Respiratory Disorders Community
Throat closes up?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Throat closes up?

My symptons are similair to those posting on the tickel in throat fourm.  Something comes over me, it feels like my throat closes up it's very dry and I have to gasp for air, then my eye (usually always the right side) gets so dry it begins to water like a fountain!!  I can't talk, breathe, I am like paralyzed then the panic attack sets in, when I come to I am exhausted!  wore out!!  I can't figure out if this is allergy related or acid reflux any info. esp. if anyone else has ever had this so I don't think I am alone would help.
P.S. It doesn't happen very often and it just happens no particular thing I am doing last time I was just driving in the car.  It's very scary and after the panic attacks set in I get the dry heaves which doesn't help with the acid in my mouth makes me gag more.  I need to do go the dentist and get put to sleep but fear I will have another one of these 'attacks'.  I wished I knew what they were related to, allergies or acid reflux so I could get them under control. Very very scary.
Hi I had similar problem except my was aggravated with smells and my voice would go.  it turned out to be vocal cord dysfunction.  i saw a speech pathologist and she gave me breathing techniques.  all of which would work for u like they did for me.  i also found that staying on the gerdes diet no which u look up really was a big part of the answer.  just give the diet sometime.  i have since found out i have gerdes and have stuck to the diet for 2 months.  it hasn't happended again.
p.s. I failed to mention that i would have my throat close up and would be in such a panic what to do like go to the ER or what.
It happens like once a year for me but this week it's happened twice.  It's like an asthma attack or something? Since I am so panic stricken I just go to bed and try to forget about it but am scared to do much with fear another one will come upon me. I would like to know what causes these.  I may go to the dr. next week and explain what has happened. I am thinking it's allergy related.I am afraid I am just going to pass out an die!  Very frighting.
My mom goes through the same thing and I was doing some research and Val92 is right, it does sound like vocal cord dysfunction.........what happens is the vocal cords close over the airways for a few moments and it feels like you are choking or can't breath, just like an asthma attack.........have your dr. check you for VCD and if that dr does not know what you are talking about go to an ears, nose, and throat dr., they are the ones that specialize in it..............hope this helps and take care..........God bless you!
What tests do they do and what can they do for it? I am afraid of having medical devices stuck down my throat !
I am not completely sure of the tests, but if you look up VCD (Vocal Cord Dysfunction) online, it will tell you what to expect and what to tell your dr. to check for and I think they either put you to sleep or give you a sedative to put the probe down the throat............hope this helps.........:-)
This is long so I will cut to the chase-- FOOD ALLERGY is my bet, or even could be environmental. Perfume affects me greatly. My allergist told me I only had dust and grass pollen reactions on my test. It was a worthless visit. I am here because I woke up smothering. My eyes are swollen, can't breathe, throat feels closed up, dry mouth and eyes. I had scopes done. I have a hiatal hernia, evidence of possible Celiac disease and food allergies, gastritis and colitis (not the bad kind. Blood tests showed negative for gluten, but I know I cannot eat dairy. And NO Lactaid does not help, so I am certain it is the casein protein I am allergic to. I found out that people with the Celiac or gluten are also intolerant to  dairy. I have been on a dairy free, gluten free diet for a few weeks. (I also didn't realize how many bad things like preservatives and sugar substitutes are put into commercial food that adversely affect us). Last night I accidentally put some Lawry's Sesame Sauce on my pork chop and took a bite before realizing it has wheat in it too! I really think this is why I am having an attack now! Food allergies are often misdiagnosed--Fibromyalgia, for one. They can cause more than stomach problems and weight loss. Sinus problems, throat spasms, nervousness, irritability, rashes, tingling, dizziness, bad balance and can even lead to diseases of the colon. I have lost 25 pounds, down to 108 since May. So I don't care what the blood tests say, I am staying gluten free from now on!
I forgot to say what my attack is--I woke up smothering, throat closed, eyes swollen and then started shaking all over because I felt like I was dying! I finally made myself relax as much as possible, take slow breaths. I also took a Zyrtec (they used to say take Benadryl for allergy attacks, but it is to drying and makes you very sleepy) and chewed ice for the swollen throat. I feel a little better now. It's been two hours since the smothering woke me up. I feel certain the wheat in that sauce did it. I am going to continue the gluten free, dairy free diet and see if this never happens again. I hope you all find your problem, and don't let them label you with an awful disease when it's really a symptom!