Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Sudden need for gasp of air
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Sudden need for gasp of air

About a week ago, I started getting these random needs to gasp for air. It'd probably happen once, twice a day and it could happen anytime - while I'm walking, lying in bed, resting, etc. The sensation is that of needing to gasp for air after holding your breath for a long time but a short sudden gasp instead of a long one. I didn't pay much attention to it, thinking perhaps it has to do with air in my lungs that day.

Now it's been over a week and happens at least once to maybe 5, 6 times a day. Does anyone hear of anything like this or experience something similar to it? I figure I'll ask and see if everything's ok.
Related Discussions
242588_tn?1224275300
What you describe is not a symptom of serious lung disease.  Like hyperventilation and excessive yawning, this phenomenon is a functional disorder of respiratory drive, of the type most often associated with anxiety.  Given time, this problem should spontaneously resolve.
2 Comments
Blank
Hello,
I'm no doctor, but I would ask a doctor about this as it happened to me early last year and it turned out to be a number of things.
Of course, every person is different but I would ask for a CT scan and Xray of the lungs, as well as a pulmonary function test (PFT).
Best to you.
-Iwillsurvive
Blank
A related discussion, Why do I gasp for air was started.
Blank
A related discussion, sudden gasp of breath was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
242587_tn?1355427710
David Tinkelman, M.D.Blank
National Jewish Health
Denver, CO
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Asthma Tracker