Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Symptoms of quitting smoking

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Symptoms of quitting smoking

I just quit smoking (1 or 2 pks per week).  I now have a sore throat, sinus drainage and nose bleeds, earache, TERRIBLE uncontrollable cough, pain in my chest and back like pneumonia, and chest pain radiating thru shoulder and down left arm (on change to heart rate, so I don
It is common to get some of these symptoms after quitting smoking.  Your lungs are expelling the residue that has built up over time.  The nose bleeds may be related to blood pressure, inflammation in the nose, an upper respiratory infection or to spasms of coughing.  The aching and low grade fever are probably not related and may be related to an infection which is aggravating all of the other things you have described.

Quitting smoking was a wonderful and positive decision.  Be proud that you have done this and you WILL get over these symptoms.  Congratulations on this decision and action.
I quit smoking 2 weeks ago after smoking for over 10 years.  Since then I have had increasing chest pain, shortness of breath, and a nasty taste at the back of my throat which causes me to retch sometimes.  I try to cough up some mucas but I'm never able to.  I also suffer from panic attacks and anxiety which doesn't help.  Yesterday, I really struggled to get a breath and had chest pains and went to hospital.  The ECG showed abnormal and they thought I had a clot on my lung.  After further tests it showed my heart and lungs to be ok, but I'm still feeling terrible. The doctor said this was because I've quit smoking,  I keep getting aches and pains and feeling sick, I hope this will pass soon.
That's what I am talking about.  I smoked for years b/c I like to smoke and not b/c I had to smoke.  I don't think I was ever addicted as I have had no cravings or trigger points to speak of, since I stopped.  However, I feel like I'm getting the flu or something.  That's why I put the 'symptoms of quitting smoking' in the subject, b/c I feel a heck of a lot worse now than before I quit.  Thanks for your comment.
Besides extending your life expectancy, and those who live with you, you're probably much more pleasant to be around. I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, but smoking stinks. I can't stand the smell that lingers on people's clothing, hair, breath, home, car etc. And, if you care about appearance at all, I can almost always spot a smoker since smoking turns the skin gray, and teeth yellow. Smoking is a dangerous, and a seriously disgusting habit, not to mention expensive.

Don't go back!!!!!!! You
Hi All

I just recently quit smoking.  Im using the patch.  I was wondering if anyone else who has quit, has gotten a bloated stomach.  Mine is so big, I look like im 7 months pregnant.  I can actually feel it stretch.  Its ok in the morning, but soon after im up, it seems to get bloated.  And i also has alot of gas.  I have tryed gas x ,lots of water, ect..  Does anyone know what this happens and will it go away.  My stomach is awful, its even uncomfortable to sit sometimes.  Any suggestions?
I don't know what the heck is going on with me.  I quit smoking 3 days ago, and I feel sicker than I ever have in my life.  Well, that may be an exaggeration but I feel really bad, I threw up all day yesterday and I had diarrhea which has still carried on to today.  I have a terrible headache which won't go away and my stomach just won't feel any better.  I quit in the worst possible time, it's really stressful right now and this is really hard on me right now, I would love a cig. but don't want to give in now, especially if I'll have to go through this again.  Does anyone know what is going on with me?.  I would love some advise, is this from my quitting? or is this just a stomach bug?... please someone let me know. thank you.
Yes they are all symptoms of quitting.  But dont worry , it gets better.  I didnt have nay of those, but everyone is different.  Mine is the bloated stomach, very iraitable , and very gasy.  I guess its all the toxins coming out of our system. What have you used to quit, or are u going it cold turkey?
Hello, I quit for the first time using the pill Chantix.  Actually, I did try the patch before ,  but I was trying it for  loved one and not for myself.  Needless to say it didn't wrk. I would recommend the Chantix highly.  I truly cannot believe I haven't smoke in 3 days.  It's a miracle for me.  I have quite an addictive personality.  Anyway, I feel like ****.  I have a sore throat, my body aches, and yes I feel so bloated- - I wish I could fly away.  Im actually lift off in my dreams.  We need to remember, our bodies our used to toxins and for me it has been at least 16 years of poisons going in. Its good to know this site exists and maybe I'm not going crazy,  Or am I ?
A related discussion, I just quit was started.
A related discussion, high fever,lung pain, cough,stop smoking was started.
A related discussion, I quit 9 months ago..... was started.