Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Thank You and question regarding glass dust
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Thank You and question regarding glass dust

First, thanks so much for your reply to an earlier question. It prompted me to have my asthma & allergies re-evaluated. As a result my diagnoses changed, I am now on new medication (Singular), under treatment by a new doc and feeling so much better!  Second, I had an additional question:  I work with stained glass as a hobby and have recently begun to wear a half-face respirator during soldering so as not to make my asthma worse from fume inhalation. (I didn't do this during the first few years). My question is, should I also be wearing some sort of breathing protection when I grind the glass pieces? The glass grinder uses a shield directly over the grinding bit (about 10 x 12 inches), but I stand directly over it, with my face only about 12-18 inches from the shield. The glass is ground wet, and there is spray, and you can often see a fine, colored glass dust accumulating.  Is the wet glass dust in the air harmful if breathed?  Or is it unlikely to be breathed in? I know it is harmful to breath fiberglass particles, so I was wondering about this.  Thanks in advance for your feedback. I do appreciate having this forum available.