Respiratory Disorders Community
Thick mucous in larnyx

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Thick mucous in larnyx

I have a continuous problem with thick mucous in my throat.  I must clear my throat a hundred times a day.  My larnyx gets so full of the thick mucous that I almost choke and it causes my eyes to water.  When this happens I hack up about a quarter cup of the stuff.  

I went to an ENT specialist who diagnosed sinusitis due to restricted airflow because of a deviated septum.  After two surgeries for this there is no improvment.  I've tried Musinex and steroid nose sprays.  Nothing seems to help.  

I've read that this could be Laryngopharyngeal reflux and could be treated with Medrol or Budesonide.  Could this be true?

This discussion is related to Excessive Thick Mucous in Throat-- HELP!!!.
I tried the Medrol for my "thick mucus in throat" it seemed as if it was going to work and i got super happy, but then after I got off of it, the "thing" returned. Some people say it does help, might as well try it, maybe you'll be one of the ones it does work on, but i wasn't so lucky. What is Budesonide? I haven't tried that one yet. I can totally relate to you. I am going in next week for a ct scan of my throat, I've had tons of other tests done and they can't find anything but reflux. None of the meds for that has worked.
Just curious, do you have a dog or cat? My doctor ran allergy tests on me and says I'm allergic to animals (I've had them my whole life too) anyway your body can start to have a reaction to your allergies and create a thick mucus in throat. Now......if I knew that was the case I'd just deal with it, but still uncertain. I am not getting rid of my pets. They are both old and couldn't adjust to a new home, but I would be careful not to get more or to find a dog better "suited" for my allergies. BUT......my point is maybe that could be an issue. i don't know, if you figure it out please let me know. I've spent a fortune trying to get an answer on this stuff. i went from not having this my whole life to one day waking up and having it and it's decided to call my throat "home"
Good luck
Dakotawinks
I've had this problem most of my adult life, but it has gotten much worse the last couple of years.  It doesn't seem to make any difference if there are cats or dogs around.  

Budesonide is a glucocorticoid steroid for the treatment of asthma, non-infectious rhinitis, etc.  It comes either in a nasal spray or pills.  It is not supposed to have the side effects of Medrol.

I'm going to set up another appointment with the ENT doc. to ask him about this.   I'll let you know the results.
What side effects of Medrol?? I decided to give it another shot. I had a prescription for it here at home and went to get it filled. I was going to blow it off, but thought "I'll give it one more shot"
Please let me know how you are.....I"m not crazy about my ENT docs, they have totally blown me off because I'm almost "50" and smoker. I am trying to quit, and see if things get any better for me.
I can't figure out why nobody has an answer to this.
Let me know your results....
Dakota
I don't know what the side effects of Medrol are, just what I read on the web somewhere.  Another discussion on this forum said that you had to take double the amount of medrol that is normally recommended to clear this problem.  I couldn't call the EMT until today, and it's still too early to call, but I hope to make an appointment for this week.  I'll keep you informed.
Just curious if  you found anything out from your ENT? Today is the day I go in for the ct scan of my throat. I'm pretty nervous about it too. I'm afraid it could be something really serious too. Let me know how you're doing.
Dakota
I couldn't get an appointment until the 24th.  I'll kiip you informed.

It's the 24th, did you find out anything at all today?? I swear it's always "hurry up and wait" let me know.......
Dakotawinks - Sandy
the ENT did not diagnose anything but was willing to give me a prescription for Medol.  He also wants to schedule me for a Barium Swallow test.  That is x-raying the throat while I swallow a liquid of some sort that shows up on x-rays.  I don't know yet when the test will be.

What did you find out on your CT Scan?
I had a barium swallow done, it's really not too bad. I kept hearing that barium was horrible, but actually I looked at the guy and said "it's really not that bad" so good luck on it. So you're starting the Medrol, let me know....I think when I first tired it by the third or fouth day I felt a differene Let me know if it works for you, some people swear by it. I got my test back and it's some sort of sinus infection for me. Now, they KNEW that a year ago and said "it was no big deal" now they saw it at a different angle and said it was worse than they had thought.....we shall see.
Sandy
Hi Sandy,

I have an appointment on Monday for the barium swallow test.  I took the first six Medrol pills last night and they seemed to keep me awake for hours.  I took the next dosage of five pills earlier tonight.  Hopefully, that will let me sleep better.  I hope your sinus infection will clear up quickly.

Ed
i always took them in the morning as i think they can make you jittery.......how are you feeling on them??
Except for the sleeplessnes the first night - which is one of the stated possible side effects - they haven't bothered me.  Yesterday showed some improvement, but not during the night last night.
Well?? You should be done with them or close to it, has it helped? do you feel better? I have gotten worse ..........again. I have no clue as to why.
Yes, I finished the Medrol yesterday.  They did seem to help a lot although the problem has not entirely cleared up.  I've always had this problem somewhat and now it seems to be back to that level.  From another forum I heard that you have to use twice the dosage to cure the problem.  I don't know if that means go through the dosage twice or do a double dose at once.  I'll go back there and ask.

I was happy to find that the Medrol (generic) only cost $4.00 at Walmart.

I did the Barium Swallow Test Sunday.  I don't think they will find any problem there because the mucous was all that was hard to swallow.
I know the time I took Medrol it seemed to help. i thought it was finally over with, but then after a bit it returned. She tried to put me on it again when I told her it had returned, but this time it did no good.
Barium Swallow test on a Sunday??? Hummm.......I didn't know doctor's or techs worked on Sundays, thought they were playing golf.
Hope evrything comes out ok, but it probably will. mine came out fine, it' s just this mystery throat gel i have.
Talk to you later.
Sandy
I got the ENT to prescribe another dose of Medrol.  I'll start it today or tomorrow, depending on when I get to town to pick it up.  I seem to be almost back to normal (for me that is).  I'll let you know if the second dosage of Medrol makes any more difference.

Sunday? Oops, I meant Monday, lol.

The Barium Swallow test showed that I had a Hiatus Hernia.  That's where the esophagus joins the stomach.  I've been taking medication for years for acid reflux, but thought it was just a leaky valve.  The ENT said to just continue my meds for that as it was working okay.
I have a longer history with the same problem as you do. Most of my ENT doctors say that reflux is the problem. I have taken antiacid Rx pills and raised one side of my bed. Nothing actually made the situation better. I then tightly watched my sympton and tried to find the cause of the problem. From what I experienced, I have found the main problem is the excessive mucus secreated from your sinus. When you secreate normal amount of mucus, you nostril could handle it properly so it flows down to your stomach without your knowing it. But when excessive amount is secreated, the flow of mucus gets slowed down. it starts to accumulate in your breath path. By the time it gets to your throat, mucus becomes thickened. It's hard to get it out because it's where you can't swallow down or cough it up. My symtons include excessive thin mucus in upper sinus, sometimes I can blow it our clear; in the middle way, I have crust accumulated in my nostril and sometimes I can pick and get it out (quiet a bit); and in my lower breath path or deep in my throat, I have thickened mucus and gel like tiny balls and hard to get them out. I have tried different things to reduce the mucus secreation. However none of them has been proven effective or without side effect. Lately I started to us SinusWars2. I noticed that my muscus has been getting less and my nostrils are getting clearer. One noticable change is I have much less crust in my middle nostrils where I used to reach to get crust out. I feel much easier to breath when I go for a jogging or swimming. Again I just started to take this sinus remedy and need time to prove its effectiveness. Hope to hear feedback from others.
let me know if it works, because I have almost the exact same thing as you. I have no idea why I have this or where it came from. Like I've said "I went to bed normal one night and woke up with this ****" I too have what I call mucus plugs that are hard to cough up, I think they get stuck in my airways. I have no clue why.
I have found on these posts, that nobody knows why we have this and that doctor's find it all a big mystery as they can not figure it out either. ENT's still haven't figured it out for me.
Dakotawinks
After hacking for the past 1/2 hour, I googled and found this site.  Count me in as one of the victims.   Lying down is the worst for me.  Morning and evenings are brutal.  I see a pulmonologist on Tuesday...  Thick like, stringy like, hard to get up and at times they look like bubbles.   The nose then has to get into the act.
Well it's nice to meet you, only I wish it were under different circumstances. I have been to every doctor you can think of. They told me acid reflux but meds for that have'nt worked for me. Had chest ct scan, throat ct scan, sinus ct scan, barium swallow larynoscopy too.
After a year and a half of tests, nobody knows why I have this. I went to bed normal one night and woke up like this and it's been this way ever since. It has totally changed my life.....and I hate it.
If you find out anything please post and let us know what you find out. I have not been to a pulmonologist so maybe that should be my next visit.
Dakotawinks aka Sandy
Good luck tomorrow. Let me know what you find out. I think I need your doctor, he/she seems to care.
I joined this because of something you said." Thick like, stringy like, hard to get up and at times they look like bubbles. "   I have had this problem now for almost a year. When it first started I woke up one morning and the entire back of my mouth and throat was covered in this thick mucus. A few days later it was gone. About a month later, I woke up one morning to the feeling of a lump, but was nothing more than a pocket of mucus. About 2 weeks later it left and I went about my normal life. These symptoms keep coming and going for about 7 months, then finally they're here to stay. I haven't had any relief from this for about 3 months now. What I "force" up looks like stringy white mucus with little tiny bubbles. I have had many throat exams. One Dr says its viral another said it was strep, but hard to believe since the color is not indicitive to bacterial infection. I do not have any post nasal drip or did I have any before. I do feel slight pain in my adnoids, but its usually for a min or two then goes away. I have had my cervical and axillary lymphnoids examined and there appears to be no swelling. I try 6-8oz of water a day to try and thin this mucus but nothing seems to work. Thought I am only 27, due to my past knoweldge I have a feeling this may be more than just a viral infection. I plan on going to an oncologist for a lymphnoid biopsy. sorry to type so much, but your comment just struck home for me. I will update this as often as I can with the ever so mounting school work a head of me.
Well let us know if you find anything out. I am going on a year and a half with it. I don't feel sick but I feel like I have a pocket of mucus in my throat all the time.....I hate it. It has been here way too long and I can't believe a doctor can't figure it out.
Dakota
How did your tests go, it's been at least a week now.......
I have been struggling to keep my back throat clear by constantly clearing my throat, but most of time it's unproductive. The feeling is very disppointing and helpless. I finally came up a way to temporally relief my unconfortness. I use a low pressure air pump, such as the one used in Rinoflow, to blow down thick mucous in the back of my throat in tosil area and then expell or cough up the thick mucous. I did several times yesterday and worked well for me. I thought everyone here had suffered from the same thing as I had and thought everyone wanted a quick relief. You can do this as often as you need. There is no side effect. Other thing I recommed there is use saline solution to rinse your nostril through throat frequently, I mean many times in a short time and reduce the infection in the back throat area. Eventually it will heal. I hope this will help and would like feedback from people who have tried.
Hi guys,

your problems seeemlike mine, I had phlegm (mucus in throat) for 7 months after a sore throat. 3 weeks ago had nasal discharge and Dr. gave me a corticosteroid nasal spray works well but doesn't stop the pressure in head/eyes.

The phlegm used to be clear until when the sinus problem started and it just keeps going bacl to my throat . Colour yellow/green.
I alwasy have to cough on purpose to relieve the phlegm like 100 times a day.
I have gone also to GUM clinic for STD tests and all fine.
Did vitamin, iron, B12 and throid tests and all fine.
I will see my Dr. tmr and ENT when I get back home in December.

One more thing, not sure if any of you have this vision problem (imagine the after feeling of drinking 2 beers but 24/7, all the time feeling). I am not sure people here have same problem and they say might be non-allergic rhinitis (vasomotor)..so don't know.

Thanks and Regards,
FWK
I have had sinus and phlegm problem for many many years. When you have yellowish green discharge, that indicates you are having infection. If infection is pretty bad, you need to take antibiotics. In the mean time, you need to keep your nostril moisted most of time so bacterias can't grow in the system. It should clear your mucus in a few days. If you have real bad sinus congestion, you might feel dizzy. Maybe that's why you feel light headed. I think the key points with thick mucus problems are excessive secretion of mucus and reduced flow of mucus, therefore you have accumulated thickened mucus in the throat. In order to reduce phlegm, we need to cut back mucus secretion and clear the mucus flow path. If we can acheive both, we will be ok.
Where did you get the air pump? This seems so stupid to me that a doctor can NOT figure this out. How does one go from never having this problem one day to this the next? I swear I think we have a sinus blockage somewhere that is causing this, this just isn't right. I have been using the saline rinse a lot, is it just the regular saline rinse in the white bottle with an orange top??
Hi Mark,

My nasal steroid worked well no discharge after 2 weeks of using it, but I still have pressure in sinus areas sometimes and phlegm is also there.

I am going to Dr. today to see when can I stop my nasal spray and why I still get pressure at times.
One more thing, my phlegm and vision problem seem to go worse with weather, food (especially) and stress.

Will see what happens with my GP
Regards,
FWK
So far no cure.I took the second round of medrol, but when I was half way through the six day treatment program I came down with a horrible cold in both the chest and sinuses.  After getting over the cold it seemed that the medrol had not helped, so I'm back to square one.

One interesting thing though, when I had the cold I used a parasite zapper to kill the incection in the sinuses and it helped the next day but the problem came back again.  I used the zapper again and gained temporary relief, but the underlying problem is still there - the phlem in my throat.  

This phlem or mucus clogs my throat at times so bad that my eyes start watering and my nose starts running.   I thought it might be some kind of allergy so I took some Claritin but that didn't help either.  It's amazing that the doctors cannot figure out what is causing it.
Hi Ed so glad to hear from you, thought you found a cure and left us hanging....
What is a zapper?? I have no clue. Guess we're all in the same boat with no oars.....
I tried Claritan myself and it did nothing for me either. Do you have dogs? I have had them my whole life and they are suggesting that could be my problem. Guess I won't find out if they're right or not for a few years cuz I'm not getting rid of them to see.
I can't go back to a doctor until after the first of the year, need to save money for my son for Christmas, but I have a new doctor and if she can't see something new then I'm trying the pulmonary doctor, see if he knows. I'm afraid though they all just laugh at me. They read the computer from the other doctor's I have seen and none of them want to help. THey think it's in my head...well, that I"m making it all up.
I agree, I can't believe we are the only ones with this and nobody can figure it out. My allergist said "I was the only one he had ever seen with this problem" so I guess it is very rare. I'll talk to you later as the "mother ship" is getting ready to leave....lol guess I'm an alien according to my doc.
Hi guys,

I went to my GP yesterday, different DR. all the time but alwasy have to bring back the history.
She said I have to continue using my corticosteroid since it cleared my nose for like anotehr few weeks and come back, then she will refer me to opthalmologist for my eyes whichj will be useless because I did taht and my eyes are perfect...it is sinusis.

My eyes also water and itch like urs guys. Both vision and phlegm are worse after eating, not sure if it is the food or generally eating. Also weather and stress make them worse. My upper right jaw cracks from time to time also.
I am thinking to go to a dietician for food allergy testing...what do you think?
Thanks,
FWK
Could be food allergies, anything is worth a shot. Take a benedryl for your eyes when they are itchy and watery. I do that and it really helps with the itching.
Well like I said, I too am going to go to a new doctor but not until after the first of the year. I am spending so much on this just to walk and and be told they have no idea. I have been using those darn nasal sprays with steriods for a long time now. My doctor keeps telling me to keep using it but I haven't noticed any change in myself. I would totally take anything I thought was improving my problem.
Thanks,
Dakota
The one I used to blow the mucus in my back throat is for Rinoflow system which I bought a few years ago. If you do search on the Internet, you will find one. However you can use any thing manually operated which can blow out some air through a plastic tubing. Blow toward your back throat aera and make sure mucus gets blown down or side way. You can test this by blowing water on your palm and see how the water gets blown away. It's very easy to do so. Also I have a feeling that post nasal drainage can't be cured if your air way doesn't have any deformation. I have tried almost everything including Medrol, nose spray, allergy shots, allergy medication, antacid medication, and etc. Nothing works and everything has a side effect. I think we as patients have to take care of this issue by keep our nostrils and air way free of infection and clean. When I rinse my nostrils with saline, I actually flush them with saline. You have to feel salty water flow out from your throat. This way you can reduce the swallen area around your tosils and reduce mucus secretion in there ( I believe that area secrets mucus too). You need to do it once every one hour for a couple of days so that area is not going to be puffy, plus blow mucus down. Then you use saline spray as maintenance if you nose gets dry. Use 1/2 teaspoon plain salt in 8 oz. water to make saline solution yourself. You should have enough to use. Post your feed back so we can see how it works.
Glad your discharge has gone away, but I won't give full credit to steroid. Our body heals itself too. Excessive use of steroid will have serious side effect. Your nasal congestion seems to bother you a lot. You need to fid out what causes the congestion. Is it caused by swallen lining or excessive mucus? If there is no deformation or any other infection in your nostril, I would recommend you use saline to reduce lining puff or thining your mucus so you can therefore reduce your congestion. I will try nose spray, but I won't rely on it. It should be used for sympton reduction temporally until your body heals itself. If it doesn't we have to take care of it. That's what I think after so many years of trying and failure.
Hi Mark,

I don't have excessive mucus through my nose, it is gone with all the smell and bad odour. All I have is phlegm for 7 months and a vision problem I can't seem to describe but people here tell me all might be related to something called vasomotor rhnitis...dunno.

Anyway I do a neti poti (breathing with bowl of steam and menthol), I also do a throat nasla rinse with sea salt, it takes all the **** out.....bu general feeling of illness (malaise) is always there like there is something in going wrong from above my neck, all sinusis I guess.
The DR. told me to use the steroid till it finishes, so will do that, I will go to ENT back home in december and see if he can do x-rays, CT or allergy tests.
I have no life anyway, maybe none of us do anymore...but I have to better get used to it....will update you guys on what happens.

Thanks and Regards,
FWK
I know what you mean about the doctors not believing you.  I ususlly get my medical care at the VA Clinic, but it is a two hour drive away, so I don't get there as often as I probably need to do.  

My Primary Care person there is a Physician's Assistant, not a full fledged doctor.  Two different times, a full year apart, I explained my problem to him and he just tried to tell me that it was normal, WITHOUT EVEN AN EXAMINATION!!!

I then went to a civilian doctor who immediately examined me and x-rayed my sinuses.  He found one completely blocked and infected and a deviated septum.  He referred me to an EMT who recommended surgery to correct both problems.  I had the surgery, but he had not done a good job on the deviated septum so I had to have that operation again.

It seemed for awhile that the problem was clearing up.  I had another appointment already scjeduled at the VA for my annual checkup.  When I told the guy that two other doctors had immediately seen the problem and that he had told me twice that it was normal without even an exam he blatantly denied ever doing that.  

A parasite zapper is a small electronic device that kills parasites, bacteria, and viruses by introducing a low voltage frequency into the body that kills them, yet is harmless to the human body.  If you do a Google search on them you will find a lot of different ones and some good information about what they can do.  

It's only fair to tell you that I build and sell zappers on the Internet, but I am not going to tell you which brand because I am not trying to promote sales here.  I can tell you though that the reason I got into them was because traditional medicine had failed me and that a borrowed zapper really helped me.
I don't know about the problem with your vision, but I think if you have phlegm in your throat which you can't expel, it might be in the tosil area. If phlegm comes from your lower respiratory system, you should be able to cough up or expel it. Although you don't feel you have mucus flow down through your air way, it still does. If you feel something in back throat and can't expel it, phlegm might come from mucus from upper sinus or from back throat. If it's clear, it's not infected. When it's yellowish, there is infection. You can use saline to rinse your air way through back throat to thin mucus and clear infection. Keep it moisted and blow phlegm in back throat down, you can expel it and make your feel better. Personally I beleive there isn't a cure for post nasal drainage no matter what you do. We know our body, and we can work around it and make ourselves feel better. Hope it will heal someday. I have done everything including cat scan twice and numerous visits to ENT doctors and allergy doctors for testing and shots, etc. Nothing seems to be wrong and the problem is not going away. I think everybody is different. You just need to figure out what you can do to make air flow better and when swallowing, you don't feel lump somewhere. That's my goal.
Hi Mark,

Thanks a lot for your fast replies. All you said is right and because of all the on-purpose coughing my throat feels irritated and tonsils are red (no pain), toungue looks pale, guess has lots of bacteria too because of teh sinus problem and also bad breath......I can't go to dentist until this goes or at least try everything I can.

Phlegm is yellow only recently after I got this sinus problem was alwasy white/clear  for past 6 months hence why my Dr. never did anything to help.
I al so tested for HIV and otehr sexual infections (all clear) because I used to have a messy sexual life, I still think it might be related.....Drs. don't want to hear it anyway.

Thanks and Regards,
FWK
Do you have Kaiser insurance?? Cuz your doctor sounds like mine. I had one doctor tell me to move to a place w/ an ocean....like I have the money to pack up and move. I"ll google that information later on. This is sad isn't it?? I mean why are there so few of us with this?? I mean I suppose there are lots more, but why now?? Why not all my life? If it's sinus then why don't I ever feel them drain into my throat?? It would be nice, just to have a doctor that knew....
I think there are a lot more of us with this problem.  I've had it for years, but only lately, after it got much worse, have I started looking online for information that might help.

Yes, I too do not often feel this mucus sliding down my throat.  And when I do it is easy to get it ou with just one quick cought.  The stuff in my throat is so sticky and thick that even eating coarse foods, like celery with lots of fiber, will not push it down.  The only way I can get it out is to make my larnyx vibrate as I push air out.  I have to do this at several different frequencies.  Isn't that weird though?  

What is even more strange is that both my father and my two older brothers were always making a hacking noise to clear their throats and spit it out.  I wonder if it is partly a genetic problem.

Anyway, the VA has opened a clinic nearer to me, only about 45 mintues away. I have an appointment there for Nov 21.  I doubt they will be any more help that the others, but hey it doesn't cost me anything but gas.  
My son swears he has the same thing, and my father is still alive and he is always making a horrible noise and hacking, but I find it gross that he always swallows it....yuck.
Let me know what you find out in November, I am going to go back not until sometime the first of next year...sounds so far away.
Well, now I've become a very strange person. I read that putting nasal sprays up your nose doesn't always work unless you hang off the side of your bed and lower your head to the floor and then spray.....I started trying this. The article said that sprays will not get to different areas unless you do this, so I have been doing it and my dogs stand there looking at me like I"m nuts.....oh well guess I am.

Has anyone tried Singulair for post nasal drainage problem? I have a doctor friend who gave me a month supply as samples and presbribed me with this medication. I have taken it for over a week. It seems like it works, but I will wait a longer before I jump into conclusion. It apperantly opened up my airway, but not sure whether it will cure all symptons or not.  
Hi Guys,

Have anyone tried using Herbs, Fenugreek works for mucus membranes, my phlegm feels better after drinking it as a tea. I use euphrasia for my itchy/dry watery eyes and since then they stoped doing that......

I am still searching for plantago (for sinusitis), but can't find it except to be ordered online.
Thanks and Regards,
FWK
Yes I have tried herbs and vitamins, but it hasn't helped me much. I don't have the itchy, dry eyes but the mucus in my throat is just unreal. I guess I could get me some Fenugreek, and give it a shot. Anything is worth trying. Thanks for the advice.
Mark, how is the sinulair working now? I do believe it is some sort of blockage in my sinus cavities that is creating this problem, but what to do about it, I'm not sure.
Thanks.

Fenugreek works well, I drink two cups of it as a tea, I buy it as capsuls and put powder in capsule in cup as tea.....smells good but taste is ok nothing special......

I am gonna see my Dr. again, everyone tells me I need antibiotics so will tell him to prescribe some.....and also ask him about the herb plantago (used mainly for sinusitis and sense problems).

Good Luck and Regards,
FWK
I have been on Singulair for a few weeks now and felt reduction in my mucus secretion. I used to have a fair amount of dried mucus accumulated near the end of my nostrils and have to use my fingers to remove it several times a day. Now I don't have that mount anymore. My airway is open better so I can breath normally. I also noticed reduction in food particles caught in my back throat. When that happened, the situation got worse and mucus secretion went haywire because the body thought a foreign object is attacking. I still have a feeling that something in my swallowing path when I try to swallow my saliva while actually there is only little mucus if I try to expel something. I guess that might be my habit to try cough out or expel anything. However sometimes after I get out the little mucus my feeling is still there, so I think that might not be the issue. I just try to get used to it when I swallow my saliva. I will try Singulair a little longer before I want to conclude this case. What is your key problem, excessive mucus or some feeling that you have something in back of your throat?
Well like I said, I went to bed one night and woke up with the feeling of something stuck in my throat, then after awhile I could cough up thick, clear, sticky mucus?? I have never figured it out. I have been told it's GERD, but meds didn't help it, but it's horrible. It's always there, and when I drink a pop or eat food it gets worse, and I too get the food particles stuck in my throat. If I drink something red, then when I spit, it's red, if something is blue, then it's blue........it is just crazy. I have had test after test, nobody can figure it out. I constantly have papertowels wherever I go now, kleenex do nothing for me. The only thing I can compare to this is my dog....she is a Bloodhound and they drool, and it's horrible sticky clear saliva, well I don't drool but what's in my throat is just the same thing as her drool. Crazy, huh? I can't figure out why a doctor can't figure it out. I swear I think it's all due to sinus.
It's not GERD unless you had heart burn or burp a lot which is like acid reflux. I have taken Aciphex and Nexium for acid reflux, but none of them helped with my mucus. I have taken allegy shots for two years. No good. I have also taken Claritine when it was prescription and Allegra. They didn't help. So I was hopeless. I have seen people who have sinus but no excessive mucus in back throat. Then I tried to figure out why I had so much mucus accumulated in my back throat. I guess that is caused by several things. One is that mucus secretion is abnormal in my sinus. Secondly large amount mucus secretion in my back throat. The first cause is sinus problem. Maybe it is because mucus gland or certain homone has changed. Once you have over supply of mucus running through your airway down to throat, it tends to get thicker and flow of mucus abstructed. That's why you will have dried mucus accumulated in your airway. Once mucus gets dry and stuck in you airway, mucus lining secretes even more mucus because dried mucus irritates mucus lining. So this has to be treated. Singulair works pretty good on me and it reduces mucus secretion from top down. That's why my nostrils are cleaner and less dried mucus is found. This in return further reduces mucus amount. The other cause is stuck food particles in the back throat, like I said, if you have more mucus flown down from upper sinus, food particles tends to get stuck in the back throat. After mucus is improved, you have less food particles trapped in there. However you still have to be careful when you eat and try to clean food partilces in back throat, you might see less mucus in your airway and back throat.
Hi Mark888,

I keep getting confused, I think my phlegm is alwasy stuck on the 'thing' between the two tonsils, it is alwasy sticky/watery and can feel it when i roll my tongue backwards. Fenugreek works well with me...but will go to Dr. for antibiotics.

Also there is nothing in my nose anymore, just pressure in frontal sinus, and upper jaw cacking when that happens.......I think antibiotics are my first line of things to try now.
Thanks a lot and Regards,
FWK
Everyone's sympton can be different. Unless you have infection, antibiotics may not help improve your symptons. If you got greenish mucus, you might have infection. If your mucus is clear, chances are there isn't any infection. Doctors are not supposed to prescribe antibiotics for someone without positive lab report I guess. Otherwise it's not a proper practice.  
Hi Mark,

Ya I think the NHS here doesn't prescribe antibiotics except directly form an ENT specialist, will see.

I have green phlegm alwasy in morning and maybe late at night, but I still get head pressure and crack my upper jaw....dunno, I am trying to change my diet slowly (no milk, chocolate, alcohol for weeks now)...dairy product have to wait......
Thanks a lot for your help,
FWK
I tend to agree with you about the GERD. I never did buy into that one, but the doctor's swear it's also called "silent" reflux where you have none of the regular symptoms at all. Nevertheless meds didn't work. Do you think I should ask for a perscription of singluair?? I do not want to have this **** for the rest of my life. I also got on line last night and ordered that SInus Wars. I thought you had tried it and said it worked pretty good, so I spent $40.00 bucks on it. I thought "well it's worth a try" I was going to wait until after the first of the year to see a doctor because I just don't have much money for my son for Christmas, but don't know if I can do it. I always convince myself it's something serious and I'd better get in.
Gotta get to work thanks to all of you for listening and putting up with me.
Everyone of us has been trying to find a cure for this stubban sympton. I don't know if there is one single medicine that can help all of us. I recently got on Singulair and have been on it for 3 weeks. I did notice reduction in my mucus secretion. I still have to wait a little longer before drawing conclusion. However Singulair is very expensive if insurance doesn't pay.
After having closely observed my sinus related sympton, I can safely say that Singulair has been effective on this problem (at least on me). I am now have less mucus accumulated in my back throat and recent season change has not affect my sympton. I used to have infection and bleeding nose on every season change (from warm to cold). This time I didn't notice any change in my sinus. I hope that was effect of taking that drug. I have been off daily milk intake since last Friday because my doctor said milk has homones which may cause excessive mucus. He suggests organic milk for daily intake because of being free of homones. I hope you can try to talk to your doctor and take some Singulair to reduce the sympton. If good things happen, it will further prove the effect of this drug and we will have a strong case.
Well I've already emailed my doctor and requested some singulair.Has it taken it away?? How long did you have this problem for?? I am really curious about how it has worked for you. It gives me hope there is something out there. Have you tried other allergy medicines or sinus meds in the past?? Let me know the low down.
I gotta go to work
Dakota
Great, Ask for some samples first. I have been on this medication for about 4 weeks. I started to see difference right around 3 weeks. The reason it takes 3 weeks I think is that after allergy treatment, the swellown tissues have to heal before you feel the different. The problems we have are not just mucus, but also swallown mucus lining. It takes sometime before it can heal itself. I have had this problems for about 40 years since my late teen. It got worse in recent few years due to my age I guess. I have been on everything you can think of except surgery, such as Allegra, Claritin, Nexuim, Aciphex, Allergy shots for two years, many nasal sprays and etc. Never had any luck with any one or combination of a few. THEY JUST DIDN'T WORK. I was so hopless and thought my life was of low quality due to this untreatable problem. I bothers me all time even in sleep, I could wake up because of mucus' abstructing my airway. NO HOPE, AND NO CURE. Finally I talked to my doctor friend about my problem, he recommended Singulair and Veramyst. I tried both and discontinued Veramyst a few days later due to the fact it's a kind of steroids. After 3 weeks on Singulair, my sympton was greatly improved. Then I got on internet and tried to find how that worked for me. I know everyone of us has been looking for a treatment that works and I also realize it's hard if it not possible. I am wondering why those ENT doctors have no idea how this drug works on us. I guess they are just whole buch of mediocre ones. My doctor friend is a family doctor, and he can explain how the drug can work on me and what active ingridients work. I cut and paste this below, so you can understand why and how it works. I wish I could start to take Singulair when it came out ten years ago. It would have made difference in my life.

------So, how do you know if Singulair is right for you?

Pretty much, based on my research, Singulair has proven effective for anyone with Allergic Rhinitis (hay fever) and asthma/allergies. For the most part, these two tend to go hand in hand.

Thus, if doctors could somehow prevent allergies, they could control asthma.

Finally, in 1998, after spending millions of dollars and 63 years studying leukotrines and working on a way to block their release, Singulair was approved for use by the FDA.

Singulair has an active ingredient in it called Montelukast sodium, which blocks the action of leukotrien, thus preventing allergies, and preventing bronchospasm caused by allergies, and, in turn, preventing asthma.

So lets back up a bit. What the heck are Leukotrienes? Better yet, what causes allergies in the first place?

When our bodies sense a foreign substance that might cause harm has entered the body, such as a bacteria or virus, it releases chemicals to attack the foreign substance. This is the bodies normal immunologic response to prevent and fight diseases. This is a good response by our immune system.

However, in some people, those of us who are prone to allergies, our immune system responds to harmful things, but also things that are relatively harmless, and generally cause no reaction in people who do not have allergies. In essence, with allergies, our body is fighting itself, and this is bad.

These harmless things that cause allergies are called allergens. Some common allergens are pollens released from trees, mold, hay, grass, dander, and food.

For the most part, if something causes us to have an allergic response, or asthma, we try to identify our triggers, in this case allergens, and avoid them. If you only have one allergen it might be easy to avoid, but for us asthmatics who are allergic to a ton of things, the only way to avoid all of them is to live in a bubble.

Now we all know that's not possible, or at least extremely difficult.

To give you an idea of the allergy process, I'll provide here a pithy example.

Say you are prone to allergies and breathe in a molecule of pollen. Your body fails to recognize it as harmless, and releases a chemical called pollen IgE antibody that binds to mast cells.

Now, at this point, nothing really happens, but the next time you are exposed to pollen, the IgE primed mast cell releases chemical mediators which attach to specific cells in the body causing inflammation.

Leukotreins are one type of chemical mediator which is responsible for inflammation, and are the culprits responsible for causing bronchoconstriction (tightening of the muscles around the airways) and swelling of the airways.

Thus, if we could find a way to block the release of these leukotriens, we could stop, or greatly diminish, an allergy attack, and thus an asthma attack.

And that's where Singulair comes into play. It blocks the release of leukotreins.

It has been proven effective for the management of allergies in asthma, and allergic rhinitis. It usually takes 3-7 days to start working, so, unlike antihistamines, it does not have an immediate effect, and must be taken on a regular basis (every day) to be effective.

In other words, even if you have no symptoms, you should never stop taking this medicine, unless otherwise prescribed by your doctor.

Singulair has not been proven effective as treatment of itchy eyes, itchy nose, sneezing and runny nose. If these symptoms continue to be problems for you, you might want to try an antihistamine, which can be purchased over the counter.

There is one other use for Singulair, and that is for people who have excercise induced asthma.

According to Health Library at CNN.com, "Because exercise-induced asthma has the same symptoms and results from the same airway reaction involved in regular asthma, standard asthma medications can control it."

Patients who experience excercise induced asthma but don't necessarily have a problem with allergins, and do not already take the medicine on a daily basis can take the medicine two hours prior to excersising, but not again for 24 hours thereafter.

Some patients have managed to control their asthma, excersise induced asthma and/or allergic rhinitis with the use of Singulair alone. However, some asthmatics may need other prophylactic therapies, such as Chromolyn or Advair and an occasional use of a rescue medicine such as an Albuterol inhaler.

So there, in a nutshell, is everything you need to know about asthma related allergies and singulair.------
Thanks for all the info. I too feel a lot like you did in that my life has been changed due to this stuff, and not for the better. If I didn't HAVE to work, I'd probably just stay home alone and away from people, and believe me that was never me in the past. I am so glad you found something that works, not sure what i will do. I emailed my doctor and requested Singulair, but it is not in our "insurance" so therefore would be too expensive for me to buy on a regular basis. He said he had some samples of it he could give me, but I doubt he has enough for 3 weeks......I'll ask him for a perscription and take it to Walgreen's, sometimes they help out. I have to try it. If it works I'd be thrilled. So when you started to take it, you didn't know for sure until after 3 weeks?? I think I will copy and paste this to my doctor about Singulair and see what he thinks, although I find him to be very negative. He already said the reason he had samples is one of his patients gave it to him because it didn't work for him.Same doctor that told me "I've never seen anything like this in all my years" which made me leave crying.
Thanks Mark, I'll let ya know what happens.
Sandy
Thanks for referring me here. It is right up my alley, unfortunately.  For those here, I have tried: deviated septum surgery, allergy shots. claritin, allegra, benadryl, musonex, toothpastes without  ammonium lauryl sulfate.  I use Sinumed saline nose rinse everyday, I have a cat and two dogs, but have the same symptoms when I am visiting my family overseas for weeks with no animals. I live Austin now, but lived right by the ocean in San Diego, same thing. I have tried herbal teas that taste gross, oregano oil, Alkanol, pineapple juice, have tried to avoid dairy (apparently, it is a myth that it increases mucus), avoided wheat, corn, soya...Nothing works. I just got a humidifier today because my nose is so dry and throat hurts, and yet I just try to swallow and swallow all day and can't open my throat passage. I also mentioned in another post that I have a constant dry, sticky mouth which make me not want to talk to people. It is worse with alcohol and caffeine, as expected, but not much better with just water, sugar -free candies or any of the other suggested things. So, I might as well enjoy the wine and coffee. Sigh. It is so weird having this but not being able to explain it to my husband out of embarrassment. Oh, I forgot to mention, barium swallow was normal and  I was diagnose with GERD. I have tried medications, but none change these symptoms.  

I hope the humidifier will help somewhat. I am going to definitely look into Singulair,
I too have tried everything. I think the doctor's are all telling us the same thing, that it is GERD. Isn't it funny how there are NO commercial's on it, or NO medicine for "GERD" it might say acid reflux or heartburn but never this GERD. We have all been diagnosed with it, tried the meds and nothing. Scaredspeaker, you must being doing better than me, cuz at least you're married, I would drive a man right out with constant throat clearing. I have tried all meds and herbs you've tried, must be reading the same stuff on the internet.
Well, let's hope Singulair will help us.......
I had to postpone my exam with the VA because my daughter was here from Maryland for just that one day.  I'm rescheduled for Jan 2.  However, I doubt that they will tell me anything new.

I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't all the preservatives and other additives in our foods that causes this condition and that we are somehow more susceptible to them than others.
If you have excessive mucus and it's caused by allergy and excessive releasing of leukotrines, I think Singulair is very effective and it's the only medication that will work. Due to inflamation (inflammation) in our airway caused by allergy, Singulair can reduce the cell reaction and therefore reduce the inflamation (inflammation) and you can breath better and have less mucus. By the way, my doctor freind used to be a researcher before he became a family doctor. He said any other medication which is used to fight histamine won't work because they are two different causes. That's why none of the medications I previously took ever worked on me. I am glad that I finally found something that works.
Many ENT doctors are only interested in patients surgery. If they find you are not a patient in need of surgery, they don't treat your disease seriously. They even don't think you have any problems. Many of them are not knowledgable about treatment of your sympton and send you to a gastroenterologist for GERD. I think before you want to be treated for GERD, you should try allergy treatment for leukotreines release. If it doesn't work, you can try GERD treatment. Antihistamines treatment is only for those who have running nose, watery eyes, sneezing, etc. Like me, I don't have these symptons, but excessive mucus and constant need of clearing my thoat, idicating inflamation (inflammation) in my thoat caused by mast cell acting up. I guess that's why Singulair is effective in reducting or blocking leukotreines from releasing. That's my logical thinking about how this drug works.
Went and got my samples of Singulair. I take one at night before bed?? that's what it says anyway. I think there is only about 20 pills in that bottle.Hopefully that will good enough to tell if it will work or not. At only one a day in the evening, I'm crossing my fingers.
Our ENT doctors are horrible and mean. I went to 3 of them in my insurance and they were horrible and awful to me. They basically said "you have nothing wrong, it's just that you're getting old"
I will keep everyone posted on my singulair experience:)
Dakota/Sandy
^Good for you. Yes, take one 10 mg dose every evening. As I am writing, I feel so configent that the drug works well on me and my sympton improves every day. It's been about 4 weeks now since I started the drug. I guess inflamation (inflammation) in my airway has been reduced greatly so that's why I am not feeling in need of clearing my throat. I guess I will have to take the drug for the rest of my life until some new treatment comes out. Hope gene research will bring new treatment for allergy. For now the drug is wonderful.
I have an appt. with my allergist today and I am going to try and get me some of that stuff! But, not to be negative, but I would be very surprised if it works..The humidifier helps a llittle. I don't have such a hard time swallowing, which is good.

in regards to the ENTs, I don't think it is true, unless you have a bad ENT, of course. I think the problem is that all these symptoms have obvious cures and when they don't work, they run out of ideas. Doctors are only glorified mechanics, when they run out of tools, they usually run out of ideas. THis is not true for all doctors, naturally, but a fair share scrape through med school by just memorizing paradigms.  THere aren't too many doctors like House out there :)

I wasn't saying all ENT are ignorant, but you can hardly find a doctor who is willing to listen to your description of your problem for over 5 - 10 minutes if he/she doesn't find anything wrong. I don't think they rethink your case after they see you. Usually they have patients lined up in the different rooms in the office. Time is essential for them at work. Yes, they do a good job in surgery, but what if a patient doesn't need a surgery? My doctor friend was on the phone with me for over 30 minutes to discuss my problem and then recommended the medication, plus he was a researcher at Yale. He digs into problems for answers. I mean if you meet someone like his, you would have suffered less and maybe avoid unnecessary surgeries.
I'm thinking maybe 'scaredspeaker" has a good ENT, whereas I haven't been so lucky. I find the ones that only give 5-10 minutes of time too,  but mine have been down right mean. I'm glad one of us has had a good experience with them:) otherwise I would have to really wonder, which I do anyway......
The excess mucus in your throat, was it really sticky too? I"m wondering if singulair might help with that as well. I've taken it two nights now, with no difference:( although I'm wanting it to work so bad that I"m being impatient.....
Dakotawinks
Yes, that was one of my major problems. The mucus was so sticky that it was hard to swallow or spit out. I needed to constantly clear my throat. I guess Singulair will help stop leukotriene which is reaction of allergy and responsible for inflamation (inflammation). I also think that sticky mucus is the result of allergy, and inflamation (inflammation) makes you feel you want to constantly clear your throat. Below is the link to an ENT web site. You can read about Singulair. It's one of the kind medication in treating allergy caused by leukotriene. Hope it helps.  http://homepage.mac.com/changcy/allergymeds.htm#ns  
Well, my allergist gave my 7 days of singulair samples, so Dakota and I will have to keep people updated on how it goes. How much are you taking, Dakota?  I see that mark takes 10mg, this is also what my allergist said, but on the directions it says take 5 for allergy and 10 for asthma. I hate overmedicating myself (says the girl that tries everything...)  I am also going to do the food allergy diet for real. My allergist has tried to get me to do it in the past, and I tried, but not 100%. After this weekend, I will try again. All this could be a food allergy, after all. The diet is so awful, though. You can barely eat anything for 7 days (not even coffee!), and then slowly add it back in.  
^Glad you got some samples. My guess is food allergy can be one of the courses. I think that Singulair blocks leukotriene (if that causes your problem) that is the leading cause to have inflamation (inflammation) and allergy reaction. It takes about 3 weeks for your body to heal itself from inflamation (inflammation).
I got my ENT to prescribe Singulair, but found out it was too expensive for me to pay for myself. ($254.00) at Walmart for a 60 day supply.  I'm having them call it in to the VA to see if they will approve it.
Well Ed, that does it for me then. After my samples I will not be able to get Singulair even if it works. I can't pay out $254.00 for it. i wonder what else they make that is similair to it or generic...........I only have enough for 3 weeks maybe 4 at one a day. My bottle says one a day of 10mg in the evening, that's what I'm doing. I did notice you could take more for allergy relief? Not sure anything will help this sticky feeling i have....it is horrible. See Mark?? You got all of us trying this stuff, hope if works. I will have to find out what medicine my insurance has that compares to it.
I have taken it for two days (Singulair) and have not noticed anything yet. I am staying at my inlaws and couldn't breathe at all last nigh. But, I know it takes at least a few days to work.  I am so glad that I have a good insurance program, I really, really feel for Dakota and edaho. I work at a state university, and state level employees generally have good benefits.  This country needs such an overhaul of our ridiculous, bloated health care system. Just a little fact: CEOs of companies obviously get paid more than the workers beneath them. I can't remember the exact numbers, but In the UK, the ratio of CEOs salary to an average employee in the same company is abut 35:1. MOst other countries are more around 5:1. The next highest is the US, where it is 450:1!   This is something that absolutely needs to be fixed!  No wonder our premiums are so high and we don't get anything for them. It all goes to the damn CEOs!
Er Chen Wan (Two Old Valuable Herbs Pills)

Hey Everyone,
I'm new to this site and am finding it very helpful.  I understand what you mean about not having good insurance.  I find acupuncture and chinese herbs to be a lot cheaper.  We have tons of alergens in the air down hear in central Texas, so I suffer from thick mucous on occasion.  I've taken Er Chen Wan in the past and it seemed to help.  Just  a few bucks for a bottle of pills, and you don't need a prescription.  Two other tips: drink LOTS of water which can help thin it out, and try the netty pot (salt water through the sinuses).  I've posted some info about Er Chen Wan below.  Good luck!

What does Er Chen Wan do?

Er Chen Wa is a Chinese medicinal formula that is commonly utilized when a patient is suffering from a cough that produces clear or white phlegm. It has also been considered especially helpful and is prescribed in China for excess phlegm, dampness in the lungs, chest congestion, and cough with phlegm that is damp, difficult and "sticky" to expel. Other uses are in the treatment of p.o. digestion with bloating, nausea, dizziness, or vomiting. It has been prescribed in the treatment of chronic bronchitis, emphysema, and similar lung disorders.
Sorry to be a wet blanket, but be skeptical about herbs, but obviously some work. Be sure to make sure that they will not interact with something else you may be taking.  Secondly, hate to say it, but there are not studies (well-done studies, that is) that show a positive effect for acupuncture, for anything. You may have a temporary clearing of the sinuses when a needle  is placed there, I did, but it would be the same if that area was massages. I used to go to a chiropractor and believed in some of these therapies, but I have done a lot of research on them and now know that they don't actually work beyond a placebo effect.  Also, it may seem that acupuncture  is cheaper, but is it really. They wanted me to go back once or twice a week at $65 a pop, and you have to go a lot. So, I am not sure spending that money on a therapy, that has never been shown to work, is worth it.   If you want to know more, I can send you to some good sites where medical doctors explain the pitfalls of the studies that have been done. I have a PhD in a scientific discipline so I know how to constructs a good study, but some of these sites are helpful to me because designing mdical studies are a little different then what I do.

As for the singulair, I was taking my dose yesterday and I noticed that they taste really good, then I realized that I was supposed to be chewing them! They gave me the pediatrician samples, which is fine as it is still the right dose, but now I don't know if the effect would have been better if I had chewed them :(

Well so far I haven't noticed any difference since starting my Singulair. Mark, did you notice any difference the first week? I am on day 5 and so far nothing.......I'm worried it won't work on me. When did you start to see or notice a difference? I don't know, I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't......I want something to work, but since Singulair isn't on my insurance plan I wonder what I would do if it DID work. Do they have a generic subsitute? Scaredspeaker have you noticed that if you cry, your throat gets even worse? I've been at the hospital all day today. My dad in surgery and we had some "moments" and I have noticed that if I cry, it affects my throat now......I hate this stuff.
Anyway, I agree about Chinese herbs and acupuncture. I was paying $70.00 a week and they kept wanting me to come back and it wasn't working for me.  He also gave me some pills to take and they didn't work on me either.
Dakota
Hi Dakota

There is no generic substitute for Singulair according to the pharmacist I spoke to.  

I'm going to try Sudafed again.  I had it for a short time and it seemed to help a bit, but the VA did not refill my prescription even after several requests.  It does not require a prescription, but you have to sign for it at a pharmacy.  You will not find it on the shelves of the drug department.

One thing I have found that helps thin out the mucous in my sinuses is Afrin nasal spray.   This helps by letting me blow my nose to clear the sinuses instesd of letting the thick mucous go down my throat and lodge there. Remembering to use it often enough is the problem for me.

The strange thing about all this is I do not usually feel the mucous slide down my throat.  When I do feel it I can cough it out easily.   I can be fine for hours, then suddenly my throat is all filled with this junk and I spend about ten to fifteen minutes hacking it up. I was eating a salad the other day and suddenly my throat was all filled with this gunk and it started my eyes watering and my sinuses dripping. The roughage of the salad did not push it down as one would think it should.

I wonder if this mucous does not actually originate in the throat instead of the sinuses.  That's sure the way it seems, but I have not been able to find any information to confirm it.
Most of you are saying "tried everything and nothing works" and "spent lots of money".
Well this pranayam- breathing techniques will help all.Start doing it and you will notice a difference in days.Drink warm water.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after 1 minute.
Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for upto 15 minutes twice a day.(Max 60 min/day) Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

Anulom Vilom -  Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day(maximum 60 minutes in one day).
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep breaths into the lungs.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 15 times
Sounds just like me with the salad. I have that happen with such things as salads, cookies, crackers and lighter type of things. Maybe I'll try sudafed too, is there a certain type to get? I am still going to try the singulair until it runs out, but so far I've had no change, but it hasn't been a week yet. I noticed the directions even said to give it a week to a month, so I'm going to finish it, just wish I'd see some difference. I also do not feel any postnasal drip, it's just constantly there. I have no clue if it's coming from lungs or sinus. With all the tests I've had I would think we'd be able to figure that much out.
Anyway guess we could try this breathing technique........
Dakota
Sorry that I haven't posted anything for a few days due to holiday travel. Well, I would like to give some input to clarify a couple of things based on my knowledge. There are two different chemicals due to allegy: leukotiene and histamine. If you have sneezing, running nose and mucus, your sympton might be caused by releasing of histamine. Singulair doesn't treat this. If you don't have above said symton, you just have thick mucus in your throat or airway, your sympton might be caused by releasing of leukotiene. Singulair is one of the kind to treat this sympton. There is no substitute or general brand at this time. I have taken all other medications. None of them worked until I started on Singulair. It reduced my sympton and mucus quantity. I think it works on me. I have popping ear which was caused by long term chronical sinus symton I guess. I feel like when I am on air plane in the air. I need to get this treated. The reason you need to take Singulair for about a few weeks is that it takes time for inflamation (inflammation) to go away. Allergy causes inflamation (inflammation) in your airway. I hope this helps. I don't want to post too much so you don't get the right information. Post any questions you may have.
Thanks for the info, Mark. I am on day 4 and maybe have noticed. But, not anything life changing. But, then again, it is so much easier to note the presence of something rather than the absence. I am beginning to think a lot of it is GERD related. I start my crazy allergen free diet tomorrow. That should be interesting. If anyone wants a copy of it to try, let me know.  Also, Afrin is not a good idea. It should only be used for temporary decongestion as it has a rebound effect. Sudafed, or any decongestant, may thicken the mucus instead of removing it. I have tried decongestants and thought that they work, temporarily, and then it gets worse.
If your sympton is caused by releasing of leukotriene and you see some improvement in your mucus secretion, you can use some nasal spray, such as Veramyst or other prescribed nasal sprays to totally eliminate extra mucus secretion which may be caused by histamine. Normal mucus secretion is still needed for moisturing your airway. Then you only need to clear your throat once or twice a day. If you are young, you may not need throat clearing. My current improvement includes no bleeding nose upon seanon change (from warm to cold), less dried crust, no imflamation in my throat (I can feel it when swallowing saliva), and totally normal mucus secretion after adding Veramyst spray once a day. Like I said, I am working on treating my popping ears that is caused by long tern sinus due to allergy.  
I have noticed that my right ear feels like I have water in it, but I don't think I do. I'm wondering if it isn't sinus related too. Still waiting on the Singulair. Walgreens said they would work with me on insurance issues I have with Singulair, so if it works I can get a prescription and bring it to them. Guess it's still too soon to tell, but still have sticky mucus in throat. I do not have sneezing and watery eyes, more than anything it's my throat issues.
Dakota
You have the same symptons as I do. I feel like my ears popping and pressured from either inside or outside. Actually it's kind of sinus caused irritation in your ear part. I forgot its name, and will look for it. It won't get improved until your allergy gets treated. Will post some information tomorrow morning.
I copied and pasted the explaination of Eustachian Tube Dysfunction, but the pictures are lost. If you want to see pictures of ears, please click the link. Hope it helps.
http://homepage.mac.com/changcy/etd.htm

I think it's also a major problem in my allergy related treatment. Without this problem treated, I still feel uncomfortable.

Again if anyone feels improvement in your mucus in back throat after taking Singulair and still feel some mucus, I think that mucus is from upper airway. Nose spray can get rid of it. Don't use overcounter nose spray. They can be addictive.

"My Ear Feels Full or Makes Noises! (Eustachian Tube Dysfunction)
by Fauquier ENT Consultants • Last Modified 6/16/2008

Introduction (Click here to skip to nasal spray use)

Before going into an explanation of why there are occasions when the ear doesn't feel right (ear fullness, clogged ears) or makes unusual noises (ear crackling/popping), one must understand the anatomy of how the ear works when things are normal.

To the right is a diagram of a normal ear with structures labelled. The middle ear space (colored in with yellow) is an air-filled region of the ear that is cut-off from the outside world except for one passage called the eustachian tube which opens into the back of the nose (see picture or video). If the eustachian tube doesn't open normally, the middle ear space becomes isolated.

When the eustachian tube functions normally, every single time you swallow, yawn, blow your nose, etc, your ear "pops". This popping is when the eustachian tube opens transiently allowing air to pass from the middle ear to the back of the nose which is open to the environment.

Image is a modification of that found in Wikipedia under GNU Free Documentation License.

SO, why does my ear feel full sometimes?

Assuming there is no earwax present which could cause symptoms of ear fullness, for most people, the ear fullness is due to their inability to pop their ears easily (or, open up the eustachian tube). Why would this cause ear fullness? It's because there is a PRESSURE difference between the air pressure in the middle ear and the pressure outside across the eardrum. When there is a pressure difference, the eardrum either bulges outward (positive pressure) or bulges inward (negative pressure). Basically, when the eardrum bulges inward or outward, it creates a sensation of fullness for the person.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eardrum bulges inward when the pressure outside is greater than the pressure in the middle ear space (ie, occurs when a plane is landing or if you dive deep into water)... The first picture reveals a pressure of "30" outside the ear (remember, the ear canal is open to the outside) whereas the pressure is only "10" inside the ear. This will cause the eardrum to bulge inward until the pressure outside and inside the ear matches at "30."

Images are a modification of that found in Wikipedia under GNU Free Documentation License.

Continued

Eardrum bulges outward when the pressure outside is less than the pressure in the middle ear space (ie, occurs when a plane is taking off or if you drive up a tall mountain)... The situation is reverse from that above. With the middle ear pressure of "30" being more than the ouside pressure of "10,", the eardrum bulges outward until the pressure inside and outside matches at "10."

Normally, by popping your ears, the pressure difference will normalize (ie, no pressure can build up in a balloon if there is a hole) and the eardrum will go back into a neutral position. If the pressure difference is severe, the eardrum can bulge to the point it can pop like a balloon, a situation known as a perforated eardrum. Of note, people suffering predominantly from negative ear pressure are at risk of developing fluid in the middle ear which may lead to middle ear infections (otitis media) and hearing loss.

So, what would cause the eustachian tube to not open up properly? Well, something could be physically blocking the opening of the eustachian tube in the nose, most notably large adenoids (adenoids). In rare cases, it could even be a tumor. Endoscopy is required to evaluate for these possibilities. More commonly, the eustachian tube does not open properly due to inflammatory conditions, especially allergies, resulting in the tube becoming inflamed and swollen. That's why when people get a cold or allergies are bad, their ears also becomes affected. This condition is known as Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. Treatment is based on the underlying condition. If due to large adenoids (adenoids), adenoidectomy is the treatment. If due to Eustachian Tube Dysfunction, than treatment is with steroid nasal sprays for about 6 weeks along with Afrin for 3 days. These sprays are used differently than normal and instructions on the correct use can be found here. Throughout this time period, one must try to pop the ears 15-20 times per day (hourly) and also immediately after nasal spray use. Ear popping is done by pinching the nose and blowing gently (about the same amount of pressure as if one has mild constipation). Popping the ears in this manner, esp after nasal spray use helps to squeeze some of the medication into the eustachian tube.

More Videos on ENT Topics

Another maneuver that may help in popping the ear (at least in the short-term), is to place your index finger about 1/2 inch into your ear canal and press firmly towards the top and back of your head. While pressing in this manner, yawn as widely and openly as possible.

Occasionally, systemic steroids are prescribed. If these sprays don't work, than placement of a tube across the eardrum often helps resolve the symptoms. Tube placement is generally recommended if a patient with eustachian tube dysfunction is about to fly, otherwise he/she may experience a very painful ear squeeze.

If a patient has allergies or a sinus infection, these need to be addressed as well. Rarely, severe laryngopharyngeal reflux causes Eustachian Tube Dysfunction.

Obviously, ear drops would not work since such drops would remain in the ear canal as it can't cross the eardrum to reach the eustachian tube which is the culprit for the cause of the symptoms.

BEWARE!!! There are other reasons for ear fullness which is not as common including sudden sensorineural hearing loss, serous otitis media, Meniere's Disease, cochlear hydrops, endolymphatic hydrops, large tympanic membrane perforation, TMJ, etc. As such, one of the tests that needs to be performed before treatment is an audiogram.

So why does my ear sometimes make funny crackling & popping noises?

Earwax or even a piece of hair could be lying on top of the eardrum and when the eardrum vibrates, it may cause funny noises (just like a piece of string on a lightly beating drum). Obviously, treatment is by removal.

Eustachian Tube Dysfunction can also cause crackling/popping noises. Given the eustachian tube is lined with mucosa which is moist, sometimes the surface may become sticky from inflammation such that any movement whether it be an opening motion or sliding would cause crackling/popping noises. Again, treatment in this case is with steroids nasal sprays for a period of about 6 weeks.

TMJ or temporo-mandibular joint disorders can cause noises that seem like it is coming from the ear as well. The TMJ is located immediately in front of the ear and noises from this joint can reverberate and "echo" into the ear. Treatment for this can be found here.

The final possible cause of ear noises are spasms of the muscles found within your ear (stapedius or tensor tympani). Typically, the noise is described as "clicking" that is most definitely not rhythmic. It clicks in a random fashion about 1-2 times a second. This disorder is similar to eye twitches (blepharospasm) that afflict some people. Unfortunately, the only treatment is surgery.

Can't the eustachian tube be kept open to prevent Eustachian Tube Dysfunction?

As a matter of fact, there actually is a medical condtion known as Patulous Eustchian Tube which is just that... a eustachian tube that stays open all the time. However, this situation causes problems as well. People with Patulous Eustachian Tube suffer from symptoms including hearing themself breath in and out all the time as well as hearing themself talk in their head as if in a barrel. Symptoms may temporarily improve when bending down for a few seconds, but return soon thereafter. Unfortunately for sufferers of Patulous Eustachian Tube, there is no treatment that works very well unlike for Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. SSKI, premarin drops, and reserpine are some not totally effective treatments.

Perhaps the best treatment I've seen for Patulous Eustachian Tube is that provided by Dr. Dennis Poe at Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary in Boston, MA. He performs a minimally invasive endoscopic insertion of a tiny catheter into the eustachian tube. The catheter is just the right size that one can still pop ears easily to prevent eustachian tube dysfunction, but large enough so that one does not suffer the symptoms of patulous eustachian tube.

Wow, that's a lot. Were you once a doctor??? You seem very knowledgable on many things. I made yet another appointment for next week. I will go to a pulmonary specialist and if I have to another ENT. This stuff worries me and gets me feeling like something is wrong with me. I try not to go to the doctor's as they just tell me "they don't know" but I get worried about it and go in......again.
Gotta go to work, thanks for all the information.I'm glad I have people to talk to.
Dakota
Thank you for your comments. I wasn't a doctor, but I was an engineering major and used to look for answers for various things. My problem has followed me most of my adult life. Unfortunately no one could find an effective treatment for my sympton. I think only Singulair plus a nasal spray, currently I am using Veramyst, are effective. Recently I noticed that my cracking or popping ears are improved. I felt less pressure on my eardrum. Mostly I felt my entire sinus is not stuffed any more. Hope these medications will continue to work.
I hope they will continue to work for you as well. I am on day 8 and still haven't noticed a difference. Had you notice any improvement by day 8?? I don't feel anything from taking them, but like I said I noticed that the directions said it could take up to a month to notice so I will keep taking them. I wonder if I should get another prescription and then take for at least 2 months since Walgreens has said they would help me with the costs. Better get myself back to work:(
TTYL
Dakota
I think we all agree that what we suffer from is not GERD but it could easily be LPR
Here are a couple of links to good sources of information about Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (LPR) that I found.

(About .com) http://heartburn.about.com/od/gastrictractdisorders/a/whatis_LPR.htm
(Wikipedia) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laryngopharyngeal_Reflux

There is a lot more sites that describe LPR too.

In my own case I have been taking medicine for Acid Reflux for years.  A recent Cat Scan of my esophagus showed it to be herniated near the top, which my EMT said was the cause of my acid reflux.   My medication keeps the burning sensation away, but I don't know for sure if it just treats the symptom or the cause.
My improvement with Singulair started to show in about 3 weeks before I decided to get my prescribtion drugs to continue on. The major improvements were reduction of mucus in back throat and clear mucus secretion in dry weather. I used to have greenish yellow secretion in my nostrils and can spit out colored plegrim year round and particularly in dry weather. This infection is gone. So it did take some time to heal inflamation (inflammation) caused by allergy I guess. My remaining battle is to have my ear popping problem fixed. I think by then I will feel pretty normal. I guess Singulair works mostly on mucus problem in back throat. If you have mucus running down from sinus, I guess you need to use spray for allery in sinus. This way you can eliminate all excessive mucus secretion in your airway.
I will continue on it then and see if I have any improvement in 3 weeks. I honestly think mine is something else, and something really simple, only it's so obvious that nobody sees it?? I think this because for 47.5 years I didn't have this problem. i got the flu, and had an asthma attack (which always happened) and it came on almost the next day. Mine is so horrible, I would tell you all but I hate to be so gross. It is literally driving me up the wall. I hate to think that nobody else has this problem like I do, and since I never had it before I think it makes it worse feeling like there is no cure and i will have to stay this way.
Dakota
I've been taking Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride for two days and see a marked improvment.  This is Suphedrine, a generic brand of Sudefed I got at the Walmart pharmacy.  It's one you have to show ID and sign for.  I think that's because it can be used to make meth. It hasn't completely cleared up the mucous but has thinned it out so that I can easily cough it out with one gentle cough.  My throat only got clogged up once on the second day.

It's a real relief but I won't be able to stay on it too long at a time.  It has a warning to ask a doctor if you have heart disease, high blood pressure, or an enlarged prostrate.  I have all three.  My EMT did prescribe it, knowing my medical history, but I still must be cautious.  

The directions also say to ask you r doctor if you have Diabetes Thiroid Disease and  not to take it if you taking prescription monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MADI)

This is a very inexpensive drug.  Only $3.85 for 48 pills that you take every 4-6 hours.  I've actually not taken nearly that many, only 4 in two days.  I haven't taken any today and am still much better.  Hopefully it might help some of you too,

Thanks Ed, I"ll give it a shot, I bought some on Sunday but haven't tried them yet. I am on my way to the doctor's this morning, having some problems with all of it today, and my back is sore in my lung area so I'm worried.....talk to you all later and let ya know what's up.
Dakota
I have finally gained respite from the worst of my condition.  At first I attributed it to taking the Sudafed type drug.  However' I quit taking it after just for or five pills and I am still better.  Usually, any drug has to be taken continously for this type of problem,

I have been trying to test myself for allergies.  Most of my diet is so varied it would be hard to isolate any foods that I might have an allergic reaction to.   But there are three things that I drink everyday, besides water,  that I could test; coffee, milk, and orange juice.  

In trying to see if I had an allergy I discontinued all caffine for a while with no change.  Then I stopped all milk products, including cheese for a while, no change there either.  Then, about two days before I got the Sudafed I stopped drinking orange juice.  The timing of the two actions made me think this drug did the trick.  

But, now that I have had time to think back over the last two years, it was about then that I started drinking a glass of orange juice every morning.  And that's about when the problem began.  It seems more than coincidence that my symptoms began then and ended when I quit drinking it.

Do I have an allergy to oranges?  I don't think so.  I think it's in how the juice is manufactured. The fruit is pressed whole - along with any rotten or moldy fruit.  

Dr.Hulda Clark, Ph.D, N.D., in her sensational book, The Cure For All Diseases, warns against drinking any commercially prepared fruit juice.  She says that making juice yourself, the old fashioned way,  is much safer. It is the mold that she warns against.  I also saw somewhere on the Internet that mold can cause severe sinus problems.  It seems to be the case for me anyway.

I've always had over active sinuses and I'm back to what is normal for me, and there is still room for improvment, but it is a great relief from what I've suffered the last two years. I have no idea if mold has any bearing on any of your problems, but it's certainly worth looking into.  Hope you all find your cure too.
I think that's wonderful that you found a cure for your condition as well as Mark finding one......I on the other hand am still dealing with it all. Singulair did not work for me or Sudafed, so I'm back to square one.....I have a feeling that's where I will stay. I do not have a doctor that will help me with it. I feel as though I have no insurance ( I might as well not) all doctor's have sat there and basically told me it's in my head and there is nothing they can do about it. The last doctor I saw on Thursday did nothing and even returned my co pay and said "it's just the way you are now" he was not willing to help, and I have found that to be all of the ones I have seen. I don't know if they wrote something about me on the computer and they all sit there and read  what other's have written because after that, they pretty much refuse to help. I am going to try to get an appointment with National Jewish here in Denver. I don't know if I'm dealing with respiratory problems or sinus problems, but I need to do something....
Dakota
I know how you feel.  When doctors don't have the answer for you they feel inadequate and pass it off as something psychosomatic. Maybe if you took them a cup of the mucus they might see it is real. Yuck.  Perhaps having them get a lab analasis of the mucus would give some insight into its reason for being there.  Is there any source of mold or mildew either in your food or enviroment that you might be breathing?

I sure hope you find a cure for your condition too.   Let me know if you make any progress.

Ed
After almost two months on Singulair for mucus problem, I can say that my infection caused by allergy is gone. I don't have greenish yellow discharge found in my sinus or throat any more. I think inflamation (inflammation) caused by allergy is gone also. I don't feel food particles stuck in my back throat. Now in dry weather, I spray saline solution in my nostrils a few times a day. I feel much better and my airway is cleaner.
I used Singulair for nearly 3 weeks and didn't notice anything. I ran out of pills too. Do you think I gave it a fair shot? I think it's great that you and Ed have found a solution to your problems. I wish I had.
Dakota
This sounds like LPR to me, laryngopharangeal reflux.  I don't have a deviated septum, but I was told I have LPR.  In order to feel better, you have to make major lifestyle changes right away.  You need to take off excess weight, eliminate acidic, fatty good chocolate, coffee, etc and take a proton pump inhibitor like omeprazole to lessen stomach acid.  Good luck.
As far as I know there are two causes of excessive mucus secretion: leukotriene and histamine. If your sympton is caused by leukotriene, Singulair is the only medication for that. If your sympton is caused by histamine, other medication, such as Allegra or Claritin D might work for you. If you are not sure, you might take two as combination and then watch for changes in your sympton. I think in either senario inflamation (inflammation) is a common sympton. It doesn't take time to build it; but it takes time for it go away. I am not sure if Singulair is right for you, but it helped me with my sympton. Singulair must work or it won't be in the market for that price. It's about $4/tablet.
No I believe that Singulair works, like you said "it wouldn't cost so much" and they wouldn't have all the advertisements...I could ask my doctor for a prescription of it and if I can find a place to sell it to me at a good cost I could try it with Zantac or Clariton. I think somehow I have a blockage......I've said it all along. The last doctor that threw me out of his office did say "have you seen your sinus? They are all blocked and full of goop" whereas I had other doctor's say "oh, your sinus aren't bad" so WHO THE HELL KNOWS.....it is depressing to think I'll have to stay this way forever and I have nobody to go to...:(
Dakota
I imagine these doctors have all taken a culture from you, right? Just to rule out any infection. I, too, am so torn between GERD or allergy. It is so hard to figure out which is which. I feel like taking GERD medicine (I am taking omeprazole) helps a little, at least with excessive swallowing. But, it can't be the only thing going one. I know I have really small nasal cavities, and I have had surgery for deviated septum, but it didn't help. This seems to be the common response for people who get this surgery.  I have taken all kinds of allergy meds, none seem to help. I need to get more samples of Singulair, though. An allergy to food (or cigarette smoke, sorry, but that could be really making things worse for you!), may also be the cause, as I mentioned earlier. Unfortunately, I did a 4 days of the elimination diet, and I actually felt like I could breathe, but then I got a cold and have had it ever since. The diet ***** and is really hard to do, and now I have to do it again. But, I do suggest trying it. You really have to eliminate everything at once, though. You can't just cut out one thing at a time, unless you are really lucky. I can send you the diet if you are interested. It does suck, though. I got so sick of the stuff I could eat, that I don't know if I can ever eat it again!
Hi, thought you fell off the face of the earth. I quit smoking 6 months ago, and haven't smoked since and nothing is different and "no" the doctor's said they "don't take cultures" only if it is strep throat. I truely have no doctors. The last time I went the doctor sat and read to me what "other" doctor's said they had tried on me. I said "I didn't pay $50.00 to come in here and listen to you read to me what I already know, then I said (and this might have done it for me) but I said you are going to get paid if I'm here or not, so why not help me out?" and he stood up and didn't say a word, and came back with a piece of paper to take to the front counter to get my money back, and that was that. I can ONLY imagine what he wrote about me on the computer for the NEXT doctor to read, so with that in mind, I probably have to switch insurance companies or just live with it and EVERYTHING else I ever get. They sooo hate me there, and I really don't get it. There is nothing there to suggest I jusst make things up. I've had this insurance for 20 years and if they looked at that and saw that I had only gone in when I had check ups or had the flu then maybe they would think twice, but since I have gone a bunch since I've had this, I think they feel what has been done is ALL that can be done. So I've been "black balled" and I don't get it. I wasn't mean until I started having doctors just sit there and refuse to help me. oh well........
Sometimes I really think is I'm allergic to my dogs. I mean actually I went and had tests done and "yes" I was allergic to dog and cat. Now....my whole life I've had pets, but this getting old ***** and now I'm allergic. I think that could be it. I can't afford the shots. They said they want a $50.00 co-pay every time I get a shot and for the first 6 months I would have to have AT LEAST one a week maybe even two. So insurance really ***** for that.
Better quit talking your ear off.....I'm going to try for an appointment at National Jewish Hospital....
Dakota
Hi guys,

I am fully okay now, I went to Dr. and he did a CT scan and drained my infected nostril.
He gave me an antibiotic (forgot the name) and 2 other medicines and after taht I never got the pressure or phlegm.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Take care.
FWK
I was just checking  to see how you were doing.  It sounds like nothing has improved for you.  I sure wish it would.  

My mucous comes back periodically and I take Sudafed and Afrin nose spray a couple of times and it still relieves it.

I don't remember if you had seen a Naturpath or not.  I'm wondering what one of them would have to offer.  I think they have a better understnding of the interaction of different bodily systems than the medical profession does.

Have you thought about doing a detox?  I know that the toxins in our bodies from food preservatives, metal dental work, etc can cause unpredictable health problems.  I've been using detox foot pads because I've been having pains in my toes.  They sure seem to help that, as toxins supposedly settle in the lower extremities.  

I'm hoping that you will find relief soon

Ed
Hi Ed, nice to hear from you. I'm so glad you found the answers you needed I am going to have to go back to the doctor, but am dreading it and the response I get this time.
"yes" I have thought about trying to "detox" you have to have the money to get the stuff. Around here it's pretty expensive to strave yourself:)
Hope all is well with you. Check back from time to time. I miss talkin with you.
Dakota
Hi Dakota,

I got my detox footpads on eBay, quite cheaply.  Also, I've found out that the nasal spray prescribed by my EMT works better than the Afrin.  It's Flunisolide. Maybe it would help you too.  Mine is almost gone so I'll call and see if the ENT will renew the prescription.

Good luck with your doctor visit.
Ed
I came across this forum looking up ways to reduce the mucus in my throat. I believe the symptoms I have are very similar to what you describe Dakota, with the feeling of a ball of phlegm in your throat. Mine kind of feels like someone choking me at times.  I also got symptoms unexpectedly one day out of the blue. The odd symptoms were questioned by several  doctors with few answers. When doctors can't diagnose something, they often revert to seeing the patient as being dishonest, confused, or crazy.
I did eventually see an ENT, and received the answer that it was LPR, which has been mentioned in this discussion forum. I was somewhat relieved at first thinking that I would be able to correct this chronic problem that was taking over my life and leaving me with a feeling of not being able to focus on anything but the feeling.  So I took the antacid stuff fully believing I would be healed. After two months there was little change, and I didn't want to go back to the ENT with outrageous price I paid just for the one visit. So I started to look a little more seriously at the lifestyle changes that people with LPR need to evaluate. They seemed like simple lifestyle changes, but they are actually more drastic than I would have realized. There are several things I have cut out of my life that I never thought I would have to that have overall suppress the phlegm feeling in my throat. Mainly for me, avoiding chocolate, coffee, tomatoes, anything with citrus, gatorade, diet sugars (crystal light is the worst), exercising an hour before I eat, not eating before bed time, drinking a good amount of water but not during meals, etc. It takes a lot of will power.  Google LPR for more options.
I remember when I was first freaking out about the symptoms that I thought of it like a cold, something that would eventually go away and that would heal from. After two and a half years I have learned to approach it differently. It *****, but I am feeling more 'normal' and don't think about it as much as I first did.
I basically have had the same problem for several years now, mine altered between green mucus and white one with that annoying sensation of being stuck behind the tonsils. The doctors offered a surgery but I passed on that. Since then, Ive been to Ukraine and had a Doc take a look at it, after 2 minutes of examining she took a culture and the next day prescribed rinsing with Octenisept for staph  infection which produced the green mucus and tiny white balls of stink. I had to leave the next day and only now got the meds, and not enough of them..The staph infection, however was eliminated with the help of the rinsing and some antibiotics from Italy that my sisters Doc recommended. Now im left with the white annoying mucus which really began bothering me after Ive moved from NY to NC, not sure if its my diet or climate change :S
Ive been browsing these forums for quite a bit now and have tried many remedies suggested, one that worked well was PROPOLIS, my uncle as a bee keeper has real natural propolis all the time and it works miracles! and when mixed with gum, doesnt get stuck between teeth. No more mucus, during use all the stale mucus begins to thaw out and well, i can breathe again! Good luck everyone, I hope it works for you as well as it has for me.
I have been having the same problem for over 3 years now.  I tend to have the mucus stuck on my throat and have to cough so many times to clear my throat. When I swallow, the left side of my throat feels dry and sharp sting.  the other symptoms are feeling drowsey, light headed, blurry vision, and like you put it, the feeling of drinking beer.  The minute I get up in the morning I feel this way.  Later in the day, I start to feel the mucus in my throat and and times I don't even have to cought it out, it just comes out with a slight throat clear. The mucus looks likes tapioca and sometimes dried flakes like with the mucus.  It is so weird.  I've gone through so many procedures, from catharization, barium enema, colonoscopy, throat scan, chest scan, and now scheduled for an endoscopy tomorrow.  I hope someone finds the problem.  I'm just so tired of feeling this way that if no one seems to make me feel better, I was just giving up and live my life like this.  
wycowgirl

I have described what you can do, to clear the mucus, in my post of November 29, 2008.
Do the kapalbhati first, twice a day, for 9 days, and let me know how you feel. The benefit is gradual, so allow weeks.
I have had thick mucus in my throat and lungs for several  years.  A pulmonologist who moved from Helena, MT to St Georges UT prescribed SSKI or liquid potassium iodide at doses of .3ml to .6ml 3 to 4 times a day.  This thins the mucus and allows me to cough it out.  I had contracted a pneumonia from having this stuff get infected.  This is the only thing that works for me.  I have to have my thyroid monitored and have not had a problem and I have been on this for 4 years. It is the only thing that works. When the mucus is minimal I take only .3ml X 3 but if I am getting a cold or sick and it gets worse I take .6ml X 4 daily.
I too have had the thick mucus that is difficult to cough up.  One thing that I find helps, but don't do it as often as I should is the sinus rinse that you can purchase OTC.  It clears the sinus out and does help although is only temporary and needs to be done 2 or 3 times a day to really be effective.  Is at least worth trying to see if their is relief from this problem.  Better than sinus surgery that's for sure.
I've barely been keeping control of excess mucous with several medications, generic brands of mucusinex, sudaced and claritin and Flunisolide nasal spray.  However, sometimes it really gets out of hand.

I came across a medical site that said that accupuncture could help sinus problems.  It said that weekly visits to a practitioner for about four months had good successes.  Who can afford that?

But it did give me the idea of searching to see is accupressure could help.  I found a site that gives accupressure points for nasal congestion and how long to maintain pressure on them.  I've tried it out for a week or so and it does seem to help.  Hopefully, it will help you too.  Anyway it does not cost anything to try.   Here is a link (or URL) to the site.  Good luck.

Ed
Oops, didn't get the URL in

http://www.acupressure.com/articles/colds_and_flu.htm
I HAVE HEARD THAT  ONE OF THE REASONS FOR EXCESS MUCUS COULD BE CAUSED BY MOUTH BACTERIA FROM  MAYBE THE TEETH . ONE TEST IS TO TRY A SMALL AMOUNT OF 3% HYDROGEN PEROXIDE AS A MOUTH WASH (DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK )AND IF IT FIZZES EXCESSIVELY YOU COULD HAVE EXCESSIVE MOUTH BACTERIA THAT COULD CAUSE MUCUS PROBLEMS. I REALLY DO NOT KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE. IF YOU TRY THIS PLEASE POST THE RESULTS. I STRESS I REALLY DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE OR NOT.
In my case, I have dentures.  And I use an anti-bacterial mouth rinse every day.  But I am a firm believer in using hydrogen peroxide.  Did you know that one swallow of 3% h2o2 will stop a migraine headache? Yucky, but ffective.
Just what everyone wants is another newbie with no answers, just symptoms very similar to the posts I've been reading fervently.
First thanks to all for interesting reading, and a little hope that I may not have head or neck cancer or the like. When you have these symptoms all kinds of things pop in you head when you go on the web searching desperately for answers.
I have been suffering with the hacking of mucous (which I actually think is produced from my lungs, and not post nasal drip. I suffer with it everyday without letup, and I never know when I will have a bad episode. I'm a vet too edaho, still working, bothering everybody on my floor due to my constant clearing of my throat till it spasms so much I have to leave the open area where I work and go outside due to the embarrassment of these attacks.
Not all the time but most of the time I also have a burning in my upper chest (last VA x-ray showed to be unremarkable). I also have swollen glands in my throat on either side of my neck that do not subside. Now my upper airway is so plugged I can't breathe through my nose at all, this started last week. Something odd too....I get this smell of car exhaust, no matter where I'm at if an attack hits I smell the exhaust??
The VA Pulmonologist saw me (many months ago) for less than 10 minutes and said you have GERD. I do not, and have not had heartburn; I'm not overweight (lost 100 lbs. by changing my diet), so I disagree with his findings, but I did take the meds he prescribed for acid reduction (he said I wouldn't notice a difference for at least 8 weeks; it's been 16 weeks, and no difference). I am scheduled for an ENT exam on the 8th of July with a barium swallow test the same day. I am so frustrated, and not knowing is truly maddening! So believe me when I say I sympathize, and empathize what you all are going through.
I pray we can get this solved, and get relief, oh how I wish. It truly is life altering.
Slight background on me...I am a Viet Nam Vet. 1969-1971, was exposed to Agent Orange and diagnosed with SLE (Lupus) in 1983 by a Rheumatologist at Baylor College of Medicine. I sometimes wonder if the Lupus isn't attacking me in a new and improved way?
I've had everything from skin rashes (discoid), kidney (luckily went into remission), muscle, and bone/joint involvement (which is current) most of my days.
I'm just really discouraged, especially since I have so many battles to fight already. Sorry don't mean to complain just frustrated.

I've also had disappointing results from the medical field.  A VA doctor who kept telling me that what I had was normal - without even examining me.  A civilian doctor who said one sinus was plugged and infected and referred me to an ENT surgeon who operaed on that and also repaired a deviated septum - twice!  All with no improvements.

Even though I do not have allergies, allergy medications do help somewhat.  Accupressure does help me somewhat too.  

Another thing I have noticed is that too much coffee seems to aggravate the problem.  I just returned from a trip overseas, where the coffee was terrible and I drank more water instead, which seemed to help too.  More hydration keeps the mucous thinner.  Coffee is a diaretic.

If you have burning in the chest you probably do have GERD. That doesn't mean that is what is causing your problem in the throat though, even if it can be a contributing cause.  I have acid reflux and Omeprazole keeps that under control.

In own my case I sometimes wonder if the problem might be genetic.  My father and two older brothers seemed to have the same probem, though not nearly as bad as I have.  Maybe  something my family all ate or drank could be a factor.  The women in my family never seemed to be affected though.  It really is a mystery.

Good luck with your ENT tests.  That barium swallow test is an ordeal.  I had one when I had a hernia/intestine attachment that blocked my entire gut.  I couldn't keep it down and barfed all over my hospital bed.  I warned the attendants that I was going to gag but they never got me a barf bag.  They just stood ther like dummies while I struggled to hold it down.  I'll bet the next time they did that test they had one handy, lol.

One more thing I've noticed.  If I sneeze it seems to break all that gunk loose and I can get rid of it all in a couple of minutes, both from the sinused and throat. .  A century ago, men used to use snuff to make themselves sneeze.  I wonder if it was for relief from this problem?  A ittle pepper would do the same thing.
Thanks for your insight edaho, I can't really gripe too much, about the VA, I know they are way overbooked, I go to the Michael DeBakey Veterans Hospital in Houston, and it's always packed. But I always have to keep in mind that if it weren't for them I would not have medical care, just can't afford the civilian docs. But it is frustrating when you get a kid fresh out of med school, wet behind the ears making a snap decision about your health without a thought to how you feel. To him you're right out of his textbook, and he hasn't learned to listen to his patients yet (some never learn).

Anyway,I'll be looking forward to the barium test it'll be an experience I'm sure.
I have to say if it is GERD, yeah...better than the other thoughts going on in my head. I was a smoker for 20 years, but I've been smoke free for 26 years, but that's no guarantee I'm home free. I actually quit when the doctor diagnosed me with the Lupus, I was in so much pain then I didn't care how it ended, but the doctor said I would feel better if I quit; so that was my incentive (hardest thing I ever did). It did help, but most days I still wake up feeling like I got hit by a bus. Now with this condition it just adds more to deal with everyday. I did ask my primary care doc at the VA if this could be the Lupus, and he did say it is a possibility, but to reach that diagnosis I have to go through the process of eliminating other possible causes.

You know I had heard that snuff was used medicinally back when so you may be right.

So do you feel you are getting any closer to finding out what is plaguing you?

Oh I meant to tell you I did have nasal surgery some 28 years ago. They reamed out the nasal turbinate's so I could breathe, but as soon as the scar tissue formed I lost the benefit of the surgery; it brought me back to square zero. Still have to breathe through my mouth most of the time.
Since you had that surgery (or similar) you probably experienced the stuffed sausages they stuff up your nose to put pressure while it heals. I will never forget when the doc removed them, and I literally felt like those things were going to suck my brains right out of my head. Terrible experience!
Sorry, I'm rambling again (drives my wife crazy), so I'll stop, and if I find out a great revelation from the test I will share this new found wisdom with you all. Hang in there all!

I'm thankful for the VA too, although it seems to attract the doctors who can't do well in private practice.  I have met a few good ones though. The nurses I've encountered there were all terrific.

No, I have no clear sense of what causes this problem.  I don't think I have any allergies, but allergy medication helps keep it barely under control.  When I run out of one of my meds it does get worse.  

Another complication is my voice.  When this gunk builds up in my throat it interferes with my vocal cords.  I lead the singing in church every Sunday and I have to make sure I get most of the phlem out before singing.  

Good luck with your barium test.

That's great that you can at least keep it at bay, especially to be able to sing in your church choir. I can't hold a tune much less with this problem. I choke even when I talk very long.
Well I couldn't stand it and today broke away from work and got an appointment with a civilian  ENT. I felt so bad this weekend; had no energy at all, just flat wore out from hacking, very sore throat, swollen glands, and just felt like I needed some kind of an answer. All of this in spite of finishing 30 days of antibiotics which was of no use.  The doc did the scope on me through the nose (what fun), and took at a look at my larynx, did the whole routine that I'm sure you are familiar with, and said he didn't see any damage that would make him conclude I have acid reflux, or post nasal drip. He did conclude that the mucous I was hacking was from my lungs. He asked if I've had a bronchoscopy (which I haven't), and recommended to have that done at the VA, and he said he thinks I should have a MRI of my neck and chest as soon as possible and not to delay. He told me if the VA can't do it right away he would order it for me. That of course made me nervous. So I have a call into the VA, but could only leave a message for which they tell me they will call back within 24 hours. This is putting me a little on edge to say the least.
Something natural to help you clear the throat and lungs. Do the kapalbhati, twice a day, to build up your immune system. The  bhramri and ujjayi will stimulate the throat, with the vibration.You will feel the benefit gradually. Do it daily, and this will help you and your body for the rest of life. Let me know at some point, when you notice the benefit.I have tried to explain the method,in simple words and a few attempts may be required.Keep your eyes closed, when you do the pranayam.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Kapalbhati pranayam -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

Duration : 5 to 21  times.

Ujjayi pranayam
Procedure: While breathing in, tighten throat(contract glotis) and there will be sound from back of throat, then drop chin(rest chin on chest), hold breath as long as possible.Then  chin up, close right nostril and slowly breath out through left nostril.
Duration: 5 – 21 times

How to do Ujjayi
When you clear your throat, you tighten your throat and breath out, twice, with a pause in between. . Now if you reverse this, that is, tighten the throat and breath in continuously for abour 8 to 12 seconds, then hold your breath for 4 seconds with the chin down, then  chin up, close right nostril and slowly breath out through left nostril, you have just done Ujjayi pranayam.You will feel like coughing initially.
June 28, 2011
So the phlem comes from your lungs instead of your sinuses?  That's a horse of a different color.

A few years ago I had a sudden and horrible case of bronchitis.  I coughed my lungs out.  I went to the doctor and he gave me TWO SHOTS of different antibiotics.  It started helping quickly  and I was mostly over it in a couple of days.  I've had oral antibiotics before and they do not seem to help anything I took them for.  I think the shots are many times more effective.  The doctor stressed that it took the two different kinds to do the job.  I don't remember what they were now though.
Yeah,
from the lungs, that's what has me so worried.
The mucous is clear to white in color, and having been a Respiratory Therapist for ten years back in 1988 to 98 (no longer in that field..too stressful) I know that the color would have a tinge of yellow to green if it were bacterial(exception to that rule could be TB). So unfortunately anti-biotics wouldn't work if it's not bacterial. By the way the injection you probably received was Rocephin which is used to combat drug resistant bacterial infections (really good stuff).
The other possibilities could be scary, and thus my being upset with that young Pulmo doc. A barium swallow/upper GI series won't show what the lungs are doing it will simply show if there is a leakage past the esophageal sphincter which would lead to the assumption that the irritation of the lungs is caused by GERD which allows acid to leak back into the trachea. All of his chips are placed on this being what is the sole cause of the lungs being irritated, and abnormally producing so much mucous.
My concern of course is that if it is a serious condition going on in the lungs then time is of the essence, and I don't have to tell you how slow the VA can be to get you scheduled for the necessary tests, and how nervous that makes me. I just had a friend go through this, and MD Anderson Cancer Center couldn't save him. I'm sure what happened to my friend just a couple of months ago is weighing heavily on my paranoia right now, but I can't help thinking the worst.
Sometimes knowledge can be your enemy, and not your friend when it comes to things like this.
Of course I really hope this doc is right, and I would be very glad to eat crow without any salt and pepper. I would really love that, but I don't have a whole lot of confidence that he's right!
I really appreciate your input and support, I need all I can get at this point.
Gunner
Hi Gunnner,

Your case sounds complicated.  Hopefully, the doctor is right and it is not TB.  A friend of mine went through a terrible time last year with some kind of fungal infection in his lungs.  The doctors had a very hard time finding what it was. They had to call in a specialist.  If I remember right, they treated it with prednizone.  I could ask him for more details if you like.

Yes, the VA is slow as molassas in January at making appointments - unless your primary-care person tells them it is urgent.  Mine did that this winter when I was having eye problems and was seeing moving colored lights in my right eye.  I got to see a specialist in three days.  Maybe you can impress your doc with the sense of urgency and get him to make that phone call to the specialist.

Good luck
Ed
Hi Ed,
Wow, fungal infections, tough viruses (which is what they are thinking now), or the possibility that the Lupus I have is now attacking my lungs. They just don't know, and all they can do is run test after test that hasn't revealed anything to date. The good side to all the test is that they were able to rule out lung cancer (which scared the heck out of me). So for the Cat-scan I had to pay for out of pocket to a civilian doctor....it was worth it! BTW it did also rule out TB, another bonus.
But bottom line it that my lungs still hurt, and burn, and lots, and lots of fluid continually coming up. I have tried to get the primary care doc at the VA to move on this but have found that he's not movable. He doesn't seem to care for any input from me. That's the part that's so maddening.
Anyway I would appreciate how they figured out the fungal infection was what your friends problem turned out to be, and what specialist it took to figure it out.
Thanks Ed, I appreciate the help.

I
Hi Gunner,

I talked to my friend on Sunday.  What he had turned out to be Bronchiolitis obliterans with organizing pneumonia (BOOP).  It is also known as cryptogenic organizing pneumonia (COP). He had fiberous growths in his lungs, which is why  I thought it was fungal, but it's actually viral.

The GPs couldn't decide what it was and finally called in a specialist.( I think it was a Pulmonologist). They had to take samples and have it analized before they finally figured out what it was.  They treated it with prednizone.  It took a year or more before he was over it.  He had to use oxygen for a long time,  

A suggestion about your VA doc.  Go to the Patient Advocate and make a complaint.  Demand to have a specialist examine you.

Ed
I use Methi seed as a tea and it helps alot.  Put a tablespoon of methi seed in a cup with boiling water and let it soak for 5 or 10 minutes and drink it ; it helps with the mucus alot.  
I too have had this "excessive" mucus (mucous?) all of my life.
I've had a ton of allergies since I was 10.  I can never go anywhere
without a box (a big, full box) of Kleenex or Puffs close-by.

Just in the last year (I'm now 53) things have gotten out of hand with
the throat. Yes, I've been diagnosed with GERD.
In the mornings, about 15-30 minutes after I wake up, I start gagging.
I can't take Medrol, Singulair makes me jittery (costs a lot, too).
I spend 5 minutes or so gagging, and doing deep-throat hacking/clearing while blowing my nose as a ton of mucus comes up.  I almost vomit about 20% of the time.  
ALSO:  A LOT OF AIR is expelled from my stomach!  It's like I have HUGE burps, in the middle of all this--they feel very similar to Vomiting--but only mucus comes up...
I treat this DAILY, almost, with Carbonated Pepsi Throwback --must have REAL sugar...I can, first thing when this starts.  Also, I take an Extra-Strength GAS-X.
Not sure why this works...within 15-20 minutes, things begin to feel more normal, and the "lump" in my throat starts to "go away".
Once I can get to THAT point, I can begin to function normally,
and I'm fine until the NEXT MORNING!!!
I believe it's allergy-caused.  I live in the Allergy capital of the World, Austin, TX.  When I go out of town, or to a less-allergic climate,
I RARELY notice this problem...almost never.
AND, sometimes in Austin, it doesn't seem so bad in the 1 or 2 months where grasses and oak, and ragweed are very low.

That's right ONE 12oz. "Throwback" Pepsi (real sugar, NOT HFCS), and one Extra-Strength Gas-X.
Give it a 1/2 hour.

Eat Something within an hour of taking it (something light -- cereal, or toast--scratchy to help clear the throat).

Works OK for me.  Better than a lot of steroids, or singulair if you ask me.

Thanks for all comments. I have been suffering from thick mucous on my vocal chords for 18 months. This is debilitating not only as I'm a singer but in my daily life. I've had every kind of practitioner look at this and tried every drug, drink, natural herb, mechanical device. The practitioners claim they will fix it it no time and after a few hundred bucks worth of speculative treatment, I move on to the next big hope.  
I've had scans and photos of everything and nothing is apparently wrong - just this daily, constant deposit of thick stringy mucous on my vocal chords which needs to be hacked away for a few seconds or minutes of relief.
Unfortunately, I have no answers and I see none in this column but I live in hope - this appears to be such a simple issue - I am otherwise very healthy - no alcohol, do dairy no meat little wheat. So the daily question is "what is my body trying to expel that I am not aware of?"  Anyway, my ramblings could continue but thanks for listening.! PAW
Check to see if your vagus nerve is damaged? read up on the vagus nerve.

best wishes!
The virus infection is bacteria infection caused by muccous thickening, it is dangerous it can lead to bacteria in your blood stream and smoking and coffee is not cool! it keeps your bacteria at bay! i have been doing alot of research i have muccous and didnt know why it kepted coming back until i found the right doctor!! my luck he has his bachelors in science, and also in fectious dieases as well as internal medicine. don't just see any doctor do some research just like if you were going to buy a car!

best wishes to all!!!!

READ UP ON THE VARGUS NERVE IF IT GETS DAMAGED! IF ALL OF YOU NOTICE THAT YOUR GASTRO TRACT IS INVOLVED YOUR HEART LUNGS CHEST CAVITY. THEY SAY IT'S THE VAGUS NERVE! COULD HAVE BEEN DANAGED??  AND ALSO TRY A TEASPOON OF HONEY WHEN YOUR FEEL ATTACK COMING ON ( ACCID REFLUX )
THE REASON THEY CANT FIND OUT WHERE IT'S COMING FROM AND GIVE IT A NAME ACCID REFLUX, THEY WOULD'NT BE AS WORRIED & DESPERATE LIKE WE ALL ARE, IS BECAUSE THEY DON'T LIVE W/ IT MAN! MAKE THEM BE MORE UP FRONT AND THE CARDS ON THE TABLE AND BE HONEST!! BUT I HAVE BEEN READING ON THE VAGUS NERVE AND IT JUST MAKES SENSE. CHECK IT OUT.. AND TO ALL OF YOU SURE YOU KEEP GOING BACK AND BACK TO THE SAME DOCTOR AND THEY ARE GOING TO SEE YOU AND TELL YOU THE SAME THING MONEY MONEY.

GOOD LUCK!!
Any of you ever been checked for TMJ? I have had this problem so long that I didn't even realize it was a serious problem. Mucous builds up and I can feel it on the roof of my mouth. Coffee in the morning makes me drain like crazy! Anyways I went to the dentist for a root canal and he mentioned that I have TMJ and asked me if I wanted to be fit for a splint which is something like a retainer to help me realign my tmj.  I said sure whatever thought he was crazy but then he started to ask if I had headaches and where at and if I had neck pain and what do you know its from tmj. He didn't mention the mucous but I got my retainer and wore it to bed that night and OMG I can breathe in the morning! It felt so great~~When I first got the retainer it opened my mouth a bit so my teeth didn't actually touch ( I used to grind my teeth when i was younger so my mouth prolly shouldn't close all the way like it does now.) and now it is worn down a bit from wearing it and I can't wait to go back and have him refit it. Oh the energy I have now because I can actually breathe! If I am in a car with the defrost on I feel like I am suffocating because of all that hot air blown at my face with this mucous in my throat. I am hoping this will be it and I have finally found out what to do about it!
Hi Dakota,

I couldn't sign in to my account and had to create a new one, but this is the same edaho who started this discussion.

I've made some important discoveries about our common problem.  First is that ENT doctors do not have the answers.  Their expertise ends with the throat, while the problem goes deeper.  They treat for Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) but are ignorant of the real problem, which is Laryngopharyngeal Reflux (LPR) or "Silent Reflux”, which is a problem with the esophagus.

The esophagus has a muscle at both the top and the bottom called sphincter muscles.  They open when swallowing and close to prevent reflux.  When the lower sphincter muscle fails to close, stomach acid backs up into the esophagus causing the burning sensation called heartburn.  The acid can also go into the lungs causing much pain and coughing.  The upper sphincter muscle, if it remains working properly, prevents this acid from entering the throat.  This is GERD.

BUT, if the upper sphincter muscle also does not close properly the acid goes into the throat and larynx, which causes the sinuses to overproduce mucous.  This is the condition called LPR – or Silent Reflux, because the GERD symptoms are not present.  The esophagus also produces mucous, which rises into the throat.  So with mucous coming from the stomach and esophagus and combining with mucous from the sinuses in the throat it becomes a massive chronic problem.

To have the sphincter muscles checked you have to see a Gastroenterologist, (a doctor who specializes in diagnosing and treating disorders of the digestive system).  He will perform an endoscopy using an endoscope, which is a tiny camera and light in a tube that goes down the throat.

It wasn’t until food started sticking in my esophagus that I was referred to a Gastroenterologist.  When he performed the endoscopy it was found that I had a cancerous tumor around the lower sphincter muscle.  I begin chemo and radiation treatments for it next week.

This cancer is usually caused by stomach acid damage to the esophagus, heavy drinking, and/or smoking. As I neither smoke nor drink that leaves stomach acid as the culprit.  The pity of it is that the ENTs and GPs who kept treating me for GERD had no clue that it could be something more complex and they were not smart enough to refer me to a Gastroenterologist.  If they had - this tumor could have been prevented, or caught before it became so huge and life threatening.  

Here’s a link with more info on LPR.
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Ed/Desktop/Laryngopharyngeal%20Reflux%20-%20LPR.htm

I urge you and everyone else who has this problem to see a Gastroenterologist before you become a victim of Esophageal Cancer.

I have been trying to treat these symptoms too. I had an ENT stick a camera up my nose (ouch!) and I have never heard a Dr sound so disgusted before. She described a stringy web-like mucus filling my throat. She told me it was from acid reflux. The meds they gave me for the acid reflux actually gave me noticeable reflux. I started taking Apple Cider Vinegar, which for me worked wonders in both the relief from any heartburn and the feeling of food stuck in my throat. I had already had the Barium fluroscope test to rule out any actual obstructions. I clear my throat so often people think I am being rude. My common statement now is that I am not looking for attention, I am just trying to breath.
Most of my symptoms started after I was given anti-biotics for a viral pnuemonia (pneumonia). Three months later I had horrible post-nasal drip then the throat symptoms started.
Has anyone else tried looking into Candida as a cause. As I have been working on that as a potential treatment, my symptoms are slowly clearing up.
I would love the input of others and am willing to offer my 2 cents worth for others to consider.
I have posted on this site a while ago and have tried many things to help with reflux and mucus . A few days ago I started taking mastic gum ,It is helping greatly.Ican not believe it,I understand it can kill H pylori and ulcers.Hope this helps others Best to all Hotchillipepper.
I've had 'throat glue' causing constant throat clearing and inability to speak properly since puberty.  I found a remedy that works, but it costs 40.00 for a month's supply.  It's native remedies 'mucus-clear'.  I'm looking for a more permanent or diet related remedy to avoid the cost of this product.
     I tried everything....nothing works.....the apple cider did take the sinus headache away and unblock my noise. I did test on the mucus with bubbles spitting on a round mirro putting mucus on it to see if anything would thin it and so far nothing....i tried gas,oil,fire,poison,windex,herbs,anything around the house nothing. I must agree there is no cure at all. I believe in time that it will end up being something like agent orange ,it either from our food or something that there using now and we wont know till 30 years from now. The doctors probaly dont even know yet. They need to do lab test to see what this really is. The bubbles in it and the thickness is odd. as anyone out had a lab test on ur mucus. it just seems to many got this...i had a lot of fluid build up in my head and felt i was going to drown in it. i took off to florida in 4 to 5 hours it started coming out of my nose and mouth i couldnt even speak it was flying out of my mouth. am hoping to go back to florida and see if i spend alot a time in ocean it would help this mucus in throat and the rest of sinus problems.
Hey guys, I really believe this condition is called LPR which is where the spincture muscle that is suppose to close doesn't therefore the acid pushes up into your system usually bypassing the lower part of the esophagus and heads up to the upper part of the esophagus into the larynx and sometimes even higher towards the nasal cavity, which is why most of us do not having the burning in the chest because the acid has actually been pushed higher up causing an immune response of mucus to be produced. This mucus is actually trying to protect the lining of the esophagus, larynx otherwise your throat would be on fire Most of us probably also have a Hiatal Hernia with the condition.
I have had this condition for a long time and have seen many doctors who are also clueless. I have tried the acid reflux meds none of them worked plus I didn't like the idea of all the acid being neutralized and risking my calcium  intake not being absorbed you need acid to help with calcium absorption otherwise one could end up with another serious issue, the apple cider vinegar thins the mucus but doesn't stop it from forming.

What has finally worked for me is the 80 alkaline/ 20 acid diet meaning I started eating alot of raw and steamed vegetables with nothing on them no seasonings, or butter.Most vegetables are alkaline and they neutralize acid trust me it works. Any other kind of food is acidic meats,breads, cakes, any and all sweets and most drinks other than water so you want to limit your intake of all of these things.
I don't take any meds other than aspirin or tylenol for some type of pain. I take vitamins in the morning as most need the acid in your system to help with absorption.
I tried to eat all acidic foods (meats for protein, breads etc) in the morning and for lunch with alkaline foods - some veggies or salad that I only use lemon or olive oil and vinegar as a dressing. I've noticed any other dressings will set me off.
I tried to eat my dinner between 4-5:30 pm and it is strictly alkaline if I eat any meat it is fish with a little lemon But like I said I try not to eat any acidic foods for dinner.
If you stick to this you will notice that in about 3 days the hacking will diminish and life will become so much better. you will be able to sleep at night without all the hacking.
Now trust me there are times when things will come up and you won't be able to stick to  this completely so I say go and enjoy but start back on the 80/20 the next day. If your going to drink coffee or cola products do it earlier in the day and eat lots of veggies afterwards to help neutralize the acid that will be formed from these products.
I think trying to fix yourself holisticly is the way to go it can't hurt to try but depending on how bad off you are i would give it a week or two to start noticing the healing affects. Most of us have been dealing with this for years so it will take sometime for your body to start healing. You also take magnesium at night it also helps to neutralize acid and it is the most important mineral to take.
I believe LPR (Laryngopharyngeal reflux) is what I had, however it was never diagnosed. I researched it on the Internet. It is also known as Silent Reflux. There is a sphincter valve, a ring of muscle around both the lower end and upper ends of the esophagus that open when we swallow and then closes to prevent reflux.  When the lower one fails to close completely acid rises into the esophagus causing common acid reflux, called GERD and the resulting heartburn. When the upper sphincter valve also fails to close the acid rises into the throat, and heartburn is not felt. That's why they call it "Silent Reflux"

In my case it was too late for any treatment; I had a malignant tumor where the esophagus joins the stomach. I only found this out when food became stuck in my esophagus and I was X-rayed. And, as I had heart problems for years, they didn't dare operate to remove the tumor. I went through chemo and radiation for five weeks almost a year ago. The tumor has shrunk and I am in remission. (After a massive heart attach too)

A word of advice for everyone with this problem, ENT specialists are clueless about this condition. Even the Gastroenterologist I finally saw had never heard of LPR.

The causes of esophageal cancer are  drinking too much alcohol, smoking, and acid reflux. As I do not drink or smoke, that means the stomach acid, (LPR) was the cause. Anyone with LPR should have their esophagus x-rayed for a tumor. Esophageal Cancer is a silent killer, with a very small survival rate. It was only through several miracles that I survived.  

If cancer is not found, the LPR can usually be cured by stretching the sphincter muscles with angioplasty (balloon treatment) , which helps them to close better. LPR is a VERY serious condition, which most doctors know nothing about.
I tried many things for mucous in my throat/post nasal drip. I have recently found that Oil of Oregano actually works. I put 4 drops of oregano oil in a small amount of water, gargle for a minute or so and swallow it. It is in an olive oil base when you buy it and has a slight bitter taste which disappears quickly. I have to say it is amazing stuff....just wanted to share !!
have the same thing,  bubbles like gel I spit in a clear plastic cup and they stayed for days, I think its some sort of worm or parisite that is in my sinus and lungs. I caugh up thick rubbery strands of mucus type looking stuff which has sometime a sort of flesh color I think they r the eggs of the parisite.
I have the same thing gel like bubbles and thick long rubbery flesh colored things they r sometimes a ball too but they pull apart or unroll into longer worm looking things its freaking me out.
I don't know if I should cry.  Maybe get on some anti-depressant meds.  After reading nearly 8 years of comments.  No one came back and said I am cured and this is gonna help you.
I am a man and 47, my mucus clearing in my throat began at 40.  Never had an alergy (allergy) in my life.  
Done all the usual.  Barrium swallow, twice down the throat with the camera.
ENT.  tried every over the counter meds for alergies (allergies).  Predinizone 3 times, flonase.  Went to alergy (allergy) doc.  No alergies (allergies) what so ever.
The did find the hiatal hernia.  a ring and some damage near my throat from acid.  the sore leaks acid.  
they put me on proton pump inhibitors.  5 weeks now, no help with the clear sticky mucus.
i stopped all coffee, black tea,  no junk food.  no dairy.  no wheat, no gluten.
6 weeks.  no help.
i will stop red meat next.  so just veggies, fruit. fish chicken.  i stopped all pork already.
ACV.  apple cider vin, does help a little.  i juice tumeric, ginger, grapefruit, honey, acv,  pinch of celtic sea salt.  seems to help a little.  i do that before bed and helps me sleep.
a take melatonin.  that does help me sleep.
but i havent found anything that stops this constant throat clearing.
its depressing.  I read about some of you who have it way worse than me.
How do you keep sane.  I am at wits end.  Pause, cleared my throat.  LOL.
I've had this issues for 12 years now and it started after I got Lyme Disease.  I have a 98% blocked deviated septum, sinusitis and severe chronic asthma.  I get thick white sticky frothy mucus in my throat every day- every hour -every minute and I am constantly "coughing up a lung".  I have tightness in my chest- severe dizziness, severe swelling/pain/heaviness in my legs (like concrete) and my BP soots up to 185/120 at night.  (normal for me is 90/60)  and my temp drops to 93.3.

I am completely exhausted every minute of the day and have heart palpitations and arrhythmias constantly.  The pulm. doc told me I have PND and Acid reflux also- I haven't been able to swallow anything other than liquids for 12 yrs and  any liguid makes it worse.  I also found out I have Hashimotos and my thyroid has millions of nodules all over it- making things worse- especially when my lyme kicks in and swells everything up.  (Lyme is a disease of inflammation.)  I have the quality of life of a 98 yr old man in a nursing home.  All the docs have given up and don't care that I almost choke to death every day.  If you are a woman over 40 - you don't matter.  If they suffered the way I do- they would start caring.
OMG. I sat here today and read all the comments and am shocked as well that no one can find a cure for this problem. I have the same thing some morning are worse then others some times I cough so hard trying to get this mucus up I start gagging not any fun. I get so tired after a bout with this I just want to go to bed. I have had this problem for going on 5 years now. The Drs say its Silent Gerd taken Nexium no help, Asthma, Allergies. They now tell me I have COPD which makes it worse, can't breath and coughing up all this mucus. Tried the Neti Pot no luck, nasal sprays, vaporizers. Have a chocking spell on my food or water at times and start coughing and spitting up mucus for about 30 min. What seems to quite the coughing is a piece of cinnamon candy & peppermint tea.
I have to go to a Pulmonologist on the 29th because after I have a coughing attack having a hard time breathing. Going to try Fenugreek powder and see if that helps. Its really a shame as far as we have come in the medical world that no one can figure out this problem.  
Since I started this discussion in 2008 i have been through the wringer. I was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in 2012. The treatment just about killed me. In fact, you might say it did. I had a massive heart just after treatment and was given CPR, which brought me back after having no vital signs for eight minutes.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I still have the same problem with mucous, and am still looking for a cure. I did have a temporary respite when I quit drinking orange juice, but the problem returned within months.

You know how all the medical practitioners say to drink eight glasses of water a day to stay hydrated?  The common opinion seems to be that increasing hydration will help thin out the mucous. Drinking all that water did not help me. In fact, I couldn’t choke that much down every day.

I just found something online that seems promising. It’s called CELLULAR HYDRATION. (hydration within the cells) Here's the URL to the site. http://www.richmondreview.com/lifestyles/173973921.html

Dr. Neetu Dhiman, at this site states that drinking all that water does nothing to improve cellular hydration. It only increases the hydration between cells.  Dr. Neetu Dhiman, is a Naturopathic Physician at Brio Integrative Health Centre Inc.  She can be reached at ***@****

She claims that using Celtic or Himalayan Sea salt will greatly increase cellular hydration. This is not the Sea Salt that is available in most grocery stores. It is unrefined, unprocessed, unheated, untreated sea salt in its natural form – with about eighty minerals that are removed in processing table salt. These minerals are claimed to improve cellular hydration. I just got some at a health food store and will post whether or not it seems to be helping. I did notice already, that about ¼ tsp of this salt in a tall glass of water is delicious, and I can drink more water with comfort.

Ed

Hi Mark,
I am  new to this page. I have been reading all the previous post and am sorta glad I am not the only one with this problem.   I have one question that I have not noticed on previous comments..... do any of you have the mucous so thick that it actually does not dissolve?  Not always, but sometimes during the night I get up and have to sorta gargle  to spit it up.  what lands on my drain is usually there in the morning.. Ugh! I know...
I will try the Singular, which kinda makes sense to me at this time... Thanks for all the post, I hope I didn't gross anyone out...
Sometimes mine is the consistency of a chunk of Jello. Most of the time it is somewhat thicker than molasses.
I have a similar condition. It started after an exposure to glyphosate (Round up). It includes not being able to get food or liquids past the Lower Esophageal Sphincter (LES). I found your discussion today as I was at my wits end, again, with the snot and starvation. Has anyone here tried lugol's iodine solution? Just something I've found in a distantly related search thread.  Have any of the rest of you been diagnosed with, or have symptoms of low or hypothyroid?  On this site ( http://www.laurapower.com/page26.html ) under the 4 functions of iodine , section 1, second full paragraph, she states lack of iodine causes excess mucous production... Most people eating a western diet are iodine deficient. Iodinized salt won't do it. I'm ordering the lugol's from amazon today. We'll see how it goes.