Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Strong smoke smell

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Strong smoke smell

For the past few months I have been having problems with my breathing.  I get very strong smells of cigarette smoke sometimes to the point it chokes me.  During sleeping I sometimes have to place a sheet directly infront of my nose to stop or lessen the smell.  No one in my household smokes and I work in a smoke free building. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

It is not clear why you are experiencing such a problem, particularly when you are not being exposed.  It might be worthwhile to go to a place that has no smoking at all for a weekend and see if the same symptoms occur.  If they do not occur, this would lead to recent exposures being the reason for having these sensations.  If they continue to occur without exposure, it is very hard to understand the cause.
I used to always clear my throat and cough...since having an air purifier in my home that covers the whole house; I've totally stopped that and found it to help all my children even in the midst of this WI winter - we've had no colds or flu or other respiratory ills.  Here's some obvious signs in your own home that can indicate a need simply for air purification.
COMMON TRAITS OF INDOOR AIR POLLUTION
Affected Household Members initials: ____ ____ ____ ____ ____
Dust on furniture / Visible in air
House odors
Allergies
Asthma
Sinus problems
Headaches
Sleeplessness / Light sleeper
Snoring
Sore throats / Colds / Flu
Itchy/ Watery eyes
Coughing / Throat clearing
Lack of Concentration
Depression / Irritability
Fatigue / Naps
Mold / Mildew in basement & bathrooms
Pet dander and odors
Smoking
Wood / Coal heater
Static Electricity
As you fill this in and realize how much is affected by your indoor air; maybe you'd want to try an ionizing/ozone air purifier like I have.  It's removed all respiratory ills in our family with 8 children 19 down to two. Plus I believe the natural ionization like is used outdoors to clean the air heals our whole respiratory systems as we breathe in that purified air night after night.
I to have had this problem for a while now. I wish i could figure out what it is. It seems to be sinus related. When i use Nasonex and use my inhaler (I have Asthma) it goes away for a while. I have had a serious sinus infection for two weeks now (i just got on antibiotics 3 days ago) and during the day i smell this smoke smell. The physician did not know why i was selling this other than i had a bad sinus infection. Please help if you can.
A related discussion, Smoke Smell was started.