Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Sudden need for gasp of air

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Sudden need for gasp of air
About a week ago, I started getting these random needs to gasp for air. It'd probably happen once, twice a day and it could happen anytime - while I'm walking, lying in bed, resting, etc. The sensation is that of needing to gasp for air after holding your breath for a long time but a short sudden gasp instead of a long one. I didn't pay much attention to it, thinking perhaps it has to do with air in my lungs that day.

Now it's been over a week and happens at least once to maybe 5, 6 times a day. Does anyone hear of anything like this or experience something similar to it? I figure I'll ask and see if everything's ok.
What you describe is not a symptom of serious lung disease.  Like hyperventilation and excessive yawning, this phenomenon is a functional disorder of respiratory drive, of the type most often associated with anxiety.  Given time, this problem should spontaneously resolve.
I'm no doctor, but I would ask a doctor about this as it happened to me early last year and it turned out to be a number of things.
Of course, every person is different but I would ask for a CT scan and Xray of the lungs, as well as a pulmonary function test (PFT).
Best to you.
-Iwillsurvive
A related discussion, Why do I gasp for air was started.
A related discussion, sudden gasp of breath was started.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker