Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Swollen tongue and throat

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Swollen tongue and throat

Hi! This is my first time using this forum.  Hope I do this right. I am the type of person that just does not go to the doctors (I have the "It's probably nothing anyway" attitude)but I am concerned about something that seems to be getting progressively worse.  For the past year I have been going through one sinus infection after another. But before the onset of the infection it would start out with a sore throat that extendend into my chest (like I had a sore throat but in my chest) then I'd get the sinus infection headache, gooey green stuff and than the constant coughing, the infection would go away but the coughing would persist especially at night then that would eventually go away too.  But as I'd get the infections each time the coughing seems to get worse and when I'm done with that boaght the spot in my chest always seems to feel like I have a sore throat but in my chest feeling.  This last time I went to the doctor because I was feeling miserable with my headache and coughing so I got an antibiotic to clear it up. It did but as usual the cough persisted a little longer but this time I started coughing up clear phlem that seem to not come from my throat but deeper. So, here is why I am writing this.  I still have that sore throat but in my chest feeling and now my tongue feels swollen and my throat as well (So much so that I'm starting to snore at night-which my husband finds amusing), my whole torso just feels achey (achy), when I wake up most mornings both sides just below my ribs in the back are ackey. Allergies?? Nothing?? Please point me in the right direction.
It is possible that all of the symptoms you are describing are related to a chronic sinus inflammation and/or infection.  This can cause post nasal drainage, coughing, irritation in the chest and throat etc.  The only way to make this diagnosis is with a CT scan of the sinuses.  If this is the reason, appropriate treatment can be started.   If it is not the answer, then I would suggest looking at an allergic cause.  Each of these can cause recurrent and chronic problems.
1 Comment
A related discussion, swollen tonge and gums...now sore throat was started.