Thick mucous in larnyx
I have a continuous problem with thick mucous in my throat.  I must clear my throat a hundred times a day.  My larnyx gets so full of the thick mucous that I almost choke and it causes my eyes to water.  When this happens I hack up about a quarter cup of the stuff.  

I went to an ENT specialist who diagnosed sinusitis due to restricted airflow because of a deviated septum.  After two surgeries for this there is no improvment.  I've tried Musinex and steroid nose sprays.  Nothing seems to help.  

I've read that this could be Laryngopharyngeal reflux and could be treated with Medrol or Budesonide.  Could this be true?

This discussion is related to Excessive Thick Mucous in Throat-- HELP!!!.

I've also had disappointing results from the medical field.  A VA doctor who kept telling me that what I had was normal - without even examining me.  A civilian doctor who said one sinus was plugged and infected and referred me to an ENT surgeon who operaed on that and also repaired a deviated septum - twice!  All with no improvements.

Even though I do not have allergies, allergy medications do help somewhat.  Accupressure does help me somewhat too.  

Another thing I have noticed is that too much coffee seems to aggravate the problem.  I just returned from a trip overseas, where the coffee was terrible and I drank more water instead, which seemed to help too.  More hydration keeps the mucous thinner.  Coffee is a diaretic.

If you have burning in the chest you probably do have GERD. That doesn't mean that is what is causing your problem in the throat though, even if it can be a contributing cause.  I have acid reflux and Omeprazole keeps that under control.

In own my case I sometimes wonder if the problem might be genetic.  My father and two older brothers seemed to have the same probem, though not nearly as bad as I have.  Maybe  something my family all ate or drank could be a factor.  The women in my family never seemed to be affected though.  It really is a mystery.

Good luck with your ENT tests.  That barium swallow test is an ordeal.  I had one when I had a hernia/intestine attachment that blocked my entire gut.  I couldn't keep it down and barfed all over my hospital bed.  I warned the attendants that I was going to gag but they never got me a barf bag.  They just stood ther like dummies while I struggled to hold it down.  I'll bet the next time they did that test they had one handy, lol.

One more thing I've noticed.  If I sneeze it seems to break all that gunk loose and I can get rid of it all in a couple of minutes, both from the sinused and throat. .  A century ago, men used to use snuff to make themselves sneeze.  I wonder if it was for relief from this problem?  A ittle pepper would do the same thing.
Thanks for your insight edaho, I can't really gripe too much, about the VA, I know they are way overbooked, I go to the Michael DeBakey Veterans Hospital in Houston, and it's always packed. But I always have to keep in mind that if it weren't for them I would not have medical care, just can't afford the civilian docs. But it is frustrating when you get a kid fresh out of med school, wet behind the ears making a snap decision about your health without a thought to how you feel. To him you're right out of his textbook, and he hasn't learned to listen to his patients yet (some never learn).

Anyway,I'll be looking forward to the barium test it'll be an experience I'm sure.
I have to say if it is GERD, yeah...better than the other thoughts going on in my head. I was a smoker for 20 years, but I've been smoke free for 26 years, but that's no guarantee I'm home free. I actually quit when the doctor diagnosed me with the Lupus, I was in so much pain then I didn't care how it ended, but the doctor said I would feel better if I quit; so that was my incentive (hardest thing I ever did). It did help, but most days I still wake up feeling like I got hit by a bus. Now with this condition it just adds more to deal with everyday. I did ask my primary care doc at the VA if this could be the Lupus, and he did say it is a possibility, but to reach that diagnosis I have to go through the process of eliminating other possible causes.

You know I had heard that snuff was used medicinally back when so you may be right.

So do you feel you are getting any closer to finding out what is plaguing you?

Oh I meant to tell you I did have nasal surgery some 28 years ago. They reamed out the nasal turbinate's so I could breathe, but as soon as the scar tissue formed I lost the benefit of the surgery; it brought me back to square zero. Still have to breathe through my mouth most of the time.
Since you had that surgery (or similar) you probably experienced the stuffed sausages they stuff up your nose to put pressure while it heals. I will never forget when the doc removed them, and I literally felt like those things were going to suck my brains right out of my head. Terrible experience!
Sorry, I'm rambling again (drives my wife crazy), so I'll stop, and if I find out a great revelation from the test I will share this new found wisdom with you all. Hang in there all!

I'm thankful for the VA too, although it seems to attract the doctors who can't do well in private practice.  I have met a few good ones though. The nurses I've encountered there were all terrific.

No, I have no clear sense of what causes this problem.  I don't think I have any allergies, but allergy medication helps keep it barely under control.  When I run out of one of my meds it does get worse.  

Another complication is my voice.  When this gunk builds up in my throat it interferes with my vocal cords.  I lead the singing in church every Sunday and I have to make sure I get most of the phlem out before singing.  

Good luck with your barium test.

That's great that you can at least keep it at bay, especially to be able to sing in your church choir. I can't hold a tune much less with this problem. I choke even when I talk very long.
Well I couldn't stand it and today broke away from work and got an appointment with a civilian  ENT. I felt so bad this weekend; had no energy at all, just flat wore out from hacking, very sore throat, swollen glands, and just felt like I needed some kind of an answer. All of this in spite of finishing 30 days of antibiotics which was of no use.  The doc did the scope on me through the nose (what fun), and took at a look at my larynx, did the whole routine that I'm sure you are familiar with, and said he didn't see any damage that would make him conclude I have acid reflux, or post nasal drip. He did conclude that the mucous I was hacking was from my lungs. He asked if I've had a bronchoscopy (which I haven't), and recommended to have that done at the VA, and he said he thinks I should have a MRI of my neck and chest as soon as possible and not to delay. He told me if the VA can't do it right away he would order it for me. That of course made me nervous. So I have a call into the VA, but could only leave a message for which they tell me they will call back within 24 hours. This is putting me a little on edge to say the least.
Something natural to help you clear the throat and lungs. Do the kapalbhati, twice a day, to build up your immune system. The  bhramri and ujjayi will stimulate the throat, with the vibration.You will feel the benefit gradually. Do it daily, and this will help you and your body for the rest of life. Let me know at some point, when you notice the benefit.I have tried to explain the method,in simple words and a few attempts may be required.Keep your eyes closed, when you do the pranayam.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Kapalbhati pranayam -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 21  times.

Ujjayi pranayam
Procedure: While breathing in, tighten throat(contract glotis) and there will be sound from back of throat, then drop chin(rest chin on chest), hold breath as long as possible.Then  chin up, close right nostril and slowly breath out through left nostril.
Duration: 5 – 21 times

How to do Ujjayi
When you clear your throat, you tighten your throat and breath out, twice, with a pause in between. . Now if you reverse this, that is, tighten the throat and breath in continuously for abour 8 to 12 seconds, then hold your breath for 4 seconds with the chin down, then  chin up, close right nostril and slowly breath out through left nostril, you have just done Ujjayi pranayam.You will feel like coughing initially.
June 28, 2011
So the phlem comes from your lungs instead of your sinuses?  That's a horse of a different color.

A few years ago I had a sudden and horrible case of bronchitis.  I coughed my lungs out.  I went to the doctor and he gave me TWO SHOTS of different antibiotics.  It started helping quickly  and I was mostly over it in a couple of days.  I've had oral antibiotics before and they do not seem to help anything I took them for.  I think the shots are many times more effective.  The doctor stressed that it took the two different kinds to do the job.  I don't remember what they were now though.
Yeah,
from the lungs, that's what has me so worried.
The mucous is clear to white in color, and having been a Respiratory Therapist for ten years back in 1988 to 98 (no longer in that field..too stressful) I know that the color would have a tinge of yellow to green if it were bacterial(exception to that rule could be TB). So unfortunately anti-biotics wouldn't work if it's not bacterial. By the way the injection you probably received was Rocephin which is used to combat drug resistant bacterial infections (really good stuff).
The other possibilities could be scary, and thus my being upset with that young Pulmo doc. A barium swallow/upper GI series won't show what the lungs are doing it will simply show if there is a leakage past the esophageal sphincter which would lead to the assumption that the irritation of the lungs is caused by GERD which allows acid to leak back into the trachea. All of his chips are placed on this being what is the sole cause of the lungs being irritated, and abnormally producing so much mucous.
My concern of course is that if it is a serious condition going on in the lungs then time is of the essence, and I don't have to tell you how slow the VA can be to get you scheduled for the necessary tests, and how nervous that makes me. I just had a friend go through this, and MD Anderson Cancer Center couldn't save him. I'm sure what happened to my friend just a couple of months ago is weighing heavily on my paranoia right now, but I can't help thinking the worst.
Sometimes knowledge can be your enemy, and not your friend when it comes to things like this.
Of course I really hope this doc is right, and I would be very glad to eat crow without any salt and pepper. I would really love that, but I don't have a whole lot of confidence that he's right!
I really appreciate your input and support, I need all I can get at this point.
Gunner
Hi Gunnner,

Your case sounds complicated.  Hopefully, the doctor is right and it is not TB.  A friend of mine went through a terrible time last year with some kind of fungal infection in his lungs.  The doctors had a very hard time finding what it was. They had to call in a specialist.  If I remember right, they treated it with prednizone.  I could ask him for more details if you like.

Yes, the VA is slow as molassas in January at making appointments - unless your primary-care person tells them it is urgent.  Mine did that this winter when I was having eye problems and was seeing moving colored lights in my right eye.  I got to see a specialist in three days.  Maybe you can impress your doc with the sense of urgency and get him to make that phone call to the specialist.

Good luck
Ed
Hi Ed,
Wow, fungal infections, tough viruses (which is what they are thinking now), or the possibility that the Lupus I have is now attacking my lungs. They just don't know, and all they can do is run test after test that hasn't revealed anything to date. The good side to all the test is that they were able to rule out lung cancer (which scared the heck out of me). So for the Cat-scan I had to pay for out of pocket to a civilian doctor....it was worth it! BTW it did also rule out TB, another bonus.
But bottom line it that my lungs still hurt, and burn, and lots, and lots of fluid continually coming up. I have tried to get the primary care doc at the VA to move on this but have found that he's not movable. He doesn't seem to care for any input from me. That's the part that's so maddening.
Anyway I would appreciate how they figured out the fungal infection was what your friends problem turned out to be, and what specialist it took to figure it out.
Thanks Ed, I appreciate the help.

I
Hi Gunner,

I talked to my friend on Sunday.  What he had turned out to be Bronchiolitis obliterans with organizing pneumonia (BOOP).  It is also known as cryptogenic organizing pneumonia (COP). He had fiberous growths in his lungs, which is why  I thought it was fungal, but it's actually viral.

The GPs couldn't decide what it was and finally called in a specialist.( I think it was a Pulmonologist). They had to take samples and have it analized before they finally figured out what it was.  They treated it with prednizone.  It took a year or more before he was over it.  He had to use oxygen for a long time,  

A suggestion about your VA doc.  Go to the Patient Advocate and make a complaint.  Demand to have a specialist examine you.

Ed
I use Methi seed as a tea and it helps alot.  Put a tablespoon of methi seed in a cup with boiling water and let it soak for 5 or 10 minutes and drink it ; it helps with the mucus alot.  
I too have had this "excessive" mucus (mucous?) all of my life.
I've had a ton of allergies since I was 10.  I can never go anywhere
without a box (a big, full box) of Kleenex or Puffs close-by.

Just in the last year (I'm now 53) things have gotten out of hand with
the throat. Yes, I've been diagnosed with GERD.
In the mornings, about 15-30 minutes after I wake up, I start gagging.
I can't take Medrol, Singulair makes me jittery (costs a lot, too).
I spend 5 minutes or so gagging, and doing deep-throat hacking/clearing while blowing my nose as a ton of mucus comes up.  I almost vomit about 20% of the time.  
ALSO:  A LOT OF AIR is expelled from my stomach!  It's like I have HUGE burps, in the middle of all this--they feel very similar to Vomiting--but only mucus comes up...
I treat this DAILY, almost, with Carbonated Pepsi Throwback --must have REAL sugar...I can, first thing when this starts.  Also, I take an Extra-Strength GAS-X.
Not sure why this works...within 15-20 minutes, things begin to feel more normal, and the "lump" in my throat starts to "go away".
Once I can get to THAT point, I can begin to function normally,
and I'm fine until the NEXT MORNING!!!
I believe it's allergy-caused.  I live in the Allergy capital of the World, Austin, TX.  When I go out of town, or to a less-allergic climate,
I RARELY notice this problem...almost never.
AND, sometimes in Austin, it doesn't seem so bad in the 1 or 2 months where grasses and oak, and ragweed are very low.

That's right ONE 12oz. "Throwback" Pepsi (real sugar, NOT HFCS), and one Extra-Strength Gas-X.
Give it a 1/2 hour.

Eat Something within an hour of taking it (something light -- cereal, or toast--scratchy to help clear the throat).

Works OK for me.  Better than a lot of steroids, or singulair if you ask me.

Thanks for all comments. I have been suffering from thick mucous on my vocal chords for 18 months. This is debilitating not only as I'm a singer but in my daily life. I've had every kind of practitioner look at this and tried every drug, drink, natural herb, mechanical device. The practitioners claim they will fix it it no time and after a few hundred bucks worth of speculative treatment, I move on to the next big hope.  
I've had scans and photos of everything and nothing is apparently wrong - just this daily, constant deposit of thick stringy mucous on my vocal chords which needs to be hacked away for a few seconds or minutes of relief.
Unfortunately, I have no answers and I see none in this column but I live in hope - this appears to be such a simple issue - I am otherwise very healthy - no alcohol, do dairy no meat little wheat. So the daily question is "what is my body trying to expel that I am not aware of?"  Anyway, my ramblings could continue but thanks for listening.! PAW
if youre intel leads you to believe it is due to infection.then there are certain vitamins that will show  a reduction .d3 wich regulates everything in the body including the immune system .aalso zinc and selenium .are 2 others wich help the immune system in fighting infection.obviously not a cure for a disease but it will help to control the viruses that accumulate in the body.there is an alternative therapy that kills all bacteria all viruses,and fungi.i am also having an issue in my throat i decide to try it due to the fact that traditional medicine offeerd me no hope ozone therapy is helping me to clear whatever pathogen is affecting me.i am still getting it and haven't been cured yetbut my symptoms have improved greatly.ozone therapy is super oxygen they use it in hospitals to clean the water systems becauseit kills all bacteria all fungi and all viruses.it is safe and effective .research it many people are getting good results .and it is natural the side affects are it makes your hair skin and nails look better and grow faster.it is used in Europe instead of antibiotics before and after surgery.
i hope this is helpful.
Check to see if your vagus nerve is damaged? read up on the vagus nerve.

best wishes!
The virus infection is bacteria infection caused by muccous thickening, it is dangerous it can lead to bacteria in your blood stream and smoking and coffee is not cool! it keeps your bacteria at bay! i have been doing alot of research i have muccous and didnt know why it kepted coming back until i found the right doctor!! my luck he has his bachelors in science, and also in fectious dieases as well as internal medicine. don't just see any doctor do some research just like if you were going to buy a car!

best wishes to all!!!!

READ UP ON THE VARGUS NERVE IF IT GETS DAMAGED! IF ALL OF YOU NOTICE THAT YOUR GASTRO TRACT IS INVOLVED YOUR HEART LUNGS CHEST CAVITY. THEY SAY IT'S THE VAGUS NERVE! COULD HAVE BEEN DANAGED??  AND ALSO TRY A TEASPOON OF HONEY WHEN YOUR FEEL ATTACK COMING ON ( ACCID REFLUX )
THE REASON THEY CANT FIND OUT WHERE IT'S COMING FROM AND GIVE IT A NAME ACCID REFLUX, THEY WOULD'NT BE AS WORRIED & DESPERATE LIKE WE ALL ARE, IS BECAUSE THEY DON'T LIVE W/ IT MAN! MAKE THEM BE MORE UP FRONT AND THE CARDS ON THE TABLE AND BE HONEST!! BUT I HAVE BEEN READING ON THE VAGUS NERVE AND IT JUST MAKES SENSE. CHECK IT OUT.. AND TO ALL OF YOU SURE YOU KEEP GOING BACK AND BACK TO THE SAME DOCTOR AND THEY ARE GOING TO SEE YOU AND TELL YOU THE SAME THING MONEY MONEY.

GOOD LUCK!!
Any of you ever been checked for TMJ? I have had this problem so long that I didn't even realize it was a serious problem. Mucous builds up and I can feel it on the roof of my mouth. Coffee in the morning makes me drain like crazy! Anyways I went to the dentist for a root canal and he mentioned that I have TMJ and asked me if I wanted to be fit for a splint which is something like a retainer to help me realign my tmj.  I said sure whatever thought he was crazy but then he started to ask if I had headaches and where at and if I had neck pain and what do you know its from tmj. He didn't mention the mucous but I got my retainer and wore it to bed that night and OMG I can breathe in the morning! It felt so great~~When I first got the retainer it opened my mouth a bit so my teeth didn't actually touch ( I used to grind my teeth when i was younger so my mouth prolly shouldn't close all the way like it does now.) and now it is worn down a bit from wearing it and I can't wait to go back and have him refit it. Oh the energy I have now because I can actually breathe! If I am in a car with the defrost on I feel like I am suffocating because of all that hot air blown at my face with this mucous in my throat. I am hoping this will be it and I have finally found out what to do about it!
Hi Dakota,

I couldn't sign in to my account and had to create a new one, but this is the same edaho who started this discussion.

I've made some important discoveries about our common problem.  First is that ENT doctors do not have the answers.  Their expertise ends with the throat, while the problem goes deeper.  They treat for Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) but are ignorant of the real problem, which is Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (LPR) or "Silent Reflux”, which is a problem with the esophagus.

The esophagus has a muscle at both the top and the bottom called sphincter muscles.  They open when swallowing and close to prevent reflux.  When the lower sphincter muscle fails to close, stomach acid backs up into the esophagus causing the burning sensation called heartburn.  The acid can also go into the lungs causing much pain and coughing.  The upper sphincter muscle, if it remains working properly, prevents this acid from entering the throat.  This is GERD.

BUT, if the upper sphincter muscle also does not close properly the acid goes into the throat and larynx, which causes the sinuses to overproduce mucous.  This is the condition called LPR – or Silent Reflux, because the GERD symptoms are not present.  The esophagus also produces mucous, which rises into the throat.  So with mucous coming from the stomach and esophagus and combining with mucous from the sinuses in the throat it becomes a massive chronic problem.

To have the sphincter muscles checked you have to see a Gastroenterologist, (a doctor who specializes in diagnosing and treating disorders of the digestive system).  He will perform an endoscopy using an endoscope, which is a tiny camera and light in a tube that goes down the throat.

It wasn’t until food started sticking in my esophagus that I was referred to a Gastroenterologist.  When he performed the endoscopy it was found that I had a cancerous tumor around the lower sphincter muscle.  I begin chemo and radiation treatments for it next week.

This cancer is usually caused by stomach acid damage to the esophagus, heavy drinking, and/or smoking. As I neither smoke nor drink that leaves stomach acid as the culprit.  The pity of it is that the ENTs and GPs who kept treating me for GERD had no clue that it could be something more complex and they were not smart enough to refer me to a Gastroenterologist.  If they had - this tumor could have been prevented, or caught before it became so huge and life threatening.  

Here’s a link with more info on LPR.
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Ed/Desktop/Laryngopharyngeal%20Reflux%20-%20LPR.htm

I urge you and everyone else who has this problem to see a Gastroenterologist before you become a victim of Esophageal Cancer.

I have been trying to treat these symptoms too. I had an ENT stick a camera up my nose (ouch!) and I have never heard a Dr sound so disgusted before. She described a stringy web-like mucus filling my throat. She told me it was from acid reflux. The meds they gave me for the acid reflux actually gave me noticeable reflux. I started taking Apple Cider Vinegar, which for me worked wonders in both the relief from any heartburn and the feeling of food stuck in my throat. I had already had the Barium fluroscope test to rule out any actual obstructions. I clear my throat so often people think I am being rude. My common statement now is that I am not looking for attention, I am just trying to breath.
Most of my symptoms started after I was given anti-biotics for a viral pnuemonia. Three months later I had horrible post-nasal drip then the throat symptoms started.
Has anyone else tried looking into Candida as a cause. As I have been working on that as a potential treatment, my symptoms are slowly clearing up.
I would love the input of others and am willing to offer my 2 cents worth for others to consider.
I have posted on this site a while ago and have tried many things to help with reflux and mucus . A few days ago I started taking mastic gum ,It is helping greatly.Ican not believe it,I understand it can kill H pylori and ulcers.Hope this helps others Best to all Hotchillipepper.
I've had 'throat glue' causing constant throat clearing and inability to speak properly since puberty.  I found a remedy that works, but it costs 40.00 for a month's supply.  It's native remedies 'mucus-clear'.  I'm looking for a more permanent or diet related remedy to avoid the cost of this product.
     I tried everything....nothing works.....the apple cider did take the sinus headache away and unblock my noise. I did test on the mucus with bubbles spitting on a round mirro putting mucus on it to see if anything would thin it and so far nothing....i tried gas,oil,fire,poison,windex,herbs,anything around the house nothing. I must agree there is no cure at all. I believe in time that it will end up being something like agent orange ,it either from our food or something that there using now and we wont know till 30 years from now. The doctors probaly dont even know yet. They need to do lab test to see what this really is. The bubbles in it and the thickness is odd. as anyone out had a lab test on ur mucus. it just seems to many got this...i had a lot of fluid build up in my head and felt i was going to drown in it. i took off to florida in 4 to 5 hours it started coming out of my nose and mouth i couldnt even speak it was flying out of my mouth. am hoping to go back to florida and see if i spend alot a time in ocean it would help this mucus in throat and the rest of sinus problems.
Hey guys, I really believe this condition is called LPR which is where the spincture muscle that is suppose to close doesn't therefore the acid pushes up into your system usually bypassing the lower part of the esophagus and heads up to the upper part of the esophagus into the larynx and sometimes even higher towards the nasal cavity, which is why most of us do not having the burning in the chest because the acid has actually been pushed higher up causing an immune response of mucus to be produced. This mucus is actually trying to protect the lining of the esophagus, larynx otherwise your throat would be on fire Most of us probably also have a Hiatal Hernia with the condition.
I have had this condition for a long time and have seen many doctors who are also clueless. I have tried the acid reflux meds none of them worked plus I didn't like the idea of all the acid being neutralized and risking my calcium  intake not being absorbed you need acid to help with calcium absorption otherwise one could end up with another serious issue, the apple cider vinegar thins the mucus but doesn't stop it from forming.

What has finally worked for me is the 80 alkaline/ 20 acid diet meaning I started eating alot of raw and steamed vegetables with nothing on them no seasonings, or butter.Most vegetables are alkaline and they neutralize acid trust me it works. Any other kind of food is acidic meats,breads, cakes, any and all sweets and most drinks other than water so you want to limit your intake of all of these things.
I don't take any meds other than aspirin or tylenol for some type of pain. I take vitamins in the morning as most need the acid in your system to help with absorption.
I tried to eat all acidic foods (meats for protein, breads etc) in the morning and for lunch with alkaline foods - some veggies or salad that I only use lemon or olive oil and vinegar as a dressing. I've noticed any other dressings will set me off.
I tried to eat my dinner between 4-5:30 pm and it is strictly alkaline if I eat any meat it is fish with a little lemon But like I said I try not to eat any acidic foods for dinner.
If you stick to this you will notice that in about 3 days the hacking will diminish and life will become so much better. you will be able to sleep at night without all the hacking.
Now trust me there are times when things will come up and you won't be able to stick to  this completely so I say go and enjoy but start back on the 80/20 the next day. If your going to drink coffee or cola products do it earlier in the day and eat lots of veggies afterwards to help neutralize the acid that will be formed from these products.
I think trying to fix yourself holisticly is the way to go it can't hurt to try but depending on how bad off you are i would give it a week or two to start noticing the healing affects. Most of us have been dealing with this for years so it will take sometime for your body to start healing. You also take magnesium at night it also helps to neutralize acid and it is the most important mineral to take.
I believe LPR (Laryngopharyngeal reflux) is what I had, however it was never diagnosed. I researched it on the Internet. It is also known as Silent Reflux. There is a sphincter valve, a ring of muscle around both the lower end and upper ends of the esophagus that open when we swallow and then closes to prevent reflux.  When the lower one fails to close completely acid rises into the esophagus causing common acid reflux, called GERD and the resulting heartburn. When the upper sphincter valve also fails to close the acid rises into the throat, and heartburn is not felt. That's why they call it "Silent Reflux"

In my case it was too late for any treatment; I had a malignant tumor where the esophagus joins the stomach. I only found this out when food became stuck in my esophagus and I was X-rayed. And, as I had heart problems for years, they didn't dare operate to remove the tumor. I went through chemo and radiation for five weeks almost a year ago. The tumor has shrunk and I am in remission. (After a massive heart attach too)

A word of advice for everyone with this problem, ENT specialists are clueless about this condition. Even the Gastroenterologist I finally saw had never heard of LPR.

The causes of esophageal cancer are  drinking too much alcohol, smoking, and acid reflux. As I do not drink or smoke, that means the stomach acid, (LPR) was the cause. Anyone with LPR should have their esophagus x-rayed for a tumor. Esophageal Cancer is a silent killer, with a very small survival rate. It was only through several miracles that I survived.  

If cancer is not found, the LPR can usually be cured by stretching the sphincter muscles with angioplasty (balloon treatment) , which helps them to close better. LPR is a VERY serious condition, which most doctors know nothing about.
I tried many things for mucous in my throat/post nasal drip. I have recently found that Oil of Oregano actually works. I put 4 drops of oregano oil in a small amount of water, gargle for a minute or so and swallow it. It is in an olive oil base when you buy it and has a slight bitter taste which disappears quickly. I have to say it is amazing stuff....just wanted to share !!
have the same thing,  bubbles like gel I spit in a clear plastic cup and they stayed for days, I think its some sort of worm or parisite that is in my sinus and lungs. I caugh up thick rubbery strands of mucus type looking stuff which has sometime a sort of flesh color I think they r the eggs of the parisite.
I have the same thing gel like bubbles and thick long rubbery flesh colored things they r sometimes a ball too but they pull apart or unroll into longer worm looking things its freaking me out.
I don't know if I should cry.  Maybe get on some anti-depressant meds.  After reading nearly 8 years of comments.  No one came back and said I am cured and this is gonna help you.
I am a man and 47, my mucus clearing in my throat began at 40.  Never had an alergy in my life.  
Done all the usual.  Barrium swallow, twice down the throat with the camera.
ENT.  tried every over the counter meds for alergies.  Predinizone 3 times, flonase.  Went to alergy doc.  No alergies what so ever.
The did find the hiatal hernia.  a ring and some damage near my throat from acid.  the sore leaks acid.  
they put me on proton pump inhibitors.  5 weeks now, no help with the clear sticky mucus.
i stopped all coffee, black tea,  no junk food.  no dairy.  no wheat, no gluten.
6 weeks.  no help.
i will stop red meat next.  so just veggies, fruit. fish chicken.  i stopped all pork already.
ACV.  apple cider vin, does help a little.  i juice tumeric, ginger, grapefruit, honey, acv,  pinch of celtic sea salt.  seems to help a little.  i do that before bed and helps me sleep.
a take melatonin.  that does help me sleep.
but i havent found anything that stops this constant throat clearing.
its depressing.  I read about some of you who have it way worse than me.
How do you keep sane.  I am at wits end.  Pause, cleared my throat.  LOL.
I've had this issues for 12 years now and it started after I got Lyme Disease.  I have a 98% blocked deviated septum, sinusitis and severe chronic asthma.  I get thick white sticky frothy mucus in my throat every day- every hour -every minute and I am constantly "coughing up a lung".  I have tightness in my chest- severe dizziness, severe swelling/pain/heaviness in my legs (like concrete) and my BP soots up to 185/120 at night.  (normal for me is 90/60)  and my temp drops to 93.3.

I am completely exhausted every minute of the day and have heart palpitations and arrhythmias constantly.  The pulm. doc told me I have PND and Acid reflux also- I haven't been able to swallow anything other than liquids for 12 yrs and  any liguid makes it worse.  I also found out I have Hashimotos and my thyroid has millions of nodules all over it- making things worse- especially when my lyme kicks in and swells everything up.  (Lyme is a disease of inflammation.)  I have the quality of life of a 98 yr old man in a nursing home.  All the docs have given up and don't care that I almost choke to death every day.  If you are a woman over 40 - you don't matter.  If they suffered the way I do- they would start caring.
OMG. I sat here today and read all the comments and am shocked as well that no one can find a cure for this problem. I have the same thing some morning are worse then others some times I cough so hard trying to get this mucus up I start gagging not any fun. I get so tired after a bout with this I just want to go to bed. I have had this problem for going on 5 years now. The Drs say its Silent Gerd taken Nexium no help, Asthma, Allergies. They now tell me I have COPD which makes it worse, can't breath and coughing up all this mucus. Tried the Neti Pot no luck, nasal sprays, vaporizers. Have a chocking spell on my food or water at times and start coughing and spitting up mucus for about 30 min. What seems to quite the coughing is a piece of cinnamon candy & peppermint tea.
I have to go to a Pulmonologist on the 29th because after I have a coughing attack having a hard time breathing. Going to try Fenugreek powder and see if that helps. Its really a shame as far as we have come in the medical world that no one can figure out this problem.  
Since I started this discussion in 2008 i have been through the wringer. I was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in 2012. The treatment just about killed me. In fact, you might say it did. I had a massive heart just after treatment and was given CPR, which brought me back after having no vital signs for eight minutes.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I still have the same problem with mucous, and am still looking for a cure. I did have a temporary respite when I quit drinking orange juice, but the problem returned within months.

You know how all the medical practitioners say to drink eight glasses of water a day to stay hydrated?  The common opinion seems to be that increasing hydration will help thin out the mucous. Drinking all that water did not help me. In fact, I couldn’t choke that much down every day.

I just found something online that seems promising. It’s called CELLULAR HYDRATION. (hydration within the cells) Here's the URL to the site. http://www.richmondreview.com/lifestyles/173973921.html

Dr. Neetu Dhiman, at this site states that drinking all that water does nothing to improve cellular hydration. It only increases the hydration between cells.  Dr. Neetu Dhiman, is a Naturopathic Physician at Brio Integrative Health Centre Inc.  She can be reached at ***@****

She claims that using Celtic or Himalayan Sea salt will greatly increase cellular hydration. This is not the Sea Salt that is available in most grocery stores. It is unrefined, unprocessed, unheated, untreated sea salt in its natural form – with about eighty minerals that are removed in processing table salt. These minerals are claimed to improve cellular hydration. I just got some at a health food store and will post whether or not it seems to be helping. I did notice already, that about ¼ tsp of this salt in a tall glass of water is delicious, and I can drink more water with comfort.

Ed

Hi Mark,
I am  new to this page. I have been reading all the previous post and am sorta glad I am not the only one with this problem.   I have one question that I have not noticed on previous comments..... do any of you have the mucous so thick that it actually does not dissolve?  Not always, but sometimes during the night I get up and have to sorta gargle  to spit it up.  what lands on my drain is usually there in the morning.. Ugh! I know...
I will try the Singular, which kinda makes sense to me at this time... Thanks for all the post, I hope I didn't gross anyone out...
Sometimes mine is the consistency of a chunk of Jello. Most of the time it is somewhat thicker than molasses.
I have a similar condition. It started after an exposure to glyphosate (Round up). It includes not being able to get food or liquids past the Lower Esophageal Sphincter (LES). I found your discussion today as I was at my wits end, again, with the snot and starvation. Has anyone here tried lugol's iodine solution? Just something I've found in a distantly related search thread.  Have any of the rest of you been diagnosed with, or have symptoms of low or hypothyroid?  On this site ( http://www.laurapower.com/page26.html ) under the 4 functions of iodine , section 1, second full paragraph, she states lack of iodine causes excess mucous production... Most people eating a western diet are iodine deficient. Iodinized salt won't do it. I'm ordering the lugol's from amazon today. We'll see how it goes.
I have had this problem for more than 20 years. A few weeks ago I developed a severe fever which my specialist diagnosed as pneumonia. I got sputum test and they isolated Morraxella Catahrris bacteria out it. The antibiotic the doctor gave me cleared my chest, my nasal clogging and took away most of the stale sticky mucus I had for years. I have inhaled tonnes of budenoside, goobled packets of singulair ( very expensive) and even used overused prednosolene at one time, but have never felt better. I got polyps removed thrice, name it, I have been through it. Go to your GP and sweet talk them for sputum checks for Moraxella. It is hard to pick unless they are looking for it. I bet most of you will come off this community. Unfortunately doctors do not believe this bacteria require attention.
I just had baloon sinusplasty to relieve me of painful gums and sinus problems.  Still have the same problem.  ENT put me on anti-biotics and didn't work.
My name s Anita I have had chest heaviness for months and coughing at night. Tried everything. 3 weeks ago I had a terrible cold fever sore throat. I took neo Ciaran alternating with Tylenol and cough syrup.  Garbled and used neo pot.  2 days later I was spitting up clumps of green mucus.  Since then coughing and mucus as you mentioned.  I m gonna drink warm water with lemon cause lemon breaks mucus up using neo pot and gargling every 3 - 4 hrs.  I lol let you know.

Anita
Has anyone come up with an answer. My mucus in white and water. Will ask doctor today to try a steroid for short period
thanks
Hi all,

I am dying from thick phlegms...I have suffred from PND for more than 7 yrs now...main cause is, i belive, allergic rhinosinusitis. Recently it got worse, now i feel life-threatened every day.

Doctors usuallly says like; it's from your head,..it does not kill you...you are just more sensitive than your symptom...and recently, an elderly allergist who is 70 yrs old who practicing for 30 yrs, said to me..."you know, i think it is your habit of spitting saliva". With a $900 worth of allergy-test, his saying it was an insult to me. I am allergic to many things. Antihistamins or nasal sprays generally did not help.
Many doctors do not understand this well.
It is caused from a bacteria in the gut. You need to change get rid of the bad bacteria and replace it with the good. Do some research on the Internet you will found your answers. Here is one site to get you started http://www.livescience.com/23130-chronic-sinus-problems-bacteria.html
Hello Everybody,

Do you guys have difficulties swallowing food and liquids due to the thick mucus?
Hello Everybody,

i have the same thing had ablation of spg nerve thought neurology helped a little, lidocaine helps but cant have that done every day under my left eye. had a septoplasty helped deviated and turbinates were scraped , but I still am even a little bit worse.  the minute I set foot out of the bed it is so thick I feel suffocated. goes on mostly all day long. I am on a food peg an I think that refuxes up too for I am always over the wastebasket.  it Is gross and I sympathize with anyonw having this. I wish they would but money in research for mucus or just common cold mine was that 3 years ago wil be this coming January and lost 70 lbs.  the drs don't seem to care since I got the peg they feel that is keeping me alive but miserable. any hints send them. I find steam helps and hydrocoedene 2 times a day with klonopin to take the pain away.
It all has to do with your diet and lifestyle. Follow the Dr.Sebi diet (alkaline diet ) Remove meat, dairy, eggs, sugar &  wheat (Helped me dramatically) Exercise 3-5 days a week. Drink half a gallon of water a day, and make sure to get 9 hours of sleep everyday.
I have the same scary choking sensations that I haven't found a Dr that is knowledgeable enough to figure it out..but I have no insurance for 3 months so I will be following..and as soon as I can research a Dr in my area that knows something I will keep you all updated..thank God I found a place that people understand and I love the tips..thank you
Lifescience person and Dr. Sebi person are ABSOLUTELY correct.

It's so hard to do things right in our day and age because GMO goods exist to kill us. Read up on that!

Dr Sebi was a genius and Jesus was with him every step of way. Dr. Sebi also says Broccoli and Cauliflower aren't good and Almond Milk has Cyanide in it. Yikes!

Drink hot water with lemon, it has helped me a lot