okay. Anyway I need to mention it to MY doctor again so she knows it's happening quite frequently. Thanks for sharing as it does confirm to me what I believe to be the cause in my case. I know that many suffer from the same symptoms and I feel for them. It is not pleasant.
I was thinking as previously posted that my problem was my diagnosis of mild congestive heart failure. I am not sure now because I also have a hiatal hernia  and was motivated to look at the symptoms for it and low and behold I find that it can cause problems with breathing because the hernia causes the diaghram to press against the lungs and sometimes the heart and can definitely cause problems that have previously been stated ie shortness of breath and struggling to get enough air  and other problems with swallowing etc. I am going to talk to my doctore to see if this may be the cause and what can be done about it. Just thought I would mention this as a possible reason that others have as well. You may not even be aware that you have it. Hope this helps somebody.
I have never had this before in my whole life. Then when I laid down to go to sleep last night I went to yawn as a normal person would just before bed but I did not get the satisfying breath that I usually do. So I tried again and again. I was really freaked out by it and after about 10 minutes or so I did have a mild anxiety attack. So I took .25mg of Xanax and fell asleep about 30 minutes later. When I woke up I still was not able to take in a satisfying breath. So I went on and did my morning 1 mile run. After the run I felt fine but I still was not able to take a satisfying deep breath and just be done with it. I am sure that I began to obsess about it and that just made things worse.

I want to mention several things that I think are important. One is that cows milk is terrible for humans. Not only are most of us allergic to the protein in it but also the penicillin that they use to treat the cows. I personally get lots of mucus in my throat and lungs when I drink it. I am constantly clearing my throat. Because of it I have had bronchitis many times. I am now 39 years young.

Here are some things I think should be considered:

-I like the idea of closing the mouth and holding a finger over one nostril and breathing. It proves that WE ARE NOT going to die of suffocation. In fact I tried this and I honestly felt better rather quickly. Within about 15 minutes I was able to take in a nice satisfying gulp of air.

-If you think you may have even the slightest allergy to milk I would get off of it right away. There is almond milk, rice milk, and soy milk and they actually taste a lot better once you're use them. In my case milk causes to much mucus production in my throat and lungs and THIS IS NOT A GOOD THING no matter how you look at it. You may find that you have the same issue.

-Death by suffocation is a horrible thought and it naturally promotes fear which can cause anxiety which can cause psychosomatic symptoms. Trust me when this started happening to me things began to feel surreal and I though to myself: "I can't live like this for the rest of my life." Do something, anything to get it off of your mind!!! If you're married go have sex!

-And if all else fails then I would suggest going to a pulmonary specialist. I would skip the good ole family doctor all together. If there is an actual problem with the lungs the pulmonary specialist is the best person to figure it out. And if your tests come back negative then it must be psychosomatic.  

I'm also not a doctor but I am a logical thinker and this is my analysis of this weird phenomenon.

Wow I feel better already. I hope this gives some of you hope and relief.

God bless you all. I also know how weird and sucky this is!
I have had this issue for close to 40 years....off and on.  I am now seeing a pulmonary dr. due to having such a horrible 'productive' cough during our abnormally hot and humid summer.  When the weather cooled down, the coughing slowed and is almost gone.  But there is the issue of feeling like I need to get a deep breath and have to struggle to get it.  Also there is 'stress' in my chest.  I have had the broncoscopy but a month later, nothing is showing on the cultures.  In the past I have had EKGs, stress test, echocardiogram and nothing has shown up or at least, no one sees anything.  We all have stress to some degree in this world of economical problems, world problems, etc.  It wasn't like this 40 years ago.  I am hoping when I see the pulmonary dr. later this month he will be able to shed some light on this situation.  I wish you all good luck for I know how frustrated you feel!!!!
I have been suffering with this anxiety for 5 years now. I have been to my doctors several times convinced there was something wrong with my lungs/heart or something. I had an ekg., stress test, wore a heart monitor, treated for asthma, everything was normal or better. I felt crazy, and they probably thought I was too.
I do suffer from depression and anxiety for sure though, I have had a lot of difficult lie issues to deal with, the worst being my 16 year old son was killed in a car crash almost 5 years ago. I take Wellbutin and Effexor as well as 1 mg of xanax daily. I also have this breathing issue everyday- and it seems to be getting worse because I also feel like a lump is in my throat and my voice will get raspy, and I get figetty. I work in a professional, public environment and I know people wonder why I am trying to yawn all the time. I am really sick of feeling this way, but i don't think anything will take this away.
KarenMc
November 30, 2010
Let me know how you feel after 9 days of doing pranayam.
I'll briefly explain. It is caused by over breathing which messes up the balance of carbon dioxide and oxygen. Everyone on this post has chronic hyperventilation I am sure of it. Your blood HAS to have the proper amount of carbon dioxide to be able to deliver the oxygen to the cells including the brain cells. Over breathing blows off to much carbon dioxide and the oxygen just rides around in the blood but can't make the exchange to the cells due to the low carbon dioxide. The result you feel out of breath because you are. Your cells are not getting enough oxygen. It is a cycle that you get caught in and it is difficult to break because when you feel out of breath you want to breath more but actually you need to breath less so that your carbon dioxide will build back up. If you've been this way for a long time it could take months to fully recover but you will. When there is no proper balance in oxygen and carbon dioxide it is called respiratory alkalosis. Your cells are starving for oxygen that is why you feel the way you do!

Do this: Keep your mouth closed and always breath through your nose: first point. Next expel all of your breath from your lungs through your nose and hold your breath as long as you can with your lungs empty. When you can't hold any longer slowly draw in air through your nose. Pause then let it out slowly again and hold your breath again with your lungs empty. Do this for no less than twice a day for 30 minutes. It may be hard but you HAVE TO build up your carbon dioxide. I promise you the CO is totally to low from gasping for air all the time and your respiratory center in your brain has now been conditioned to NOT allow enough carbon dioxide. That is why you and everyone on this post is stuck! Breathing less is the ONLY way to reverse it!

The Buteyko exercises are the ONLY way out of this. Period! Ge the book from amazon called "Close your mouth" it will reverse this. After a desperate struggle with this it has been 100% reversed. God is good!
This makes alot of sense because one possible cause of excessive yawning could be caused from decreased oxygen in blood.  Low iron causes low red blood cells/hemoglobin which carries oxygen. Although, I have this yawning issue and I notice when I get very stressed or overwhelmed like I am now its worse and I will actually freak myself out I think and feel like I cannot breathe at all which causes even more anxiety.  I dont know but I have this problem now and its very annoying and I feel like if I am around alot of people I have to constantly walk away to catch a breath to yawn b/c it seems so much worse/harder to get a deep breath in front of people.  Does anyone else have that problem? I have been worried.. I had this problem about 3 months after my first son and I went to ER b/c it was so scary it was non stop and got harder to take a deep breath to complete the yawn.  It lasted a few months and eventually went away.  I wonder if it was due to low iron-b/c that would make sense wouldnt it? low iron after delivery?
I do that also. It does not have to be around people, it can be anything on my mind at all that will not let me get the breathe. In your case it probally just takes people being around to do it to you.
I just found this thread, thought I was the only person in the world with this. I have had it all my life, can remember back to around 6 even. For me as a child, it was mostly as I ate and got full. It was always the same thing, I would have to relax, catch 2-5 or 6 yawns and it would then go away. Everytime, some longer than otehrs but it would alwyas go away. Until about 5 years ago. I went it to a nitemare situation. Long story short, I was taking adderal for a month. When I quit, I went into this chronic cant catch a yawn for 72 hours.I was in hell, went to 3 emerg rooms. The 3rd day without one sec of sleep I got to a doc, he did not know what it was but gave me hydroxyzine. I dont know why it worked but it did and it worked like a miracle.I could instantly catch my breathe. Now I am having a 2cd atacck but this med does not work this time. I am freaking out. One thing I dont see over explained on this thread is how it feels for me like I MUST catch these breathes. If I dont, I feel I am goiong to suffacate. IF it is indeed the breathing, why did a chemical change make me go into some sort of spasm. When I quit the adderall (adderrall), I am positive it is the reason why I had the first long attack. Now it is sorat backwards, this time it came from taking, not stopping, but taking Cymbalta. About 14 days in all of a suden it hit me so I know it is from this. I stopped and feel wierd even though only on it for 2 weeks. But this breathing thing, why is there not more knowledge on this? It is really hell...
Do the kapalbhati, described in my post of July 18, 2010, to get back to normal breathing.
The stale air will be expelled, to get oxygen more oxygen into the blood.
I Will do that.... I have tried some things breafly and it does give me hope that this is what is going on. THe reason I say this is because if I was told any of this before I tried it I would have said no way. The reason it makes since now is if I do any of these things that temporarily make breathing less, I can imedeatly usually take one nice breathe. Tht would have normally made no sonce at all to me as holding my brethe in any way wuould have seemed to me to only make it much worse.  I know the goal is not about that one good one, it is about long term.
I want to much to stay on this anti depressant. SO now something hits me....
Do you know how when you first start an ad it makes you ( at least me ) have more stomach acid. THat acid that makes it easy to have some come up in your throat. Well is it possible that this acid is what lead to this current episode? Because I have acid issues and there is a second total coincednce here. 3 days before this episode started I had changed beds. And my other bed I had jacked up. This one is not. SO exactly 10 days into the AD and 3 days into the level bed ( no longer jacked up ) I had this episode start.  So would you be able to guess on this? What I can tell you is I do know my body as far as knowing it did happen because of the AD... What I dont know, is did it happen cause of the brain chem of the AD or did it happen because of the changes in stomach acid from starting this AD? ANy guess? Sorry for the way I ramble and spell, I am to lazy to correct it... Thanks for the help
I too struggled with the inability to take a deep breath.  It would get better at night as I slept, but midway through my day my back would feel tight and I'd notice myself yawning all the time.  I'd come home and pass out on my bed from exhaustion.  I went through the ringer of docs, starting with an allergist, heart doc, lung doc, you name it.  They ran all kinds of tests and basically told me I was crazy or it was all in my head.  My then boyfriend, now my husband, suggested I try his chiropractor.  At that point I was willing to try anything.  After an examination he told me my ribs that attach to my spine were out of alignment. I explained to him as I had to all the "Medical Doctors" that it felt like something was pushing on my lungs and not allowing me to get a full breath of air that satisfied my need to yawn.  My chiropractor told me that a rib out of alignment can cause the muscles around it to spasm and/or swell which is probably what was causing the feeling of "pushing on my lungs" when I tried to breath.  My chiropractor adjusted my ribs along with the rest of my spine 3 times in one week.  By that weekend I was breathing normally again!!  Fast forward 13 years...my husband is now a chiropractor because of the amazing results I had, he wanted to learn how to help people get their health back in a natural and non-chemical or non-surgical way.  I strongly recommend seeing an upper cervical chiropractor and get checked out...better breathing could be a very gentle adjustment away for you like it was for me.
Do not worry too much about how and why it is happening. It is difficult to guess answers.
The pranayam described on June 18, 2010 post will help you with your problems. Do all the pranayam everyday and you will need less medication over the long term. One of the first few benefits will be better sleep, and the body will do its maintenance much better, when you sleep well. So keep up the daily pranayam and post the benefits you experience.
ive been doing this for a few weeks and i went to one doctor she seemed not to care didnt do any tests nothing. i went to another and had a breathing test done an ekg and an x ray. i was diagnosed with asthma. which didnt seem like a big deal until they told me i have to go seee a lung specialist. the inhalers arent working and im feeling worse and worse. i do have anxiety but i have a medication. i cant lay on my back or sit in a certain positions i have to wear loose clothes and when i cant take my breathe sometimes ill stop breathing and i start crying sometimes bc my chest hurts so badly but crying makes it 10 x worse.
i mnot sure what to do but ill come back when after i seee the lung specialist. im just scared.
i am also going to school to be an MA so once i learn morfe ill know more  im onlyin my 3rd week. ..
i have same problem ,could be lung nodeuel
You do not have GERD, GERD is just a name assigned to a set of symptoms you have in order to sell you pills.   If you believe you have a disease, then you also believe you have no power to fix it and are dependent on pills to supress the symptoms and will never be cured.    I don't recommend doing kapalbhati in isolation but if it is followed by reduced breathing, it is beneficial.  It is a stimulating breath and you need to active the parasympathetic nervous system(relaxation response) so doing alternate nostril breathing to the count below would be of more benefit

Solution:
You are all over-breathing and need to reduce your breathing rate.  Always breath through the nose.  Inhale slow, and shallow for 3-4 seconds and exhale slowly for 8 seconds. Do not inhale deeply, I know you feel that you are not getting a deep enough breath but it is because you are breathing too much you are having this sensation and actually need to inhale less.   This should be your normal breathing pattern.  No more than 4-5 breaths per minute.  The more you consciously reduce your breathing, your mind will be programmed to maintain that rate unconsciously.  When you over-breathe, usually due to stress, you expel CO2 quickly and your Sympathetic Nervous system is activated.  In this state, the smooth muscle(LES) at the GI junction will not function and you will develop GERD like symptoms, bloating, IBS, Chronic Fatigue, AutoImmune Disorders, Gluten Intolerance, and a whole host of problems.  The longer you can hold your breath, the healthier you will be.  Look into the breathing aspects of yoga and you will see that holding your breath is key.  Your doctor will not diagnose you with this as it does not benefit him.   I had been to 30 doctors and every test imaginable.  Thought I had GERD\Celiacs, and a hiatal hernia and even had an endoscopic procedure done to repair the hiatal hernia which I never had.  Doctors do not care to find the root cause of your problem, only to perform procedures and prescribe pills.

I would highly recommend meditation as well as it will help you to find answers within instead of external solutions in pills and doctors.
I have found the same thing.  The problem seemed to start after I had my last baby and it's not only scary, it's frustrating.  I went to Doctors but got a weird look.  Then went to my Chiro and told him my problem.  He mentioned something about spine, ribs and nerves and gave me one session and it went away.  Whether posture due to stress exacerbated it or posture from breastfeeding (or both), I don't know - but now I try to keep up the yoga and the breathing hava mentioned and then go back to the Chiropractor when it gets out of control.
hi guys, im so glad to have found this forum! I thought I was going crazy with the same issue, as no doctor seems familiar with it. However in speaking to my friends, I find people DO get this more often that we think, my friends have agreed that they have had similar symptoms, but theirs have not lasted as long as mine. Some seem to get it for a day, other 2-3 months, mine has lasted 8 months and I can't seem to get a break.

I've been to the emergency room TWICE, because I got so freaked out and thought I was dying. I've also been to the GP who said I have asthma, which I do not...so after the inhaler didn't work, i of course worked myself up into a frenzy and ended up in the emergency room again. They did an x-ray of my chest, measured oxygen levels, and hooked me up to some sort of heart monitoring machine. Everything came back ok. The emergency doctors look at u as if you are crazy or trying to get time off work (I needed a notice from them because I was there at 4am and had work the next day...she looked at me like I was some sort of schemer !)

So, I can definitely understand what everyone here is going through, how frustrating it is and also how scary. I do think anxiety contributes to this, as when I am anxious it gets 100 times worse and I can even have a panic attack on the spot (mouth gets numb, adrenalin through the body, etc). BUT, if i didn't have the initial symptoms, there would be no reason for my anxiety.... Therefore its a catch 22, or whatever you call it. I get super anxious BECAUSE I have the symptoms, not the other way around, but more anxiety makes it worse. I really don't know what to make of it.

I will try the breathing exersises (in fact just sitting here and reading this forum, I closed one nostril to breath through the other, and noticed some immediate calming effect and less urgency to breath, but it hasn't completely gone away). I will also try the chiropractor, and possibly even an acupuncturist.(my friend had an illness which I forgot the name of, where your hair falls out in chunks which caused her panic attacks, and an acupuncturist has done wonders for her, she is 100% recovered and the hair grew back even.) I'll even try the gluten free diet, I'll probably get a blood test for that first though.

I did have something that I could maybe attribute as a cause (a distressing event that I found difficult to get over), but the breathing problems started more than 6 months after it happened and I was sure I had got over it. Other than that event, I have no other way of explaining it..........  I'm sure people out there have more stress in their lives out there, than I do. I don't understand why I have this problem.

Anyway, I will report back if I have any success. Surely, we can all get past this....if human bodies can recover from tumors and other horrible things, surely we are not beyond help.

(but whoever suggested closing one nostril, thanks :)) if nothing else, it brings some immediate short-term relief (so far) and helps to calm the nerves.)
Very good of you to share the benefit of pranayam you are experiencing.Your feedback will help a lot of people.
The alternate nostril breathing is called anulom vilom pranayam.Keep your eyes closed and concentrate on your third eye(in between your two eyebrows), do get better effect.
Allow 2.5 seconds to inhale and 2.5 seconds to exhale. Try and do it for more than 15 minutes, up to 30 minutes, and you will notice other benefits.
I go through yawning,cant get deep breath so badly that my whole life has changed, I dont drive far because when in a car the whole experience is amplified 2 fold...witch leads to panic attack..its horrible..
I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping that this post can still help some of you.

I experienced this very same thing. It's true that stress worsens the condition, but what brought on the propensity to want to yawn without fully filling my lungs, was anemia!

Very similar symptoms to stress!

I wasn't getting enough iron. This was easily rectified by taking iron supplements and I was surprised just how fast I began to feel better.
I took spatone sachets in a juice or squash mix.

Research anemia guys, it could well be the answer to this horrible suffocating feeling. At least - it was for me!
Thank you for your comment.  I think you are right in my case because once I relax I am fine. I have a bit of an adrenaline issue and get all worked up as well as asthma which only magnifys the situation. Soon as relax it stops so it is definitely stress in my case! I need to mellow out. :-) 13rabbit:-)
First time i experienced this was 9 months ago and i freaked out. It seemed i was going to suffocate during sleep. I will try out the breathing exercises. I believe this is caused by the following, anemia, stress, anxiety and panic.
i have the same problem as you guys. in my case i think it's because of anemia, stress, fatigue,and lack of sleep. plus my problem of breathing through my nose because of my enlarged adenoids (adenoids). i'll just see if after my operation i'll get better.
i've had this problem intermittently for as long as i can remember... no GP seems able to solve the mystery (surprise surprise!)
from what i can deduce it usually occurs during stressful periods, possibly also when i am pre menstrual. my iron levels were normal last time they were checked when i had this problem.
i find that exercising really helps, although it feels a bit strange at first. going for a gentle run seems to loosen my chest up a bit so while i still feel the need to take very deep breaths, it is easier to do so.
also does anyone know if this is something which affects mostly women? i wouldnt be surprised if thats the case.
finally... im so glad its not just me, im 26 and this is the first i've read about it. thankyou internet and all you lovely people- keep breathing!!!
I am absolutely in shock!!!  I have been saying this for years!!!  The exact same thing all of you are talking about, and I thought it was just me!!!  I have been told it's acid reflux.  But, the med for that are not helping... I can not find anything that helps.  Has anyone had any success, at all??  This is quite a scary thing....
I have same prob on and off since I was 17. Had shadow on x ray ihad done as part of a medical for nursing school, check x ray was fine!! believe this triggered an awareness and worry about my breathing!!! I don't always have it but always returns and seems to be connected to anxiety And low mood!!! I am 49 now!!!!
Look at my previous posts and follow the pranayam (breathing techniques), which will help you a lot. Come back to report your experience, so others may benefit.
I have the same exact problem. I am 22 years old and just quit smoking 4 months ago after smoking for 8 years. So I thought it was from smoking, which is why I quit. But I am still experiencing this. It keeps me awake at night. I am constantly trying to get that "one breath" as you described it. I sigh a lot and yawn a lot as well in an attempt to feel a satisfying breath. If anyone knows what this is please help. I had a chest x ray which came back normal. Also, my oxygen level is normal too. So what is this? And how can we make it stop? Anyone??
I'm at the edge of crying as i am reading your post guys..I thought  i'am going crazy because some of the countless doctors that i visited always gives me the look of "Are you making this up"..I've been suffering for this wanting to breath-in more oxygen for 4months now.. and as a remedy i have to yawn like every 3 mins or so.. Once i was even asked by my boss during a meeting if i bored at the way he presents our project..because of my excessive yawning.

- I had 2D Echo, ECG, Stress Test, Name-it-you-like test and nothin comes up. However i noticed on this forum the following observation which
im experiencing myself.

Anemia- I have a low red-blood count.
It doesnt attack when i'm extremely busy and not concious with it.
and excessive force-yourself-to-yawn.

i'm taking medication(Iron supplement)
and try to drink more water and probably try breathing technique..

--worried programmer-

I will kill myself if answers are not found, I simply cannot live like this anymore, in with a bullet out with a smile...word
Look at the post by Itsokimok  , who has benefited from the pranayam - breathing techniques.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Respiratory-Disorders/shortness-of-breath-frequent-yawning/show/14562?personal_page_id=2165

October 4, 2011
I have this exact problem. I try to get a "full breath" (a breath that feels like it hits the back of my throat, if that makes sense) and often can't. I want to yawn often to open up the back of my throat and get a fuller breath. I don't believe this is anything to do with the actual lungs.

For me, there is sometimes burping associated with the feeling. If the feeling is intermittant, the burping relieves it. If the feeling is very strong and ongoing, it does not relieve it. I believe somehow there is gas trapped that is causing a sensation in the throat.

I don't know much about the physiology of the throat, esophagus, and windpipe, but I think somehow the trapped gas causes the sensation of pressure or inability to breathe. Yoga can be effective at relieving trapped gas and relaxing muscles so I am going to try to do it.

This does happen more for me when I am anxious because I feel overpowered by someone else or like I don't have enough space. I believe this is strongly psychological, but that's not to say there isn't a physical thing that could be happening.
read the whole thread there are some possible solutions
i know its frustrating i have it too its frustrating when you get blown off by the people that should know...but they dont
breathe!!!
breathe!!!
      Hi all, I just kind of wanted to share my experience with everyone to assure them and myself that this isn't something that will kill us (Well it will if we continually let the stress build up and overtake our lives, it will cause many problems).

Like many of you it just came on quickly for seemingly no reason at all recently, I was sitting in my new house eating and then I was having trouble breathing and swallowing. It helps that I currently have a nurse at my disposal to bombard with questions whenever I feel I have questions (which is almost every day). Like many others in this post she is not familiar with what's going on. The first time it presented I went to the emergency room, after chest X-rays and blood tests they found nothing. The attacks continue even today which are exacerbated by stress like working and class.

I have always been a deep breather, my normal BPM is about 6-8 which is very low, but living with panic/anxiety disorder we are taught or teach ourselves to breathe effectively to stave off an attack. I was thinking deep and hard about this and the further I recollect the more I do, and I recall it all starting with the inability to take a satisfying yawn or mid-yawn I have to stop because I don't have enough air to finish. Also when taking deep breaths I feel as though sometimes I don't get the full breath, like it's not hitting the lower lobe of my left lung. However, X-rays and spirometry readings contradict me so I am to believe that yes, this is mostly in my head and maybe a little bit of everything else. So let me share with you all the advice I recently got from my nurse about some issues.

CHANGE YOUR DIET!! We should all be living a gluten free lifestyle, it's really hard but the current saying in the medical field (at least where I live) is "Gluten is a Pollutant". Gluten isn't good for us in the first place, it does cause health problems and that's no secret; Also we should all be taking in foods rich in iron (unless of course you are to be on an iron free diet per your doctor's orders), this helps with lots of things like blood circulation, O2 levels, and builds hemoglobin which carries our oxygen to cells and tissues.

Deep breathing exercises! She also told me there is a movement in the medical field to stay away from shallow breathing. With shallow breathing you do not use your lower lobes in your lungs, or at least use them properly. Like all things, if not used it tends to... be less effective. She never heard of the one nostril breathing but I tried it this morning and it does feel kind of zen.

Increase activity level only as you can tolerate. If you feel like you need to sit down... SIT DOWN. Like another person in this thread my Panic/Anxiety did NOT cause this, it was the other way around, this problem CAUSED my panic. If you're like me your mind races with millions of things that can go wrong during this attack and usually it's in a place where I can't just sit and focus on breathing. Talk to your boss/teacher or whoever and let them know your problems. They should understand and allow you to sit and focus on your breath.

Over the course of the next few weeks I will try all of this and see how effective it is for me, maybe this can help some people and I hope it does. Just know you are not alone, and although scary you cannot die from this directly.

Please know that I am a NOT a Doctor nor a Nurse myself. As for a gluten free diet, you should not avoid foods that are good for you but have gluten (unless of course you are on a gluten free diet per your doctor's orders) just avoid taking in unnecessary gluten like ice creams, sodas and other high in fat/unneeded gluten and sugar.
Wow, I thought I was alone in this! This has been has been happening on and off for years but right now it is horribly bad. I feel like I can't catch my breath and always need to yawn, and I my heart feels racey. I also have the sharp pain in my lower back on the left side. It feels like someone tore my muscle in two. I also can't sleep! It started three days ago and in three days I've had five hours of sleep. I'm a hairstylist and it is NOT going to be good for my clients if I don't get some sleep soon.  I also have Fibromyalgia. I wonder if if it's connected somehow. It really is assuring to know I'm not alone though:). Thanks to all who posted and I will be praying for al of you:)
I've had this problem on and off for years--having to yawn and waiting for that extra burst of air that relieves the problem. It feels like there's a ceiling to my yawn, until eventually i am able to "break" that ceiling and get a satisfactory breath from that peak. Usually I am able to get that burst of air within a minute or so of trying. I may or may not have to get another deep yawn soon after.  I don't cough or have wheezing or a raspy voice. Yesterday I wasn't able to get that deep yawn. Frustration turned into concern until I eventually spiraled down into a panic attack. My whole body was tingly, I felt weak, i couldn't walk normal, I thought I was going to faint. Even my vision seemed "tingly". The back of my neck felt cold up to the back of my head. I had chills.I would describe this feeling like a moment you get a fright and your hair stands on end, except that it lasted almost an hour, on top of feeling like you're not getting enough oxygen. I know now I experienced a panic attack, and the symptoms were those of hyperventilation, but the initial symptoms that caused the panic were something else. Just having to yawn, and not being able to!!

I cannot think of a dietary trigger. I had avoided sugar in the past 2 weeks and ate a bunch of sweets the day of my "attack" (no guilt). Don't remember any correlation in the past. I eat extremely healthy, I avoid additives in food but get a good balance of fat, protein, etc.. I am otherwise very healthy and rarely even come down with a  cold. I take no medications at all, never have, i don't smoke, very rarely drink, and don't do drugs. No known allergies, asthma, anything. I do not feel depressed, though sometimes I do get hard on myself when I'm disorganized. I have been depressed (untreated) as a teenager and in my easy 20's, so I know what it's like. Not there now. I am 33, fit.  I am a singer and have great lung capacity.I have had this yawning problem for years on and off and no prior experience with anxiety attacks. I noticed the yawning happens more when I am upset, but it also happens when I am at ease (I think). Sometimes hiking I would have to stop and yawn (clean, unpolluted air). I am generally happy throughout the day, though I think when I'm under stress, i sometimes have horrible nightmares, with occasional "sleep paralysis" (when you wake up and can't move and get terrified). No anxiety throughout the day, not in denial about it.. My skin is sensitive to chemicals, I use all natural beauty care products and mostly natural cleaning products.

Mapping out what happened prior to onset, in case anyone else has similar correlations.

Friday I felt like I was getting sick with the flu. I fought it off over the weekend. Tues all day I had a pain in the upper left side of my back like a localized muscle strain, and it hurt a little to breath all day at work. I guess I was maybe not taking full deep breaths, but no "can't fully yawn" issue. At home I felt mildly sad after a comment my boyfriend made. My mind recalled similar attitude from a guy in my past relationship which ended badly and was a traumatic experience for me. I did not feel super angry or depressed about yesterday's comment, but I felt a little worried that my boyfriend is acting dismissively towards me like my ex did, and wondered if we are at a similar downturn. I guess my mind slowly blew it out of proportion. I confronted my bf and we resolved the issue and we were close, watching tv. 10-30 minutes later (don't remember) I had this yawn frustration. I tried several times to get that yawn in. I started to get a little scared, then more scared, and it compounded with my previous feeling of sadness, and I started to cry with bad thoughts about everything in general. I thought maybe I was having an asthma attack because of the breath problems, but I wasn't sure what that's like. I didn't believe it was an anxiety attack because i had such a physical symptom that was beyond my control, even when I tried to breath steadily with much honest effort I still felt like I was not getting enough oxygen. I never go to the doctor, but I finally declared I wanted to go to the ER. My boyfriend said he thinks it's just an anxiety attack because he knew people who've had them. I entertained the idea but had a hard time believing it. I was afraid to go to sleep, that I may die in my sleep if I don't check in at the ER to be sure I'm safe. I felt helpless and defeated. It helped to talk to someone on the phone that I'd be too embarrassed to be panicky around/and or cry (I called someone I knew with asthma). I eventually calmed down for real after forcing it while on the phone. I was able to sleep but kept waking up at night not being able to get that deep breath. I'd fall asleep and it would happen again numerous times throughout the night. I felt guilt that I was disturbing my partner's sleep. This physical has never woken me up in the past, only nightmares followed by sleep paralysis, or stressful events that were on my mind.

After reading all these posts, as much as I'm a believer that I have no psychological disorders, I think it IS mostly mental. All day at work I was fine. I got home and my boyfriend seemed upset with me about bringing something home. I had a yawn issue or two. I got on this post. Reading these posts I had to yawn constantly and now the back of my head hurts and I'm a little worried again if I will be able to sleep at night. Writing this is exacerbating the symptoms. I am worried I will always have this problem and that it can get worse. Worrying is probably making it worse. If it was purely physical, why did I not have this problem all day? Why does thinking about it make it so much worse? I think I become too aware of my breathing. Sometimes when I think I'm not breathing deeply enough and then it becomes conscious. THis is just awful. It's like torture right now. I need some relief and it's too bad that hundreds of people have posted and there doesn't seem to be an actual condition with known triggers.

Anyone who's found relief... what did you do? Anyone been able to get rid of this completely?

Last night while wiped out and desperate to sleep i had to somehow make an effort not to be effortful with my breathing... and it worked eventually when I got tired enough that this was possible. this *****!!!!

Anyone notice a correlation between mild stress/discontent and an onset of this? Anyone else have sleep paralysis on occasion? Anyone else notice a correlation with sugar? Anyone ever get this when they are obviously happy? I just can't remember the specifics of my past incidents.

I used to have this problem when I was younger all the time because I had really bad allergies. I would just lay awake at night crying because I couldn't sleep while I had this yawning problem. as I got older and my allergies got better it hasn't been much of a problem. I have really bad allergies to dust still and as I'm sitting in my university's stacks right now writing this, the dusty old books are making me sniffle and sneeze and that annoying yawning problem has returned. I was busy studying so I don't believe it's caused by anxiety but I definitely believe anxiety worsens it. too bad my test tomorrow is on the kidneys and not the respiratory system. I'm going to head home and I'm sure it'll get better
You need to expel the stale air from the lungs first, before fresh air(oxygen) can get into the lungs.
To do this breathe out from the nose once per second, as if you are blowing your nose gently. The stomach will contract in, and breathing in will happen automatically.
This is kapalbhati pranayam, I have mentioned in my earlier posts.
Do this expelling of air 60 times, and then do some deep breathing through the nose. Try this and make your comment.
Get the old air out, to let oxygen come in!
December 1 ,2011
Hi guys... I'm only 16 and I also have this same problem, I struggle with normal breathing, I have to take deep breathes before I almost feel 'satisfied' but yet again I have to take more, it feels as if I never get enough O2, my chest also feels heavy and sometimes sore, I have to take a tranquillizer just to go to sleep 'cause I struggle sleeping with this breathing even my heart-rate quickens especially at night, I don't have stress at all and I really need help with this one cause I had it once when I was younger, a doctor thought I had asthma and then again it happend in june/july 2011 but that was cause of stress of exams and now I have it again but I don't have stress and I'm not an anxious person I'm also quite healthy
Have you tried my suggestion in the previous post (December 1, 2011)?
OMG i thought i was alone...infact i was sureeeee i was alone....

i have the sameeeeee problem from about 7 years...100% same prob..n docs sayin...'its all in ur head'..'u have a habbit of doin this'.....my all tests are perfectly normal...etc...i dont want to write it again...but i have 100% same feeling as u guys have..bt i think i am the worst among u all....these days it has increased soooooo much that i really tried to kill my self..bt then somone stopped me..i still prefer to die,than to remain like this...
Q1) wats the name of this prob?
Q2) is there any cure?
Q3) howwwwww can i get rid of it,or reduce it etc?

my email is    ***@**** tell me any update/info/possible cure on this?...i will serve u my whole life..i ll b ur slave forever...just get me out of this problem

has it got to do anything wid cigrettes....my father smokes cigretes n  it started with that ,as far as i can remem... when i inhale..wat he exhales...it shoots up..n  prob increases...it also increases wid toooo much anxity/tension.......bt watever is the case,ITS ALWAYS THERE..i dont remem when was the last time i took a deep satisfactory breath..even after some exercise,i try to breath..n i cannottttt..then i feel like shooting my self

***@****
badar7  'at'  live  'dot'  com

plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz mail me any posible cures..or advices...etc
Im thirteen years old suffering the same problem yesterday i was freaking out cause i felt like i was gunna die it started happening when i was not alot but constantly smoking weed outve cans ... I regret it alot tho ... I have the same problem with yawning but my heart also feels really weird like i dont feel it at one point then all of a sudden BOOM!! And it hurts alot if you have any answers thank you very much ps i also notice im suffering from short term memory loss
Hey man the similar thing happened to me you know what i read one of the comments and it had something very relevent to know it was like breathing excercises and i read the information and it was breathing excercises it said to start out breathing 5 to 30 times out of your nose but my way of doing it is breathing 5 to 30 time out of your nose then take one yawn then if you continue then your body will be used to it and everything will be okay you're not the only one.
its like sometimes when i yawn it kinda hurts a area near my chest and arm so im gonna start doing breathing excercises and talk to my doctor about what else i should do.So im gonna start breathing through my nose until the yawning gets cured i have to force breath through my nose and put my hands on my head so it can be easier doing the breathing excercising but what you should'nt do is worry too much and freak out it scared me when i started yawning alot so i took a seat and calmed down i looked on the computer and i feel comfrontable because im not the only person i can actually talk to someone about this.So what i do is calm down and put my hands on my head and breath through my nose 30 times then i yawn through my nose or mouth but when you yawn you don't want to yawn too fast or too strong you just want too do it calm and when i keep doing this hopefully it will work and i need to talk to my doctor about you should to if your reading this. To all my viewers dont worry about the yawning thing just calm down and start doing yawning excercises Good Luck And God Bless You All :) .
After reading all of these posts, I think there might be only one potential cause not mentioned, although I may have simply missed it. That would be Potassium depletion from taking high doses of diuretics, or just extremely low potassium levels.
Let me summarize all of the potential causes I've read in this thread, forgive me if I miss any, and please list them in a reply.

Hyperventilation Syndrome
Having a rib, (or ribs) out of place
High or low Thyroid levels
GERD
Low Potassium levels
Anemia (low iron levels)
Dehydration
CHF (Congestive Heart Failure)
Hiatal Hernia
Opiate withdrawal
Anxiety/Panic Attack
Gluten Intolerance
Allergies
Asthma
Psychological (all in the head)

Ok, I believe that's it.  So, if you find that your symptoms are caused by one of the above, you can do what is necessary to correct it.  In all cases, I believe it would be beneficial to use the recommended breathing techniques as amended. As they do help with a number of things, including, (or especially), a CO2/O2 imbalance.

For me, it's most likely caused by dehydration/low potassium/etc. as I am on very high doses of diuretics, which flushes out potassium quickly.  Unfortunately, by the time our bodies show signs of potassium depletion, it's already at a very dangerously low level.  As for anemia, I might be anemic as well, but I can't take iron supplements as I don't process it properly. I also am prone to having too low sodium levels and very low protein levels.  lol, and I'm 100lbs overweight with a very low metabolism, inactive thyroid, (although mine is the rare type which is due to the pituitary not telling it to produce its hormones). On a side note, those of you getting your thyroid tested, please request that they test BOTH thyroid hormone levels, (T3 & T4). Most of the time they only check the levels of the T4. Well, actually, that is how it used to be, but I think they're checking both more often now. And some will do a full panel, checking for TSH, T4, & T3 levels, without being asked.
Anyway, I do know that the breathing exercises help greatly. And, while you're dealing with this, do your best to take your mind off of it. Go get romantic/frisky with your mate, start reading a really good book, play video games, exercise, do your homework, anything that can get your brain focused on something else. Or meditate and get your brain focused on "nothing". While you're meditating, do the breathing exercises. :D Good luck to all of you. I'm in the same boat, but, the breathing exercises are helping.  
Just remember that, in and of itself, this problem won't kill you, so try not to stress over it.  If it's found that you do have a serious condition that's causing it, at least you know what's causing it and it's being treated, so again, try not to stress over it. :D  Blessings to you all!
Hi, I am so scared because for the last 2 days my 4 year old son has been doing this and when i ask him whats wrong he says he is trying to yawn but can't. Please help will this go away?. Could he have anxiety at this age.? what can i do to help him?
when he i distracted he stops but then it comes right back.

they say that yawning is contagious. Basically when you see someone yawn, you suddenly feel the urge to. Its not you releasing gases or anything like that.
Thanks to all who posted.  I was in the middle of a major panic attack over this issue and reading the posts brought me out.  Many blessings to all who post.
I think I have a solution!  I've had this only a couple times in my life, and just recently for the past five days. I've had the same feelings, not getting enough air or a satisfying breath, the need to keep yawning which only one out of many times gives that good satisfying breath. Yes it causes anxiety as it is a horrible feeling.  I believe the answer is not in doctors, scripts, and endless tests. I think everyone needs a chiropractic adjustment. I've read only one post on several sites that said they got relief from this. It worked for me. I think nerves get impinged on the spine. The spine regulates all body processes.  I've been to a chiropractor many times in my life (I'm 54 and overweight), but not for many years. My brother gave me an adjustment (right or wrong it gave me relief) as I can't afford the chiropractor as they must take x-rays first. If you can't afford one as many insurances don't cover these docs (which is a shame!), then have someone hold you from behind in a standing position like they are giving you a 'bear hug' from behind, cross your arms over your chest and have them bear hug you putting their arms under your crossed arms. The "bigger person' behind you lifts you off your feet while compressing you in a tight 'hug.' This generally produces a popping noise. That's sometimes all I need to get 'adjusted' and gradually I felt the inability to get a good breath drift away. The anxious feeling was gone as it improved.  I cried reading several sites with many so despondent.  It is a horrible feeling. I believe it is more than anxiety, anxiety is a natural symptom for this which is due to spine out of place. Hope and pray this helps many.
Thanks to everyone who posted. After searching for 1 week what the hell could be wrong with me, i find out that i was just Hyperventilating. Also big thanks to hava for The Yog Pranayam (breathing exercise) after doing that breathing exercise i felt hungry as dog because i didn't feel anymore that annoying "balloon" feeling in stomach. From now on i just try to breath slower and more relaxed.
Good Luck And God Bless You All!
Also been having these symptoms on an off for as long as I can remember. I'm a 31 yr old male - previously been treated for anaemia and currently still on treatmet for chronic GERD. If I stop my GERD meds for more than a week, the heartburn returns. Didn't realise this might be related to my "over-breathing problem". I was diagnosed with anaemia after I went to the doctor complaining that everytime I had to drive on the highway at high speeds, I would feel drowsy and short of breath. The blood tests confirmed anaemia - the reason it only presented during driving was that I was obviously more "stressed" when driving at speed on the highway. I still get the drowsiness and shortness of breath from time to time when driving, and I often get the "yawning" attacks described by other people on this forum, but as far as I know my iron levels are back to normal after a few months of supplementation. The cause of the iron defficiency was suspected microscopic blood loss in the gastro-intestinal tract (possibly inflammatory bowel disorder of some kind, never formerly diagnosed or confirmed).  I found myself back on this forum today because I've been getting the yawning attacks at work, which is embarassing. I've had people ask me if they are boring me!

My theory is that nothing is simple in life and that this condition must be caused by a complex combination of factors, which is why it is so difficult to diagnose / prove to medical practitioners. For example, it may be initially caused by a reaction to some sort of drug or alergy (allergy), or a dip in iron levels or some other physiological condition, but once you become aware of the problem and you are a naturally anxious or over-sensitive personality (I know I am), you start to pre-empt the attacks even when there is no longer a real underlying phsyiological condition. When this happens, you are more prone to having an attach due to psychosematic or psychological reasons, long after your physiological issues have cleared up. The most common trigger is then likely to be stress (conscious or sub-conscious). However, because yawning is also notoriously contagious, another possible trigger might simply be that you either think about yawning or see someone else yawning. Ordinarily, the yawning reflex would be unconscious but because you are already acutely aware of it and anxious about having another attach, the problem is amplified and can trigger an attack. For me, another possible trigger on the road is if my eyesight is a bit blurry (I wear glasses for driving) - I obviously have an irrational fear of either passing out at the wheel or crashing because I haven't had my eyes checked recently. Certainly, one of the biggest triggers of an attack of this nature is the fear of actually having an attack, which is why so many people commented that they couldn't identify any other trigger - the trigger could be sub-conscious. As far as resolving the issue - it's like breaking any habit - take it day by day and make a conscious effort to control the problem by calming down, slowing your breathing (breathing through your nose helps) and supressing the urge to yawn constantly rather than trying to make it happen. While doing all of this, try and take your mind off it and you should see an improvement. If all this fails, you may still have an underlying physiological problem that still needs to be addressed. Hope my story and theories help others....
i have the same problem you need to see a Neuroscientist your yawn has nothing to do with your lungs its our brains + our nerve system
Have you had any luck since this post ?  I just started the same issue a couple of weeks ago and its driving me crazy.  All the lung and heart test have come back normal ??
Hi, Im also 14. Im having the exact samee problem. Its like i cant breathe and I either have to take short, shallow breaths ir long yawning brreathes. I dont know what to do, the more I think about it, the worse it gets. I take claritan, chloratabs, cingulair, & decongestant. I end up staying up until 5-6am and sleeping until 11or so the next day. My mom is making me go to the doctor today to get it checked out. I'll let you know what they say, just in case it helps you, too. But my mom thinks its allergies and anxiety. When im out in town and not thinking about it, it doesnt bother me. but when im riding in the car ir at home, it acts up--- especially when im trying to go to sleep.
Its seriously effecting my life; but im glad to know its not just me. I actually get light headed because i cant breathe sometimes. Im so scared sometimes. so, anything anyone finds out would be amazing.

stay strong you guys- we'll figure something out.
I have the same problem, the inability to complete a yawn.  I have a form of manic illness that manifests itself in protracted insomnia.  I have gone almost two weeks without sleep, I mean ZERO.  Most people don't believe this because it would kill a normal person. I am now in about the 6th day of very little sleep and can't complete a yawn, so definitely associate it with stress and anxiety.  My diaphragm seems "stuck" in that it can't relax enough to allow the deep and satisfying breath.  The more overtired I get (like now), the more anxiety, the less ability to yawn.  Pills don't seem to help, some make it worse.   My problem started when I was 2 (1946).  My mother had TB, had to be taken to a sanitorium, my father, an MD, had a "nervous breakdown."  Later in life, my Grandmother told me that when I cried, my father gave me "those little white pills."  Phenobarbitol, which is a barbiturate.  I feel I never "learned" how to sleep, which is now referred to as "self-soothing."  This period are unbearable, and I long for sleep.  My feeling about Michael Jackson, borne out by his tape saying he "just wanted to sleep" and now Whitney Houston and so many others is that no matter how much money you have, you can't buy sleep.  It's awful and more needs to be said.

I, too, am grateful for this forum to find that many of us are suffering in silence.  I am normally a pretty happy, high-functioning person. But after a week or more of little or not sleep, my thoughts turn to suicide.  So sad.  I wish you all good yawning and let's stick together.  Not enough is written about the yawning subject -- nor is there really good work on "sleep training."  
The pranayam described in my  June 18, 2010 post will help you with your problems. First expel the old air with kapalbhati pranayam, and then do anulom vilom pranayam for more than 20 minutes, twice a day, with eyes closed. One of the first few benefits will be better sleep, and the body will do its maintenance much better, when you sleep well. So keep up the daily pranayam and post the benefits you experience.So many people on this thread have benefited with pranayam - just look back and read their feedback.
February 23 ,2012
I've got the same thing too. I yawn and yawn but I can't get enough air. So I tried a breathing technique My docter said. Take average breaths every 3 seconds, the feeling will go away. It sort of helped. Turns out my dad has it too.
I am 30 years old now, I have had this problem since I can remember. It goes adn come back. The more attention I pay to it the worst it gets. I have had my lungs, heart, tyroids, stomach check. I did had at some moment weird level or my tiroid hormones, but the other times they were not there. i have had gastristis and esofagitis several times, but they also went away. I have had heart problem, and it turns out it was overtraining. I am a elite swimmer and a triathlets, so not being able to breath properly is just killing me. After having the same answer always:  Is just Anxiety, you are probably under stress, I decided to never go to the doctor again. I was also check for allergys (allergies) but they say I have no allergies, even though the doctor prescribe Antiallergics, like Allegra or Zyrtec and Floxonase. The more I breathe through my nose the less symphtoms I have. And usually when I have a free nose I don't even remember this problem. I can't honestly remember when is started but my first memory was when I was around 6 years old, and my mother keep asking me why I was yawning so much, and I just told her that I needed to get some air. Everything that you have posted here I have had. Not so much the headaches.
The gastro problems don't seem to me to be the problem because I was taking nexium and I still had troubles.
Only the antiallergics help. My twin sister develop the same problem 5 years ago, and a doctor told her that by breathing through the mouth she was stressing her bronchious. I have no idea what is right or wrong anymore. I am trying to not take pills because at the end it may turn out to be something lese and you were just getting the worng substances in your body. All I can say is that having a really free nose help me a lot. Even when I don't feel like my nose is the problem.
I hope my post will help some of you. Your post certainly help me feel like I'm not alone in this and that I should just try to cope with it the best I can until someone finally get's a treatment for this.
PS: Stresss and anxiety do make it all worst, but that is just the laziest answer any doctor could give,..it's actually equivalent to: I have no idea what is wrong with you.
Kennedy, I had a similar problem recently.  Everyone insisted it was anxiety, or just in my head  :/  It turns out I had a minor neck injury (slept wrong on it) and my occipital nerve became swollen.  It was causing me to strain for air.  After a while, the area under my shoulder blades began to feel sore/tired. I can go on and on about the Dr.s that continuously misdiagnosed me and how, but I'd rather tell you about the doc that helped.  In a nutshell, I pinpointed the problem, and he recommended that I take a medicine called methylprenisolone.  I believe it's a type of steroid.  I had to take it for 6 days. First day was a 6 pill dose, next day was a 5 pill dose, then 4, 3, 2, and 1.  You're very young so your Dr. might either recommend something else, or a smaller amount.  I feel much better, and can now breathe. There are other issues that might cause this problem.  This is what I found: Aortic Dissection, Obesity, Head Injury, and Sleep Apnea.  Have your parent or gaurdian help you research these terms, that way when you go to the Dr, you'll have someone to help you describe your symptoms and what you think might be the problem.  Good luck, I hope this helps.
I've had the same problem off and on since I can remember.  There are periods of time (months) where I do not have the problem, but when it happens I fight it for days or weeks at a time.  I actually feel like my problem is initially caused by eating products with gluten, as most of the periods when I don't have a problem occur when I'm on an extremely carb restricted diet (I'm an amateur body builder) as by virtue of eating very few carbs I also don't eat any gluten.  That said, I exacerbate the problem myself by constantly attempting to yawn and/or take deep breaths when I feel the urge begin.  After reading up on possible causes, I have had success limiting the duration of my "attacks" by slowing my breathing in what is called a "7-11" pattern anytime I start wanting to get that deep breath.  Basically, you breathe in for 7 seconds and out for 11 seconds as a method or re-regulating the balance of oxygen and carbon dioxide in your blood.  Not only does it seem to regulate my breathing, but it also calms me down as sometimes you can certainly become frustrated/panicked when you are unable to take the breath that you want.  The official name of what it seems most of us are experiencing is "hyperventilation syndrome" as mentioned by someone above.  Google it, and if it seems like what you are experiencing try slowing your breathing...I know it's worked for me.  Or try talking to your doctor about hyperventilation syndrome as it might give them a starting point instead of looking at it as anxiety.
everybody its iron and/or b12 defiency i got the same problems and just figured it out first thing tomarrow im going to my doctor to get some iron trust me i have been goin crazy tryin to figure this out im tired all the time and can't think or concentrate and i've never been this way im really smart and a natural at almost anything but lately not i was just gona let ya'll know so ya'll can get better i know how terrible and useless it makes you feel. (Also the iron levels can be caused by another underlying problem so listen to me and tell your doctor about this seriously!!!!!!) And im only eighteen so I know that if this how i am feeling then its way worse for older people. THIS IS WHAT IT IS TRUST ME I HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH IT FOREVER AND DIDNT EVEN KNOW LIFE JUST STARTED TO SUCK KINDA
heyy everyone...good to know i m nt alone...my mom'z been urging me to go c a doc for several days now...n i knew even b4 going that he wd laugh at my face, or make one of those faces "ahh!another attention seeker"... other than all the symptoms u guys mentioned, i hav HSV-1... i dont think they r linked...but wt do v all knw, plus i feel lathargic all the tym...i hope v all find a cure soon...
i m 24, therz a long lyf ahead, i gotta get married, hav kids n so on...i hope i dont hav to gasp for breath all my life.
Hi, I am a healthy non-smoking, exercising 25 year old female. Two years ago after I got tired of experiencing these symptoms, I went to an urgent clinic, and the doc has diagnosed me with asthma. However, the meds (except prednisone) didnt seem useful at all - including rescue inhaler. So i just got back from the pulmonologist and he thinks that i never had an asthma, more likely what i have is a laryngospasm. In turn, it is not clear what causes that, but im on a treatment pln now, and as soon i figure it all out ill let u all know. My advice - dont waste your time with family physicians, go see a specialist and make sure they perform the breathing tests!!!!!
sometimes eating chicken can get stuck in chest stomach, dont know, but i feel as though i cant breathe and going to die then after it does go down i feel very ill and erratic breathing starts i feel as though my lungs are in my stomach and cant yawn or belch  as i try to belch my breathing stops and i feel very scared and panicky whats wrong dr,s say anxiety disorder and suggested medication and counselling
Well I just started getting this problem too…and am 8…just please don't argue about my age because am too soft and shy but REALLY SMART since kindergarten (Fact:I never starded Pre-k)So anyways I don't know how this is happening am not even thinking about it ): am thinking about my friends but I keep on yawning…also every time I write or say yawn or yawning I just yawn its super weird …I just started but I think it might stop cause I HATE IT D: lol caps anyway I would want this to stop NOW ugh the caps come so randomly without the caps button I hate my iPod lol (am using my iPod)
How to fix your yawning, shortness of breath and  difficulty breathing problems.Do it and then post your feedback so others can benefit.
This is kapalbhati pranayam, I have mentioned this in my earlier posts.
Do this expelling of air 60 times(up to 900 times or 15 minutes), and then do some deep breathing through the nose. Try this and make your comment.
Several people have benefited, and you will too.
March 27 ,2012
I have found how to heal it stop thinking about it just think about school or math or science THINk NOTHING about yawning think about a car accident(if u never seen one think of something else)think anything but your problem of yawning soon it will go away lol I yawned just now…UMM I MEAN DON'T SAY YAWN OR YAWNING think of something happy or sad (don't think of the yawn it ruins it)
Hello everyone I wanted to give you a better post but I didn't find the older post were they refer to the diagnose. Someone wrote down a link relating this symptoms to stomach irritation. I want to tell you that at least for me this is the reason. I check this post in Februar and decided to take your advice. First of all the breathing exercises help me a lot whenever I have this problems. I haven't have this problem for a while now, because I realize it was stomach or diaphragm related so I stopped eating pepper, coffee and all of those things. I actually forgot already about it, but today I ate too much pepper and as magic it came again. So at least in my case I have to say it is related. I hope this will clear things for some of you.
Also in my case when I get the symptoms I try to not yawn at all but do the breathing exercises because yawning just makes it worst.
Good luck I wish you all find a diagnose
What breathing techniques should i apply?
How does nasonex and zyrtec work?
The breathing techniques are described in my June 18 ,2010 post on this forum thread. Do the kapalbhati pranayam for first two days, and then do all the pranayam regualarly.
Thanks for your explanation about CO2 and O2.  I am 54 and have only just starting getting daily "attacks" about a month ago.  I take no meds.  My diet is great.  Very much doubt I am allergic to milk.  I start off each day fine.  In the afternoon at work I start getting it.  The need to yawn (some yawns are successful and some are unsuccessful) and the inability to breathe out fully without discomfort.  I can't wait to take the next breath.  I have to take it quickly.  I read on the web about the diaphram breathing so I tried that.  I try to calm down and take large, even breaths into my belly rather than my chest.  It works but not for long.  Pretty soon I am back to where I started.  If I try to sleep in this state it's the worst.  Because it is completely impossible to relax when your breathing is not normal.  Interestingly - alcohol takes care of the problem for me for a short time.  But I am kind of strict with myself about my overall alcohol intake, so I can't use that to help me more than once a day. I don't have any other symptoms, just the breathing.  No dizziness, no sweaty palms, no increased heartbeat.  I do not even feel that anxious!  I know what anxiety is and I just don't feel it.  One afternoon when it was out of control I took my blood pressure with a home kit and the pressure was unusually low.  I had thought it would be high because I felt so terrible.  When I was much younger, I did have a few panic attacks.  That was about 30 years ago!  With this hyperventilation, I don't really feel like I am going into panic attack.  That's a slightly different (worse) feeling.  But this is pretty bad.  I can't wait to find a way out of this.
I have discovered that I only start to struggle and have the need to yawn and take deep breaths (which I cannot do)  when I am stressed and lacking in numerous days of sleep.  I am by nature a calm person so this is not an anxiety attack of any kind.    Eventually when I am able to sleep even if assisted for one day (by a sleeping tablet which I do not like to take)  the need to yawn and take a deep breath goes.  It is a very real symptom and can cause one to panic.  I now psychologically talk myself through it and also try and sleep as much as possible to catch up with my body's need for oxygen.  The body can only cope with so much.......
hey there, i am on my 8th day of tis, the only way i get relief is to get to sleep somehow.... i havent slept in 5 days now, as well as the yawning, i have heaps of saliva, so i have to swallow and try to yawn, i am getting totaly freaked out, i am 40, I beg my hubby to just knock me out!!! I have a severe thyroid problem, possibly a thyroid crisis, i know how u feel, none of these breathing excersises help. I wake with blue lips and hands. do u have any thyroid problems??? kym
I am so sorry, but your information sounds soooo convincing. I've even tried only one of the techniques a few minutes ago, and just halfway I started to feel like I was getting good results. I really hope this can fix everything for me in the long run. Are you at least in school for becoming a doctor?      :-T
I also tried captain cal breathing suggestions and within ten minutes began to feel a difference.  Thank you to captain cal for the understandable explanation, d easy suggestions.  It seems crazy to be such an easy fix, and I am glad there is something I can do that doesn't involve drugs.
Hello all.........
I know I know this is one of the most annoying ...disorder.?...I really am not sure if you can even call this a disorder!!
However,
I am  99% sure...that this is a physiological thing than anything else.
Most of ya aware of Xanax and propranolol...they help but theyr kinda bad if u use a lot..
TRY FOLIC ACID + METHYLCOBALMIN TABLETS I found bit..nvm REALLY  helpful with least side effects.
They are kinda vitamin pills..but they also calm our nerves..which prevent ya from constant yawning..take them after ya eat..works best !!
However, the most important thing is to stay positive..!!!

LET ME KNOW IF YOU KNOW SOMETHING OR HAVE ANY QUESTIONS!!
I am going through the same thing- I have been to a pulmonary dr and he had me go for a sleep apnea test.  Found out that is what it is so far.  I also have very large tonsils that might have to be removed.  As well, I have nodules on my thyroid. There is a blockage from the throat to get the air through normally is what we are experiencing and yes its frustrating and scary as hell!!. I get to go for another sleep apnea test to see which sleep device is best for me n then to the ENT for the tonsil situation.Its been a process but, I want to breath normal again!! Good luck!!
Hi, I've had this problem for 7 months. My problems include not being able to yawn, a lump in my throat, and not being able to take a deep breath.
#1 I don't know how some of you have lived with this for so long, it's very very frustrating.
#2 Thank you everyone for posting things on here. It helps knowing that I'm not alone.
#3 After reading many of these suggestions, I kept on seeing certain disorders popping up. I have had a few of these: anemia, possible acid reflux, hypothyroidism and a pinched nerve. So after reading the anemia and acid reflux, I started taking the iron supplement I was taking prior to December. I stopped taking it bc I was taking another supplement that had iron in it and I didn't want to take too much. I also started taking Zantac, max strength 150mg. I don't know what to do about hypothyroidism and I was considering going to my chiropractor, but haven't bc the iron and Zantac HAVE WORKED!!!! This is a complete return to normal, it's absolutely amazing. I actually had some trouble getting a deep breath today, but I think it has to do with the altitude changes since we are vacationing in the smokies. All I did was take another iron tablet and I've had no problems all evening. If you are anemic, you don't have enough oxygen carrying blood cells in your body, therefore not getting enough oxygen. At least the last part of the sentence I believe is true.
#4 My doctor and nurse practitioner all have told me my lungs sound great, they can't hear anything wrong and I run 5 miles a day so it can't be anything severe. Well, they obviously don't have this issue so this is why I had to turnto the Internet.
Thank you all for your posts. They've helped me out so much. Good luck!
Jenny from Israel and I do not know good English, so I did a translation of Google - get the spelling mistakes in understanding

34 suffered from terrible suffering from age 7
I made all the possible types of tests and everything is normal

What I have to add all what I read this forum like this
1: There is no doubt that some of those who suffer from this problem is due to his anxiety - problems in the neck - Heart - Thyroid

2 no doubt that those who suffer from it do not understand what it is, so all offers of breathing through the nose and throat and eyes That Chinese and Thai breath that crap better not to offer them this problem that has nothing to do

3 there's a reason organic and have not found it (up to ten years ago thought that ulcers came from stress ..)

4 We are sick is wrong that no one opened a web site with a list of thousands! People who suffer from it and sent it to all doctors in their country and to all medical researchers, articles, TV, etc.
Must! Raise public awareness that
You know that if we do not address it and be proactive researchers and doctors to check it out at least some of our children will this hell
(I'll deal with it in Israel)

My theory:

The brain called the pituitary gland have - pituitary gland secretes hormones and 12 in close contact with the adrenal gland also secretes several substances

I think one of the substances secreted secreted too much (some materials are complicated for testing)
 Then it causes problems in dopamine - Serotonin - Nitric oxide causes great yawn, then the body lowers the level of dopamine - Serotonin - Nitric Oxide by Wild sympathetic system does not yawn and then it repeats again and so the initial condition
Short cycle is difficult to leave without finding the problem first thing

Again the problem is not the dopamine / serotonin but too Hormones

I did not examine the issue of intestinal worms and it sounds interesting
The cervical spine problems makes sense

Explanation for the symptoms of all
In the early years is a small problem (?) Only of breath because of the material secreted and then it starts to be a problem with the disruption of dopamine, etc.
That Mohammed food / stress / anxiety because it raises / lowers the level of dopamine / serotonin in the blood
It gets off to sleep - that sleep has a high prolactin dopamine contradicts the?
We concentrate on something interesting (TV / Internet, etc.) it gets better - increases the concentration of dopamine and serotonin in the brain!
(Just a question for men - Have you noticed that anyone with that problem has increased sexual activity?

I have no doubt he will find a solution with a small ball that blocks the unnecessary provision

Prayer to God who will have the problem and solution

It sounds a little like how I feel when my blood sugar is low.  I am a diabetic.  I also yawn a lot.  I have anxiety issues as well.
yeh im getting the same feelings im thinking its depression so im going to the doctors tomorrow to check it out.I have only started having this problem for about 2 weeks now and i see what ur saying i start to have panic attacks and i feel aswell like im going to have a heart attack,also at times i feel as if when i breathe its like i havent taken a breath and that just makes the panic attack worse.It makes me feel bad cause i can just randomly get a panic attack from not being able to breathe just by sitting with friends as soon as nothing is happening (i dont like to tell them i just go home when it happens, but that makes me feel bad because its like its controlling me) im even staying up all night having a panic attack like a couple of nights ago i had a panic attck all night didnt sleep and had work that morning worst day ever.But hopefully this can be treated it will feel nice to feel normal again
I can totally see this!!  I have the same thing, since october I've had the breathless feeling, and the one thing that makes it easier to get the breath or yawn I need is to ignore it as long as I can - basically breathing less - and it makes it easier to get the breath after.  I've always felt like it was something to do with oxygen in my blood - not enough or something.  I also work in a humid environment so that makes you feel the need to breathe more too.  I'm going to try what you suggest with holding my breath and see how it works.  Thanks!
Forget about medication. Traditional medicine is unnatural, treats only the symptoms and not the core issue and it always always has side effects. If you must, try alternative or holistic medicine. But know that ultimately, most diseases begin and are caused by stress and anxiety. Find something that relaxes your mind, once a day, every day. Take time for yourself. Some people do yoga, some meditate, others exercise. It doesn't really matter. Find a way to "reset" your system every day and think good, wholesome, positive thoughts. or think nothing at all. We live in an unnatural environment. The best way to heal is to go back to nature once in a while. So ideally, take a walk outside, relax and just observe nature. Let the healing power of nature take over, and carry you to good health. All the best. N.P.
Its really weird i feel like i cant get enough air. Im yawning to get that breath i need. Also i noticed that if i drop my head bellow my heart can breath better. I have been doing yoga for five years almost everyday and i can't understand why im feeling like this. Some say its past events that trigger panic we are talking years ago is that possible.
Please go to a pulmonary doctor and or regular physician and get tested for oxygen level.  

I am having the same problem, and turned down the air conditioning, which helps.  Sitting up or standing up also seems to help a little.  I took an antidepressent and it also seems to have helped.  

I had a severe radiation pneumonia a few years ago and it probably is from that but you are too young to have such a problem.  please get it checked out.  
Hi there , after reading everyones comments, thoughts , suggestions  it has brought abit of ease to me as i to suffer with this strange problem ,
I first started getting it when omg didnt realize i had it this long but when i was 19 i am now 27  , it wasnt really bad at the start would happen very rarely over about 4 years but the past 3 it has gotten to be more frequent than anyfin that frequent that it feels the norm to me to have it??? I got very worried over it and went to the doctors and told her ( i didnt want to because i felt ashamed and stupid by saying it coz of it seeming like it being in my head )  but she just asked can i get myself out of it and when i said well yes sort of when im busy and dont think about it she said it will pass!  made me feel crappy because i knew something wasnt right surley this aint the norm? , i told a few friends but they dont understand just shrug it off as they think its just a yawning thing but it does make you feel like giving in like your guna die like something is very wrong with you its very worrying and scary i have it alot of the time where i have to sort of tell myself to calm down because i cant catch my breath for ages and then you finally get that deep breath it means everyfin and for the few minutes everyfins back to normal and then i start worrying about not getting my next one its a horrible circle never ending i have it before i got to bed i wake up fine and the first ( normal ) yawn will set it off as i will notice i caught the yawn properly , im not really in no situation to get nervous about things half the time as im a full time mum and these attacks will come whenever they feel like it from when im relaxing in the bath ,playing with the kids ,  walking , cleaning it is ANYTIME. I feel like whats the point sometimes to always have to deal with this :( people that dont have it will never understaand how down and scared it gets you , but i try and tell myself it cant be that bad if ive dealt with it for all these years alone to not worry and let it scare me but it always does ,  i am guna try the ideas on here as they seem very helpful and  the only help we can get for this condition  , i know now i am not suffering alone with it which has made me relax more , so thank you for that hope everyone finds their way of dealing with this and hopefully in the future this gets to be a  more known and solved problem x
this sounds like deconditioning
Have you had a doctor check your ears well? Or gone to an ear/nose/throat doctor? I was at the emergency room this morning with that being one of my symptoms; assuming it was maybe strep effects not passing after weeks later, but it turned into acute bronchitis and an ear infection. Ear/nose/throat and upper respiratory  issues can become very severe with little attention and action. I hope this helps somebody somewhere, I read this post when i couldn't figure out what my problem was.
I also feel the need to yawn all the time and use to enjoy the little extra bit of air your body breaths in at the last second making your yawn complete. If you have the feeling of lack of oxygen I highly recommend wheat grass shots every day for a month strait. DONT MISS A DAY!    Its expense to go out and get them but if you grow your own and get the hang of it I truly believe it will help. ~Keegan Ratajczak
Hey I have had all these exact symptoms for the past week. Yawning consistently to try to get a full breath but not being successful, deep breathing in between until I get a full breath every 5 minutesish. It has already led to a panic attack and I know it didn't start from stress but it did lead to the anxiety and panic of death, fear of losing control and so on. I've seen doctors as well who told me that my heart and lungs are fine and 100% which is extremely frustrating as well. After reading a good bit on panic attacks and this breathing thing, I really think mine might have been brought on by low iron. I'm starting today taking slow iron pills and will post again if I see any improvements on this horrible breathing dilemma. It would make sense though considering that when you have low iron you have a red blood count dificiency which red blood cells are what carry oxygen to the brain and nervous system. Again ill keep y'all posted if I see a difference because I understand that if I'm this frustrated after a week I can't imagine the frustration for longer. Thank you all for the messages it's been very helpful to read through.
I haven't read through all of these comments yet; but I was happy to stumble across this website.  I have suffered through labored breathing issues on and off (but mostly on) for 20 years.  I first noticed the issue while I was exercising (lifting weights).  I went to the doc and was told it was asthma; but an inhaler made no difference. I learned to live with it and about 3 years ago I realized my problem became much worse (or more noticeable) at night after I had done a hard chest workout.  I would have to sit up in bed to try to take that deep breath that never came.

I also noticed the problem would worsen if I had some type of other upper body issue, such as a stiff neck.  Maybe the deep chest breathing causes the pain to worsen and interupts the deep breath? So I am optimistic that breathing exercises will help!
I'm experiencing something very similar to what you described. I've got a mild cold (only sneezing and a slight runny nose) and have only been able to sleep 5 1/2 hours in the last 72. I'm a 54 year old woman with Multiple Sclerosis and some other health issues but have never NOT been able to sleep. I had an unrelated doctor appointment today and my blood pressure was a bit higher than is normal for me but I attributed that to the fact that they took it within 2 minutes of me walking from the parking lot into the building. Tonight, I took 2 prescription sleeping pills that have always worked before but still can't sleep. I tried lying down in my bed for well over 2 hours and doing relaxation techniques I've learned over the years but have not yawned or slept. I'm at my wits end and want and need a good nights sleep! Anyone have suggestions.....PLEASE???
I went through the same thing. I've had this for 15 months so far constantly. Not just sometimes but all the time. I've tried Xanax and it helps but I think I need a larger dose. This is so frustrating and wish doctors could help
Hi, I have been going through the same issues for the past 6 months.. Numerous  is it's to hospitals and all different types of medicine. Careful with the nexium while pregnant..  How are u feeling now that I am assuming u had the baby and are done the nexium?
I have exactly the same- just wondering is it linked to wheat or dairy?
3 years after your comment, I'm reading about other people's problems with yawning/sighing and trouble getting them out (or in as the case may be).  Just wondered how you made out, if you came to any firmer conclusion with additional medical advice in the last 3 years?  I'm 51, and have had this problem off and on for a couple of years, and felt we're kind of similar in terms of our age and symptoms.
Thanks,
Elisabet
***@****
Are you OK?  I just read about the yawning problem because I've developed this myself.  I was just concerned about you, from what you said.  You were asking about hypnotherapists, did you find one? You might want to check out http://www.fhu.com
If you want to, feel free please to write me at ***@****.  
Take care,
Elisabet
I'm from Brazil so please excuse my bad english. I have the same problem. Since it started I yawn incompletely many times in a row - always incompletely.
At the begining I didn't worry about it. But now my eyes started to water and I feel that there's something wrong with the pressure in my ears. For the first time I'm really preoccupied. Do you feel the same?
"Hi, I've had this problem for 7 months. My problems include not being able to yawn, a lump in my throat, and not being able to take a deep breath.
#1 I don't know how some of you have lived with this for so long, it's very very frustrating."

I've had the exact same problems off and on for 2 years. And everyone should be relieved to know that these issues are almost always mental and brought on by anxiety. Unfortunately as sophisticated as our brains are they're also very primitive in some respects. Physically it's unlikely anything is wrong with you - but we'll get to that in a sec. Anxiety throws your natural breathing out of whack. Particularly when you're not focused on something so you notice this. And when it happens once - it's because of CO2 - you brain gets into a kind of negative feedback loop. The nore you focus on it, the worse it gets. It can lead to hyperventilation, panic attacks, etc. Now do you notice after a while when you calm down a bit you can then catch a deep breath? There is nothing wrong with your lungs. Just remember that. It's easy to go off on wild tangents thinking it's all kinds of physical problems - it's not, or rather exceedingly unlikely.

As others have mentioned the old breathing in an out of a paper bad - never plastic - can help regulate you're CO2 and calm you down. Belly breathing can help. Focusing on anything else - TV, games, music, reading, etc. Even just going for quiet stroll around the block can help a ton. Drinking stuff like Green or Chamomile tea also helps a ton too.

A massive help is L-Theanine - specifically Suntheanine, which is patented. Some L-Theanines are inert - which is no good. What is it you ask? It's the stuff found in green tea and it really does work - check out the Suntheanine website for more detailed info. In a nutshell it calms you right down but allows you to remain alert - so it's a great way to start off your day. I get mine from Swanson Vitamins online - because they carry Suntheanine very cheaply compared to most health food or vitamin stores. You want the 100mg tabs. 1 to 2 per day. They also carry a "Revitalizing Sleep Formula" you may want to check out - all natural, really good stuff.

Yes, GERD/Acid reflux can contribute to this. All that acid moving up into your esophagus causes that lump in the throat feeling. Antacid helps a lot. But mainly you really need to modify your diet and move from an acidic based to akaline based diet - in short cut out the junk and eat healthy :)
There's tons of info and charts out there on alkaline based diets and foods. You will notice the difference in as little as a week when you make the switch. Every day I drink a green smoothie that's almost completely alkaline based.

Also quit smoking if you haven't - that should be a no brainer. And lay off the booze. It's not so much the physical as the mental. It's a depressant and the last thing you need when you're anxious and/or depressed. When you're feeling better and healthier it's ok in moderation, wine with dinner, social drinks with friends but you should be cutting way back on it.

And speaking of depression, unless that's what you've been diagnosed with then it's anxiety - 2 different things. If your"depressed" because you need a - new/better - job, have money/spouse issues then odds are it's just anxiety and it'll clear up as things get better. However anxiety still causes loss of serotonin and all those other wonderful brain juices that keep us functioning autonomicaly. Try to keep busy too. When you're focused on other stuff all this stuff goes on autopilot so its less of a problem. And when you're honestly tired you'll sleep better anyway.

Excercise. Do it regularly. The reasons are too many to list here but suffice it to say it will not only help with this but every other aspect of your life. I myself row - there's no better combined strength and cardio exercise and I find the rhythm very relaxing.

"#2 Thank you everyone for posting things on here. It helps knowing that I'm not alone. "

You're not alone with this by a long shot so keep the faith, it will get better I promise you. Remember folks, some of it may be genetic, but a lot of it you have the power to control. It wasn't always there, and it's not always there. It's a sometime thing. It's beyond aggravating, depressing and sometimes scary but you can beat it or at least manage it...never forget that.  You will, however, have to put some effort in to make that happen.
I just wanted to add, that this started when I was went through a period of extreme stress in my life - lost my job, was broke, etc. and that's when it started. Doc put me on anti-anxiety meds and Priolsec for 2 weeks. I went on an alkaline diet, went for a quiet walk twice a day, did breathing excercises and it cleared up pretty fast. Got a new job, kept up the good habits, no problems. A few months ago, fell out of good habits back into bad ones, some personal problems and stress building and bam, back to these problems again. And as I get back into good habits it goes away.

I also forgot to mention that I'm a bit iron deficient naturally and that can add to this - so you should get your blood iron levels tested, be aware of signs of anemia, get your serotonin and other levels all checked out too - complete workup, ECG, MRI, et al to rule out anything - MRIs can detect low serotonin and other problems. And go see an ENT to get checked for chronic sinusitis - a contributing factor to this problem, As well as a upper GI endoscopy.

So remember, as mentioned in my above post, good habits are really the key to beating this. Keep your chin up, you'll make out ok. :)
http://www.familydoctor.co.nz/index.asp?U=conditions&A=32893

The good news is HVS/Breathing Pattern Disorders are just that -- a disorder not a disease. The bad news is that it takes time, patience, and practice, practice, practice. There is no instant cure.

As you learn to normalize your breathing and so restore balanced carbon dioxide and oxygen levels, the unpleasant symptoms associated with over-breathing will subside. You can enjoy life again!

Getting help

Your doctor will be able to help.

B r e a t h i n g Works - Breathing Pattern Disorders Clinic and Resource Centre. Auckland. Tel 09 5221122.

Useful books;
          Hyperventilation Syndrome/Breathing Pattern Disorders.
·         Dinah Bradley (Random House 2007.)3rd edition.) (Kyle Cathie UK 2006)

·         Breathing Works for  Asthma. Dinah Bradley & Tania Clifton-Smith (Random House 2003)

·         Breathe Stretch & Move. Dinah Bradley & Tania Clifton-Smith (Random House 2005)

·         Multidisciplinary Approaches to Breathing Pattern Disorders.  Leon Chaitow, Dinah Bradley. Christopher Gilbert (Churchill Livingstone 2002
Viewing 201-347 comments: