Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
THROAT DISCOMFORT

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

THROAT DISCOMFORT

HI,IN THE BEGINING OF THE SUMMER I STARTED TO HAVE ALLERGY LIKE SYMPTOMS SO I TOOK NON PRESCRIPTION ALLERGY MEDICATION. THEN ABOUT 31/2 WEEKS AGO I SUDDENLY STARTED HAVING TROUBLE WOTH MY BREATHING SO I WENT TO THE DOCTOR AND HE SAID THAT I HAN THROAT INFECTION AND HE GAVE ME ANTIBIOTICS IT DIDN'T HELP AND I STARTED  HAVING SORE THROAT AND RUNNY NOSE IT WENT AWAY BUT I STILL HAVE THROAT DISCOMFORT CAN YOU PLEASE ANSWER ME BACK.

THANK YOU
It is very difficult to tell what is going on from your description.  However, it will be rather easy for an allergist to tell after performing an examination and a pulmonary function test.  It is very possible that this is due to allergies and to a mild form of asthma.
Drainage from the nose and sinuses that drips down the back of the throat is known as postnasal drip.  This could be the cause of your throat discomfort.  This can often be controlled with nasal washes, decongestants, and/or an inhaled nasal steroid. A nasal wash helps remove phlegm from the nose and sinuses.  This can temporarily reduce the postnasal drip and lessen breathing difficulty.  A prescription nasal steroid spray decreases nasal swelling and phlegm production.  This may prevent the postnasal drip and breathing difficulty.  To get the most out of a nasal steroid spray use it after doing a nasal wash.  A nasal steroid spray does not provide immediate relief of symptoms.  It may require several weeks of routine use to become effective.  Please read our Nasal Wash MedFact at http://www.nationaljewish.org/medfacts/nasal.html for more information about this technique.  Share this information with your doctor to see if you would benefit from this daily treatment.
Have you ever been evaluated for allergies?  Allergies CAN cause throat irritation, particularly post-nasal drip.  Infections can also cause throat irritations, as can gastric reflux.  Please talk with your doctor so s/he can help you find the cause of your throat irritation and give you appropriate treatment.
Aloha,
Starion