Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Throwing while Coughing

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Throwing while Coughing

So I have been sick since Janurary 8th. I never went to the doctor but I believe I either had the flu or cold. Either way, I've been feeling better for the last 2 weeks but my cough still persists. At first it was a terrible wet cough that sounded awful. I would cough up a lot of phlem. I was fine with that, I simply assumed it was good for me. But for the last 3 weeks I've been throwing up constantly. The cough is getting better. I just have severe coughing fits where I feel like I cannot breathe and my body just shakes and tenses up uncontrollably. Then I throw up large amounts of food. I thought that as the cough went went away the vomiting would too, but i guess not. this usually happens after I eat food, although I experience no other symptom of acid reflux. It might be slightly important to note that I use to be bulimic. Although that's completely behind me, are these the remaining consequences?

my question is, why am i throwing up? does this require going to a doctor even though I cannot afford it? How can I stop, i dont want to deteriorate my enamel and esophogas.
Probably the infection caused an upper airway inflammation which has led to lots of drainage which was followed by the coughing and the vomiting.  The coughing may or may not be directly related to the vomiting, but the mucus probably is related to both.  I am not sure if your history of bulimia is related or not.  I would suggest speaking with your physician to give you something to control the drainage which should lead to improvement in both the cough and the vomiting.  It is also possible that the infection from January has led to a sinus infection which may need an antibiotic to clear.  Your family physician should be able to judge this.