Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Throat Irritation, Feeling like something is stuck

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

For about a week now, I have felt like there is something stuck in my throat. When it first started, I could feel it all the time and it felt like a piece of food was stuck. A few days later it only felt like a tickle, as if a piece of hair was caught in my throat. The past 3 days, I feel it off and on. Sometimes not at all. When I eat, I usually don't feel it, especially if it's cold food. It feels like it's right at the back of my tongue, at the top of my throat. I have no pain of any kind, my throat is not sore, I'm not coughing more than normal, there is no blood and it doesn't hurt to breath or swallow. Do my symptoms sound like it could be serious? Do you think I should wait it out and it should go away in time? Over the past week that I have felt it, it seems to have gone away slightly because it isn't as bad as it was in the beginning, so I'm wondering if I should just give it time and see what happens or if that is dangerous. Any information you could tell me would be greatly appreciated. I know you can't give me a specific answer, but any possibilities would help. Thank you.
From your description, this could be something at the base of your tongue or in your throat.  It could have been an irritation, a swelling, or possibly an infection.  The fact that the symptoms appear to be getting better is a good sign.  If it was something bad, it would not simply be going away.  If you watch it for a few more days and it is continuing to improve, I would do nothing.  If it continues unchanged or gets worse, it is probably a good idea to have your doctor look down your throat and see what is present.
I have had the same thing off and on for years. Eventually worked out it was a post nasal drip - mucous coming down from the back of the nose. When it was thicker it was a lot harder to get rid of and irritated like something solid. I've since discovered a wheat, gluten and SOY allergy that causes thh excess mucous. Since avioding them I'm 100% better. But if I;m not careful even on bisuit can cause me coughing and mucous problems for half an hour. I had some icecream last night and coughed for hours (groan, that'll teach me). all the best finding if it's mucous and the cause.
This feeling went away about a week ago and I was happy that it finally did. Then about last Sunday it started coming back. There are times when I still dont feel it at all and other times, like in the morning, it feels less or smaller and then during the day, feels like its bigger. Sometimes I feel it on the left, sometimes on the right. Can this really be related to just a postnasal drip? I havent been sick in quite some time and my nose hasnt been running. I am around cats all the time, and I am allergic to them so is it possibly thats what causes the postnasal drip? I've never had this problem before so I didn't think that was it. From what I can tell, I cant see it when I look at the back on my tongue and throat so anyone who has felt this before, if you have found a way to get rid of it or know what may be causing it, please let me know because now that it came back after going away makes me nervous about what it is. Thanks
I have suffered from gastro problems my entire life. 12 yrs ago I had gallbladder out. Thought problems were solved. Couldn't have been more wrong. Things got worse. A car accident forced me into chiropractic where I was truly educated about my body. After a long continuing journey, I have found that the sensation of having something stuck in your throat is caused by gallstones or liver stones blocking a common duct. Sometimes it is caused by acid reflux or hernia. Try taking 1 Tblspn epsom salts in 3/4 cup of water on an empty stomach. If the feeling is gone in 20-30 min. you may have stone problems. I have done Dr. Hulda Clark's liver flush, where I passed hundreds of stones. You feel so much better afterwards, it is amazing. Stones do not always show up on ultrasound but that doesn't mean you don't have them. You also do not have to have a gallbladder to have stones.
A related discussion, Feeling like air caught in throat was started.
A related discussion, Is it mouth cancer was started.
A related discussion, throat irritation was started.
A related discussion, fells like somethingstuck in throat was started.
A related discussion, Feeling of "lump of phlyegm in throat" was started.
A related discussion, tightening of throat was started.
A related discussion, something stuck in throat. was started.
I feel like there is something constantly stuck in my throat. Sometimes it's worse than others. After brushing my teeth the other day, I coughed up two little yellow chunks of stuff. They were sort of the shape of hamburger. They smelt bad and were hard. I do not smoke either. I have no idea what to do to get rod of this, please help!!
A related discussion, Throat irritation was started.
A related discussion, throat sting was started.
A related discussion, something in my throat was started.
A related discussion, feeling that something is stuck in my throat was started.
I have been having the same issue for while now and its really becoming uncomfortable and unbearable. I constantly feel like something is stuck in my throat. Pls what do i do?
I feel like something is stuck in my throat and sometimes when I clear my throat its hard for me to swollow sz nd on top of that I cant swollow my food cause im scared im gonna choke please help me I havent eatin in almost 2 weeks on solid food