Respiratory Disorders Community
Tickle in my throat and a chronic cough

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Tickle in my throat and a chronic cough

I have a strange tickle in my throat .It seem like lint,or dust hits my throat and causes me to constantly cough.I have vomit on a full stomach if I have to constantly cough.This is so embarrassing picking my daughter up from school,work,or out in public.My doctor has given me allergy pills and nasal spray none of these seem to work.I read all of the above comments and I seem to have the same symptoms.This site is very helpful because for a minuet it started to scare me thinking it was throat cancer,or whopping cough.I have never tried to take the nasal spray and allergy pills together.but tonight I will because I have been sleeping on the sofa because I don't want to wake my husband who works a 12 hours shift.Thanks for the help.I will update you if this tickle goes away because it is no laughing matter.

This discussion is related to Tickle in throat makes me cough and choke.
0%
 (0) 
Helpful
0%
 (0) 
not what I was looking for
0 Members voted
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Tickle in the throat with particle like feeling can be due to exacerbation of the GERD or gastric reflux.  It could also be hiatal hernia. Treatment is a combination of drugs to reduce the acid and lifestyle changes. You will need to take a combination of medications (under medical supervision) like a proton pump inhibitor such as omeprazole, lansoprazole or pantoprazole empty stomach in the morning and an antacid gel after meals for complete relief. Possibility of H pylori infection too should be looked into by a carbon urea breath test and a combination antibiotic tried. Many a times a persisting H pylori infection can be the cause behind acidity not responding to treatment.
Life style changes that will help include: Avoid heavy meals and eat frequent small meals. Avoid too much of caffeine, tea, smoking, fried food and drinks both alcoholic and non alcoholic fuzzy ones. Avoid heavy exercises within 4 hours of a heavy meal. Raise the head end of the bed by pillows to 30 degrees. Avoid lying down for least 2 hours after food. Maybe these tips will help you.
Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral.
Take care!
I am having the same problem you are having. My doctor have put me on steriods and an allergy pill and that has help a lot, but I still have this tickle that causes me to cough alot. What can I do?
I've read through most of the comments about tickly cough. I have had symptoms from November to May for the last 5 years. It starts with an infection which leaves me with this awful cough.
One thing which has helped me sleep at night is to have a hot water bottle on my chest. Add some olbas oil to the bottle cover and this has helped me sleep. Unfortunately I still have the cough but this is one of my coping techniques.
No-one says how they cope with this at work. Do you take sick leave or just disappear when you start coughing?