Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Throat tightness/tingling
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Throat tightness/tingling

Last night about an hour after eating a desert (Pineapple cake), my throat began to tingle. It tingled (sort of a mild pins and needles sensation) for a half hour, and I ignored it. Then I began to feel as if my throat was closing. It felt like I had to make an effort to breathe, but I seemed to be breathing fine. The tingling was from the back of my tongue to my chest. My throat also felt dry, as if there was a cotton ball stuck in my throat. I tried drinking water, it did not help. I used my asthma inhaler, to no avail. I was talking fine and it seemed that I was breathing fine. I began to get very light headed, but that might of been because I was worried. I have eaten pineapples many times before and never had an allergic reaction.

About a half hour following using my inhaler, I decided to take some benadryl just in case I was having an allergic reaction. Shortly after, I had an asthma attack. I began to cough uncontrollably. I coughed so hard I ended up vomiting a few times. I used my inhaler another time, and the coughing eased a bit. About 1 1/2 hour-2 hours later, the tingling subsided a bit. It was enough to let me fall asleep.

This morning I woke up with a chest ache, but all tingling was gone. I could feel a slight itch at the back of my throat, which usually signals I will have an asthma attack, so I used my inhaler. The itch subsided, and I had a glass of apple juice. Immediately after drinking the juice the tingle came back. I have been feeling the tingling sensation all day. I was still coughing quite a bit, so I used my inhaler again, which stopped the coughing but the tingle is still there. I seem to be breathing ok, but I feel like the throat is tight and numb. I took benadryl two hours ago, it does not seem to be helping.

I do not have medical insurance at this time due to changing jobs. I would really like to know what is going on though, this sensation is extremely uncomfortable and is aggravating my asthma. What could be happening?