Respiratory Disorders Community
Sudden appearance of quarter size lung nodule

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

6 months ago my dad was diagnosed with squamous cell lung cancer.  It was a very small nodule that was found on a CT scan.  He had surgery (wedge resection) in which the removed a good portion of his left upper lobe of the lung.  They staged it at 1A, and said he was very lucky that they caught it that early.  A few weeks ago he went in for a routine CT scan and they just called and told him that he has a nodule the size of a quarter in his right lung.  He is a nervous wreck.  This nodule obviously was not there before when they did the surgery in September.  
He did have an episode of pneumonia back in December that was cleared up with antibiotics.
What are the odds that this large nodule is more cancer?
No matter what the odds are, he has to have it tested, biopsy.  

The size of a "quarter" that's over 20 mm I estimate, much larger than any  I have read about (I am no expert, my interest in the subject is because my wife had a CT and lung nodules were discovered = see thread near the top of this community's first page).

0.