Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Throat tightness/tingling

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Throat tightness/tingling

Last night about an hour after eating a desert (Pineapple cake), my throat began to tingle. It tingled (sort of a mild pins and needles sensation) for a half hour, and I ignored it. Then I began to feel as if my throat was closing. It felt like I had to make an effort to breathe, but I seemed to be breathing fine. The tingling was from the back of my tongue to my chest. My throat also felt dry, as if there was a cotton ball stuck in my throat. I tried drinking water, it did not help. I used my asthma inhaler, to no avail. I was talking fine and it seemed that I was breathing fine. I began to get very light headed, but that might of been because I was worried. I have eaten pineapples many times before and never had an allergic reaction.

About a half hour following using my inhaler, I decided to take some benadryl just in case I was having an allergic reaction. Shortly after, I had an asthma attack. I began to cough uncontrollably. I coughed so hard I ended up vomiting a few times. I used my inhaler another time, and the coughing eased a bit. About 1 1/2 hour-2 hours later, the tingling subsided a bit. It was enough to let me fall asleep.

This morning I woke up with a chest ache, but all tingling was gone. I could feel a slight itch at the back of my throat, which usually signals I will have an asthma attack, so I used my inhaler. The itch subsided, and I had a glass of apple juice. Immediately after drinking the juice the tingle came back. I have been feeling the tingling sensation all day. I was still coughing quite a bit, so I used my inhaler again, which stopped the coughing but the tingle is still there. I seem to be breathing ok, but I feel like the throat is tight and numb. I took benadryl two hours ago, it does not seem to be helping.

I do not have medical insurance at this time due to changing jobs. I would really like to know what is going on though, this sensation is extremely uncomfortable and is aggravating my asthma. What could be happening?
The sequence of events you describe, strongly suggests an allergic reaction, presumably to some component of the pineapple cake.  And the sensation of "throat closing" suggests what is called, angioneurotic edema, an allergic response that is often hereditary.  It can be accompanied by marked, even life-threatening swelling of the upper airway.

It is hard to tell where things stand at this time, especially with recurrence of tingling following the ingestion of apple juice.  That is, it is difficult to estimate the severity of the risk of sudden worsening.  It is tempting, without health insurance, to not seek medical attention but you should see an allergist, for an accurate diagnosis, to put your risk in perspective and have appropriate therapy prescribed.

Good luck