Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Swollen tonsils on one side, very worried.

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I have a swollen tonsil on the right side for more then a week now. First of all let me, I'm not on any medication. I'm a non-smoker and I'm not a alchoholic. I'm 150++ pound.

The swollen tonsil doesn't feel any pain. I don't feel any sickness other then worried sick. I did went to see a doctor and a nurse took a strep throat test, it was negative. Doctor doesn't really explain what is it and only said if I'm worried about it, I should go to see ENT specialist.I've made appointment and it's a more then a month wait for the appointment. I can't wait that long. I'm really worried.

The main problem now is, I do sometimes feel something is stuck on my throat especially at night. But not all the time. It's making me sleepless at night. I always feels like burping. Is it the swollen tonsil that makes me feel this way? I'm clueless. My tonsil does show some white stuffs in it. I'm not sure exactly what is it, but I do remember the doctor said something about there might be cyst in it? Sometimes my right ear does feel uncomfortable or itchy. Does it have to do with the tonsil? I'm really worried and I couldn't concentrate on anything that I'm doing. Is this serious? Can this be cure? I'm really clueless. Please advice. Thank you very much.
The best choice for you is to see the ENT.  This specialist will check your throat and tonsils.  It seems that your appointment in a month is too long for you to be worried sick.  To find what could be causing you to feel something is stuck in your throat especially at night, you
The tonsil may have tonsil stones [tonsiloliths] in them. In some cases they can be removed mechanically, like with a water pic. Here's a link: http://www.drgreene.com/21_568.html
Treating Tonsil Stones    Excerpts:

"Q. My daughter has very large tonsils with deep crevices. She has large numbers of small, hard lumps that she scrapes out

A. For some people, however, the calculi can be quite bothersome, causing a constant foreign-body sensation, a chronic low-grade sore throat, recurrent episodes of tonsillitis persisting beyond childhood, or chronic bad breath.

Treatment consists of either removing the tonsils or removing the calculi. Troublesome large calculi that are not easily dislodged may need an ear, nose, and throat doctor to remove them."

I don't think they are hard. More or like cheese curds. I could make them go away when I gargle with water / salt water. At night I feel something stuck on my throat. Need to burp to feel better. I think there's gas too in my stomach. I don't feel that during the day. Mostly nights. My swollen tonsil has been swollen for about 10 days now. Please help!! I feel helpless.
Tonsil stones occur if the tonsil debris remains in place; calcifies and hardens. This is most likely what you have. This often occurs in people with PND [post nasal drip], which in turn can lead to air swallowing and stomach gas. There is more info and a free book you can download [Dr Katz, Bad Breath Bible] at this site:
http://www.tonsilstones.com/tonsilloliths.html

If you have PND, it needs to be treated; typically with steroid nasal sprays, saline washes. Also drink water to thin the mucus.
See;
http://asthma.nationaljewish.org/about/relationships/rhinitis.php
Will those cause the tonsil to be swollen?? Its about 2 weeks now still swollen. Like you said. Yes, it's like swollowing air and gas from stomach. I'm leaning to this PND more now.
18 days still got a swollen tonsil. Been using flonase spray prescribe by doctor. Don't feel that worst compare to last 2 weeks. No sore throat or any other sickness other then feeling something suck in the throat(sometimes). Stomach gas seems to be gone.

Are there any urgency about the swollen tonsil that I should do something about? I have appointment to see ENT doctor on July 30th. Please advice. Thanks
A related discussion, tonsiles was started.
A related discussion, my thorat was started.