Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Throat spasm

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Throat spasm

I am a normally healthy person who had a sudden attack of my throat closing up very suddenly in my offic.  My throat felt itchy like I needed to clear it which I tried to do which then turned into a cough which then seemingly turned into a spasm. I felt about to pass out when the episode subsided. The ER doctor thought it might be VCD as a reaction to something.  I do work in an old building which they are constantly working on. Right now they are doing masonry work. After reading this web site I wonder if somehow concrete dust came through my fresh air vent that is above my head and I inhaled at the wrong time? I ate nothing out of the ordinary and was fine at home and during the drive to work - did not stop anywhere in between. Do have Post nasal drip and TMJ which I also read it sometimes connected. I have an appointment with an ENT shortly.  My family Dr. gave me an "epi pen" to carry just in case of another attack - I wonder if it will help. Any ideas on why this would happen? I now have a hot pain that seems to radiate in my chest, but this could be due to anxiety I have experience since the attack. I would appreciate any feed back - did visit cantbreathesuspectvcd web site and it was helpful.
It is understandable that the attack that you have described could cause you to experience anxiety.

Vocal Cord Dysfunction (VCD) is a condition that can mimic asthma.  However, VCD is not helped by asthma medicines.  While inhaling the vocal cords should open to let air into the lungs.  With VCD the vocal cords close together during inhalation.  This makes it difficult for air to get into the lungs.  Upper respiratory infections, fumes, odors, cigarette smoke, singing, emotional upset, postnasal drip and exercise may trigger VCD.  The concrete dust may or may not have been a trigger for you.  Sometimes the trigger is not known.  Testing needs to be done while you are having symptoms.  Breathing tests may be normal, but the
1 Comment
A related discussion, Swollen larynx with spasms resulting in no air was started.