Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Tickle at back of throat with "nodule"

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Tickle at back of throat with "nodule"

I did have a bottom back tooth pulled from my right side last week.  This tickle type of thing started a couple of days later so I started thinking maybe one of the sutures was too long and that's what I must be feeling.  It's gotten progressively worse so I finally decided to grab a flashlight and look.  There isn't any suture that's long enough to be bothering my throat, but I did see on the same side of the back of my throat is like a nodule.  I know that boxing bag looking thing has a name but I don't know what it is.  This nodule is pretty much even with the bottom of that, but up against my throat.  I don't know if that's where your tonsils are or if that's a gland.  This nodule thing has kind of a whitish looking coating on it and it's about the size of a raisin (it's kind of like oblong in shape).  I don't have a fever. I'm going to go back on Thursday for the suture removal.  Should I just wait until I go for that or should I call my regular doctor?  I work with a pregnant woman (who's had a cold for over a week now) and another coworker is pumping milk every day at work for her new born.  I don't want to give them anything if this is something that can be spread by using the same phone and computers type of thing.  Thank you.
I apologize for not being able to respond before your visit for “the suture removal”.  The nodule you observed could be a normal throat structure but the “whitish-looking coating could be a sign of infection.  It is good of you to be concerned about risk you might pose to your co-workers but it is unlikely that you would without close physical contact.  That you had no fever is against this having been a serious infection.  Infection could potentially be spread by a phone.  It would not be spread by a keyboard if you are diligent in washing your hands before computer use.

By this time you have been back to your dentist and have probably had your questions answered.  If not, or if this condition has worsened in any way, locally or with fever, you should notify your dentist and your doctor and arrange to be examined by one or both of them.

I hope that you are well by the time you get this message.

Good luck