Respiratory Disorders Community
TB Test Reading

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

TB Test Reading

I did a TB test, the area raised about 6mm -7mm. Only the raised area is red. When I went to get it read, the lab assistant just looked at it, and said I would get the results back next week. I also took an chest x-ray. This was one of the things i had to do for a medical to join the army. I'm puzzled that he did not measure the area, and I read, and was also told anything under 10mm is negative, yet I'm still worried. I've never been around any one with TB to the best of my knowledge.
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

For a PPD test to be positive, the raised area (duration) is measured and it should be more than 10 mm. In immunocompromised individuals (HIV, transplant), a reading of 5 mm or more is considered significant. Also, if positive, this is correlated with clinical symptoms , like cough, evening rise of temperature, weight loss and blood tests, which will show a raised ESR and increased lymphocyte count, if it is an active infection.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Well I am not hiv and don't have any of the symptoms you describe. The area have remained the same.  It have been three days the area is still red though.  It have not risen any more, the swelling seems to be going down, no signs of a blister. The area around the swelling remained the same colour as my skin and did not turned red. I would have liked to beloved it'd bruising from the injection. Does this sound like being negative?
Got back my results. Everything negative thank goodness
Avatar dr f tn
Ok. Good luck.