Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Tickle in throat makes me cough and choke

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

At least once or twice a week the smallest thing, like drinking water, or soda, or even taking in a breath, will trigger a tickle in my throat which sends me into a coughing fit until my eyes water and usually end with sneezing.  It's very embarrasing at a restaurant and out in public. What's causing it?
It is difficult to say what is causing this hypersensitivity in your throat.  Since this is not present all of the time, making the diagnosis becomes even more difficult.  It is possible that you have irritated the lining of the throat, but this does not usually come and go, as you have described.  I would suggest speaking with an ENT specialist about this problem.
I wish I knew. The same thing happens to me. Spicy food, and some kinds of candy bars are the worst. And things that are really dry like crackers set it off too. It scares everyone around me. Sometimes it scares me too when I can't stop. Most of all it's humiliating. Water doesn't help. It's like I just have to keep coughing till I'm all coughed out. I get very hot from the intense coughing, and I get so exhaused from it that I feel like I'm might pass out by the time it slows down. If you figure it out please post.
I have had the same problem all my life. I was finally diagnosed with vocal cord dysfunction. Basically I have a "twitchy" larynx. Drinking, eating, and post nasal drainage are things that most commonly trigger my attacks. Often it starts as a tickle in the throat and progresses to the point where I can't breathe or speak at all. Very scary. Anything that causes irritation to the larynx (allergies, respiratory infections, GERD) can make the larynx even more twitchy and prone to attacks. Fortunately I have a relative who is a speech
pathologist. She taught me techniques to help me through these episodes. If I feel one of these episodes coming on, I try very hard not to cough at all or clear my throat because it just makes it worse. Steady slow breathing and concentrating on relaxing the throat can sometimes abort an episode. Also it helps to purse your lips and exhale like you are trying to blow out a candle. Of course this is of little use once you are in a full blown coughing fit! I can relate to the humiliating part - I had one of these episodes at dinner while meeting my future in-laws for the first time. I coughed, choked and was barely breathing after swallowing a bit of water the wrong way! Made quite an impression - they were ready to call 911 and do the Heimlich Maneuver on me!
i just had to write when i read this post!!! i too have the same exact problem for years now and it comes and goes when it feels like! i have no idea what triggers it except that when i'm sick i notice it tends to happen a lot, sometimes even up to 5 times a day! i am so relieved to know i am not the only who suffers from this unusual "event". it is very embarassing b/c no one has any idea what you are going through! i will try the suggestions offered here: to breath slowly and purse your lips...hopefully it helps b/c nothing else seems to!

jodi
I too have the tickle in the throat.  I am on the phone a lot with my job and the coughing will start when I have been talking a lot.  Thank goodness for my mute button.  It is driving me nuts.  For a while I thought it was my vitamins, then maybe the advair inhaler.  It does happen a lot when I eat something too.  I do have asthma and just had sinus surgery for pansinusitis.  I was hoping the surgery would stop the cough, but it didn't.  If anyone knows more about what the cause might be, I sure would like to hear it.
Do you make sure to rinse your mouth after you use Advair? It can really dry you out, especially if you don't rinse your mouth and have a drink afterward.
I'm just at the tail end of acute bronchitis. I'm still coughing and still have the tickle in my throat, but everything is running much clearer now and I feel much better (after 3 weeks!) However, for the past 3 days, sometimes when I cough, I end up choking and gasping for air. It feels like the violence of all the coughing I've done has somehow damaged or inflamed my trachea and when I cough up anything thick, it tends to completely block my windpipe. This happened in the middle of the night 2 nights ago and seemed to go on for about 20 seconds. Very frightening! I can't find a doctor who will see my right away, so I'm really frustrated too. I will try to supress the cough and relax as was suggested. Anything else?
Breathing slowly and pursing my lips did not help at all.  When this 'tickle' hits my throat nothing helps but coughing until some phlegm comes up.  Sometimes it takes up to a minute.  It can hit any time.  It gets quite embarrassing in a restaurant.
This is exactly what I am experiencing right now.  I have a deep tickle in my throat as a result of a sinus infection.  It has been with me for three days.  My eyes are bloodshot....I have not slept at all.  It is 3:19 am now and I am up because of my coughing.  I am "sleeping' on the couch because my coughing prevents my wife from sleeping.

I have tried everything....tea with honey/lemon, cough drops, cough syrup, gargling with salt water...nothing helps.  The coughing becomes so violent that I see stars and come close to passing out.    My hope is that the symptoms will end once the post nasal drip (from the sinus infection) stops.
I've had laryngitis since Monday.  Early this a.m.,I awakened to a closed throat & inability to take in sufficient air.  Usually when this happens a drink will relieve it, but not this time. With a loud groaning/wheezing sound, which wakened my husband, I ran outside, trying to get air. It took so long to open my airway this time that I am frightened and wanting/needing help/advice re:what to do in these cases.  This type of thing has happened previously when I've had a bad cold or when eating and talking, but this was the worst episode & seemed life threatening.  (Thanks for anyone's help.)
I've been dealing with this now for a couple of years and finally decided to look online for help. I haven't been able to find anything, and I'm surprised I haven't found a single mention of one technique that works well for me.

When I feel the tickle coming on, I quickly take a sip or two of salt water. I find that these choking episodes come up fast, though, so I make sure I always have salt nearby. (When I've not had water, I've just put a pinch of salt in my mouth and let my saliva carry it down the back of my throat.) If I go out, I make sure to have my small bottle of salt water with me. I don't drink a lot of it, thank God--because I know too much can't be good for the kidneys or blood pressure, but just a few sips seems to stop that tickle that brings on the choking. I hope this helps others. I still wish I knew exactly what this condition is and how to make it go away forever . . .

I have had similar experiences, excpet mine isn't a tickle.  Mine just hits me when I don't expect it, all of a sudden its like something gets caught and I start to feel like i am choking on nothing.  It scares me to death, and I wish i knew what it was.  I am even afraid of a doctor not knowing.  When I caugh it does go away, but it seems to get more intense each time it happens.  It feels like it is way to the side of my throat, and caughing doesn't help much.
This happens to me every now and then, when I'm sick or my allergies are bothering me.  I ended up buying an over-the-counter Primatene Mist inhaler (you can buy them at CVS or Walgreen's) and that's the only thing that helps these attacks for me.  If there are any docs or nurses reading this, what's your advice?
I have having the exact same issue.  I have a tickle and some times like a dry patch in the back of my throat several times daily and at night.  Nothing relieves it but a good cough.  Most of the time the cough is dry, but then sometime I will cough up mucous.  I cant stand it.  When I cough my eye tears up, turns red and I look like im having some sort of bronchial attack. Last night I had several episodes I woke up repeatedly coughing My throat was dry then I took sips of water, which didnt seem to relieve it.  The problem with this is that some time it makes my stomach hurt, I feel achy and nausea sometimes happens.

I believe it is allergy related because I talk daily to people on both coast of the US and they are relating that they or someone they know is having the same issue.  I have a DRs appt and will keep you posted on what I am told.
Hi guys,

So I was diagnosed with Bronchitis about a month back.  The antibiotics got rid of most of the ****, except for...surprise, surprise, this crazy coughing spell.  Completely fine in between the coughs, but when they hit (maybe 5-10 times a day) we're talking choking, slight vomitting, not being able to breathe and A LOT of phlegm. I've been to the doctor's about 5 times regarding the whole thing and I'm going to be seeing a Ear Nose and Throat specialist in the next few weeks.

Nothing works very well.  We all seem to know that.  But has anyone considered Whooping Cough?  It's identical to what I have.  There isn't a cure, but antibiotics definitely quicken the recovery.  If you're experiencing the same symptoms as me, I'd really consider getting swabbed/blood test for it.  I'm hoping to do that this Saurday.  It can result in quarentine which I'm sure isn't very appealing, but given the amount of people online who have the same symptoms, it looks like it's a growing thing.  Here's a link with info from Whooping Cough.

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00445.html

In terms of what's helped me deal with all of this, I was prescribed a night time cough syrup.  It's considered a narcotic and is incredibly potent.  I don't have the name right now, but it was off while in color and about $40 canadian for a tiny bottle.  Regardless of the price is knocked me right out and better still, dried the phlegm that caused me to choke.  I also used a mist humidifier that allowed me some moisture for my lungs every night.

The beauty of free health care in canada is that I can see as many doctor's as needed, so I'll definitely keep updating to see if I've found more information.

Matt
Hi, I saw this while researching my problem, and I registered because I just HAD to post!

I'll say to everyone, I feel your pain, and how! About two weeks ago, I got sick, and it's the first time I had these coughing fits. It feels like you are choking, and sometimes even coughing violently doesn't help. It happens maybe 4-5 times a day, and when I saw some of the other posts people post here, I knew I wasn't alone with this problem.

My doctor gave me this nasal spray, and you can get it by prescription only. Its is called "Nasonex" and the ingredients on the spray are "Mometasone Furoate Monohydrate" with something that says "Corticosteroid" at the bottom. This spray helped a bit, but it affected my sinuses in really wierd ways so I stopped taking it. From what I understand, my sinuses are swollen and drip water and/or mucus into my throat. This collects over time until I have one of these attacks. The nasal spray from what I feel, works as a congestant, and delays this dripping. Unfortunately, it also made me nausious, to the point I felt like vomiting.

However, here is the good part so listen up!!! Because I think I have found a solution for this problem!

Firstly, because the nasal cavity is dripping moisture into your throat, I prevent this by lying down, upside down. What I do is take some pillows and stack maybe two of them and then lie down on them with my chest on them and my head hanging down the front. As long as the part of the chest is higher than where the sinuses are. I find this drains the fluid out of the chest area, and I can feel warm fluid go back into my mouth. Ideally I would like to find a way to make a bed that slants downward, then I would just lie in it with the head at the bottom, but if not, the two pillow solution is a good fix too. Lately, I've been using a phone book. When I feel an attack coming on, I just quickly lie down like that, and after coughing a little and beating on the chest, the problem goes away.

Anyways, hope this helps someone, because it has helped me a lot. The only problem is you can't always do this in public or at work,so I'm still trying to find a solution for that, but at least it is helping me sleep a lot better nowadays.
Thank you for letting me in.May the Lord help us all!The type of cough and throat tickle that has been described here by all of you is the same problem I am having now.I have had it for about two years! The doctors have given me All kinds of tests and they dont know what to say.Sometimes I have been given Tussionex,those "pearls",which do absolutely nothing!Was given allergy pills,decongestant pills,cortisone(which helps) but I cant take it for long.I wish someone could find something natural to help stop this. Please,if anyone has found a remedy,post it! Thank you and God bless.
It's amazing to hear that others have my symptoms.  I have been suffering for 3 months.  I was diagnosed with bronchitis and prescribed hydrocodone and levaquin.  Then I was prescribed an albuterol inhaler and Tussinex.  Finally, I had to go to urgent care after severe episodes of the tickle in the throat, followed by a hacking cough that left me gasping for air and choking, sometimes vomitting if had food on my stomach.  After these episodes I have to belch several times to release the pressure from my chest.  Believe me this is very embarrassing in public.  First people think your dying and I can't respond because I lose my voice as I'm gasping for air.  Then I  belch uncontrollably.  Anyhow, urgent care prescribed me another round of antibiotics, allegra,  and prednisone.  I followed up with my pcp who added singulair.  I still have the tickle and hacking cough episode along with deprivation of oxygen.  I'm scheduled to see a pulmonologist this Friday.  The only diagnosis that relates to these symptoms is whooping cough.  According to my research it's resurfacing.  They say that the vaccination can wear off around age elven.  It's possible b/c the mumps have made a comeback.  It sure would be interesting to see if this is the problem that so many of us have since it's highly contagious and is beginning to spread. One more thing my chest X-ray was normal.
hi again :), I posted a few weeks ago, 2 nights ago I was at work and I was laughing and out of no where i felt like I just started to choke on nothing, and every time it happens I get so scared I can't think straight for the rest of the night, and sometimes I just want to cry.  I feel like it is so serious, and my throat just doesn't feel like a normal throat should.  I'm glad i'm not the only one in the world with these symptons, but I get scared I'm going to die from it one day.  I don't know. Sorry if it seems like I am taking it to seriously, but I just wish I didn't have this unknown thing in my throat.  I am going to go to the doctor about it soon, but I feel like they won't know what it is.  argh, i just want it to be gone, I always feel like I have to be carefull how I breath or swallow so I don't choke on nothing.  :(  Its terrifying.  Does anyone feel this way about it?
I've posted in another thread. But there is definitely something going around. For I too have had this horrible itchy cough accompanied (sometimes) by an inflamed throat that comes and goes. The itchy coughing is especially present at night or when it's getting be evening around 5 pm.

The docs keep prescribing medication that won't really help. But I hope someone figures out what the hell is going on becuase I'm heading into my second month of misery.

To top it off, I've caught a second cold and have a recurrence of my second cold sore this year. It's big and ugly.

I cough up clear and colored phlegm. The left side of my diaphram hurts and sometimes I cough so hard that it's uncontrollable. As embarassing as it may be, the coughing gets so bad that it would trigger me to pee ( a squirt each time a hard cough occurs). ugh!!

I'm only in my early 30's and it seems like my problems are just getting worse by the day.

I will definitely come back to post if I have any helpful hints because I feel your pain. It's feels better to know others have the same condition and maybe one of us will find something to help the rest of us get rid of this coughing epidemic.

Good luck all.
I forgot to mention that when my throat itches really bad, it radiates out to my chin.

Does anyone get it so bad that this happens?
I went to the pulmonologists yesterday,  she says that she noticed clear fluid in the back of my throat that was dripping.  She showed me a chart of the mouth, larnyx and chest.  She said that I have a sinus infection that does not present like other infections, meaning there's no fever or headachs.  She says that there's a drip and it drips on my larnyx and causes a spasm which is the cough and then causes my larnyx to freeze up, which leads to the choking, crying and lost of voice.  She says that there is an irritant in my throat that causes the spasm and coughing.  She says that the irritant may be due to acid reflux also the vomitting doesn't help b/c the acid comes back up from my stomach.  She's putting me on a nasal spray, chlotremetine and nexium.  She still wants me to do a blood test to rule out Whooping cough.  I have to get a CT scan to see the severity of the sinus infection.  If it's severe she's going to put me on antibiotics for 6weeks.  She said that I will not have total relief until a month from now.  She wanted to warn me that this will not get better over night. She said that if I don't respond to this treatment, she's going to relook at asthma and refer me to a speech therapist to help me learn how to relax my vocal cords.  The one thing that she adivse me to do is relax when I cough so that I do not tense up and my cords spasm and shut off my breathing.
I've been having the same problem. In early March, I was diagnosed with bronchitis. The illness went away after 7-10 days, but ever since I've had this tickle that sends me into coughing fits where I sometimes actually do pass out. This is called "cough syncope" or "tussive syncope." I understood pretty quickly that driving a car with this condition was potentially very dangerous. One night - very late - driving home in the slow lane on an empty highway at 50 mph, I started coughing. The next thing I know, I'm hearing the "flop-flop" of a flat tire, and I'm in the fast lane. Long story short, it seems I passed out, veered to the right, bounced off a guardrail, went across the highway and nicked the center divider. A few days later I went to the scene of the accident and discovered there were very few stretches of guardrail on that highway. I could just have easily hit a utility pole or .. If there had been other cars on the road ... In other words, I came within a few feet of being killed. I have since discovered that long-distance truck drivers have to be tested for cough syncope, and cannot drive if they have it. Also, there are some states where a physician is required by law to inform Motor Vehicles if their patient has been diagnosed with syncope. I was only unconscious for 2 or 3 seconds, but that is quite enough time to lose control of your car and be killed - possibly taking someone else with you. Coughing/fainting is potentially deadly. PLEASE BE CAREFUL.
I've had a tickle in my throat for three years.  It's highly annoying and strikes when it feels like it.  I've found that in the area where my tonsils used to be on each side of my throat there is a bump about the size of a small pea.  With a flashlight I've also found a tiny bump above my uvula.  Each of these bumps takes it's turn and I never know which it will be.  I've seen an ENT who gave me Nexium (actually worked great for my stomach)and Nasonex.  Then he said if neither worked it was probably my blood pressure medication (I had the tickle long before I was on blood pressure meds).  As you probably know neither worked.  My PCP put me on Clairnex which seemed to help the first week, but only during the day not at night.  The second week it stopped working.  Over three years I've gone through bottles and bottles of Chloraseptic trying to numb the area.  Only temporary....very temporary relief.  Just the other night I was ready to take a dental pick to these annoying bumps when I thought about using Anbesol.  It's amazing it actually worked.  I can finally get some sleep.  Now if you decide to use this you have to have control over the gag reflex. Over three years of putting my finger over the bumps to try to stop air from coming in contact so I could stop coughing I've overcome that problem. You have to be able to put your finger slowly and gently onto the tickle area and apply the Anbesol. The only problem is doing that in public when the tickle strikes...I haven't gotten the nerve yet but with the possiblity of Jury Duty coming soon I just might have to.  I hope this helps someone here.  At least I know I'm not alone with this problem.
You may also want to see my really long post on the main menu page.  You can control-F and search for my ID, smichael81.
Hi, Im in the UK in London and I may have something similar. It happens after a night of excess, a stressful day with lots of talking and often when its quite a polluted day. I get a tickly throat, its like there is a small nodule at the back of my throat.

The tickle gets stronger and I start to cough. This leads to more coughing, as it goes on my breathing get shallower and shallower.  This is like someone has a box around my lungs and the box gets smaller and smaller so by the end I hardly draw any breath at all.

The first time it happened by the end I had such small breath I did think I would pass out (this happened a year ago on Clapham Common station, the largest and dirtiest in London). Luckily I used to Scuba dive and am use to controlling my breathing so by slowing my breathing it came back to normal.

Anyway, the breathing problem seems to be hyper ventilation and I now get around it by rebreathing my own air. Breathing through a paper bag is best, I just breath into my cupped hand, slowly. I now know the signs, the tickly throat, so I start this re-breathing before the coughing starts.

It just happened, hence the search and finding this thread. It only happens occassionally (may every two months in summer). My eyes water and I cant talk but generally no-one notices now.

May differ from you guys but it may help. And yes the first time is is very scary, visions of dying with only commuters around you is the ultimate inhumane death.

ps Ive move to the country where it never happens but work in London three days a week, hence today.
I have had chronic cough for about 5 months- started after severe respitory illness in November with fever, sore throat etc.The cough was only relieved at night with vicodin after I pulled the connective tissue away from my ribs- I eventually got better then got a mild sore throat/cold in March and the chronic cough won't go away- have tried everything; am on nexium and flonase and allegra; just had a pulminary function test which showed mild obstructive ventilatory defect- did not improve with bronchodilator- my throat is so irritated and I feel like it's a cycle- now my doctor is trying 10 days of prednisone, hopefully will knock it out of me- I'm seeing an allergist in 2 weeks- I have mild sleep apnea- coughing worse if I lay on my back to sleep- I feel phlemn in back of my throat- could this be asthma or allergies- hopefully nothing serious- any comments would be appreciated. thank you, challis
Hi everyone.  I posted a while back.  Me thinks that some of the syptoms (symptoms) on this board are for different diseases.  If you were experiencing the syptomms I had above, I was officially diagnosed with Whooping Cough.  It sucks, I know.  There's isn't a cure for it, so it's one giant waiting game.  The usual minimum is 7 weeks, but it can last up to two years or more with severe cases.  Sometimes it doesn't go away completely. For example, if you are sick in 10 years (flu, cold etc) you might see a resurgance of the cough.

Nexium wasn't very helpful, but there are some prescribed (and rather expensive mind you) cough medicines you can take at night to help you sleep better.  

As for me, the cough is going away very slowly.  The fits aren't as intense anymore, but every now and then it'll come back in full force.

If you have it right now and it's in it's infancy (0-3 months) stay away from anyone who might be sick.  Your immune system is shot and therefore you can easily pick up whatever is around.  I picked up Norwalk for a week and lemme tell ya, not pretty.  

I know this doesn't help too much in terms of a cure, but at least it'll help you become aware of what you might have.

In other news, I think some of the people on this site are suffering from post nasal drip.  Again, not easily cured (it can be done surgically) but look that up to see it that's causing the choking.
Hi everyone,
I may have some helpful information for some of you whom, like myself, suffer from this strange "tickly-itchy" cough, that seems to come out of nowhere and oftens leaves us embarassed and humiliated when it occurs in a public place.  I am also certain that I can speak for some women out there with this problem; we not only are embarassed, humiliated, sweating, and exhausted, we also have stress incontinence associated with this hard and dry hacking cough.

I am a heart patient and take several medications.  One of those meds is Zestril(lisinopril), an ACE Inhibitor. The most common side effect of this class of drugs is cough. Unfortunately, if you are are on an ACE Inhibitor, you most likely have either suffered a heart attack or have heart failure.  

My cough did not start until about 3 weeks after starting on Zestril.  At the time, I was also having an upper respiratory infection so the cough was also a symptom of that.  The cough cleared up for a time, but has since returned.  I cough my dang head off sometimes 8 or 10 times a day.  It is very frustrating and I am so tired of 1)sweating like a horse, 2) tossing my lunch, 3)having to flee from the grocery store because I might throw up from the fit, and 4)worst of all, having to wear Depends pads because my bladder simply can't take the pressure. Also, I am never awakened at night by the cough.  It seems to happen only during the day. People stare at me and ask if they should call the paramedics because I look terrible during the fits, and my kids freak out and think I might drop dead or something.

In my research, I have learned that steroid inhalers such as Cromolyn have been found to greatly reduce the cough, and may even totally eliminate it.(If it's related to the ACE Inhibitor).
I have an appointment with my PCP next week and I am going to discuss this with her.  

Check your meds, and talk with your doctor.  There may be help for some of you.  Good luck!
I can't believe I found this site.

I searched my syptoms (symptoms) because they are driving me CRAZY and yes there seems to be a few different issues here but plenty of folks with my same syptoms (symptoms).

I think I fall into the sinus-drainage-causes-violent-obnoxious-coughing catagory.

One thing I wanted to tell folks though.

I started getting very sick last friday, um I think thats March 12 and took a product called Wellness Formula that I buy from the Whole Foods Market. I bought it because it contains all of the immune building herbds and supplements that are in my cupboard.

Taking three every three hours kept me able to go to work although I could tell I would have been in big trouble without it.

Now I"m left wtih this nasty, suprise coughing attack thingy.

Beta carotene turns into vitamin A in your body, I'm taking mega doses (briefly) fo that and it seems to be schooling the cough a bit because I was getting wheezy.

There really are no other symptoms, I can tell I have clear drainage down the back of my throat.

Its driving me freaking crazy!! I'm going to try the hanging up side down trick. Heck, I'd do just about anything right now.

Hope you all find some peace and quiet from this nasty thing
I found a remedy on the internet that seems to be pretty good. I will put it out there tomorrow, I left it at work.
I had bronchitis a month ago, along with an uncontrolable cough, just yesterday the coughing has returned. It's pretty embarrasing to cough like this, and your bladder becomes weak. I have tried the mucinex, its not bad for an over the counter. However, I am still coughing.
Oh my goodness!  Finally a group of people who suffer the same as I have been doing for years now.  My cough began back in 1998 and persists still!  I have been to allergists, had all kinds of lung tests including a scoping. Even been to University of Michigan hospital and met with specialists there. NOTHING!

The only thing that works for me is prednisone.  My doctor will put me on this steriod for about two weeks gradually reducing the dosage till the meds are gone.  This treatment will last anywhere from one month to four.  Drawback is my doctor will only give me prednisone about four times a year.  She doesn't like the side effects of steriods.

Sometimes an episode will be triggered after having a cold or flu.

My doctor thinks it is some kind of inflamation (inflammation) perhaps caused by an environmental allergy.

Have any of you tried prednisone or other steriods?
I too have the same problem.  I have tried everything. Slippery elm lozenges work well on the sore throat that results after the constant coughing and throat clearing. I also use crystalized ginger or just chew raw ginger to try to stop the coughing.

Please let me know what else I can try.  

sounds like what some people have been talking about may either be LPR/acid reflux, or else a hiatal hernia.
Hi there,
i was just searching the web for some information and came across this forum.
I have been suffering for the past year with the weirdest symptoms.
I feel like I cant breath when I eat also have an extremely dry throat and I keep getting what can only be described as a little cut in the centre of my tongue.Also i waqs taking  what can only be described as 'spasms' in my throat, so I have been avoiding any food that may aggravate it (which seems to be evrything)
Last year the doctor thought it may be reflux and gave me Nexium tabs, but they just dried out my system even more.

I am constantly gasping for air even though I have a reliever inhaler, it doesnt help.
It got so bad that I was taking complan and baby food as I really just could not get food down (I was choking on it everytime i tried)
3 weeks ago all my tests from the hospital came back clear although my syptoms (symptoms) are as bad as ever.
I am still finding it hard to swallow or drink for that matter.
I cant even go out for a night on the tiles bacause I cant take an alcoholic drink(It makes it sooo much  worse)

Guys can anyone help me? I am truly at my wits end with this?
S from Ireland
February, 2006, I had a small headache and thought nothing of it.  During that period of time, I had to fly and the pressure of the plane cause excruciating head pain.  My right side of my face was numb for three days.  Afterwards, I developed a sinus infection and a cough followed.  My Dr. gave me amoxicillan (I believe) and all my symptoms left with the exception of an occasional cough.  I called the Dr. asking for more meds and they prescribed cough sirum.  For the last four months, this cough refuses to leave.  The Dr. has now called it chronic.  We have tried another antibiotic and although it has helped, the cough remains.  The Dr. has just prescribed for me meds for acid reflux, an inhaler, and allegra.  I am to see her in two months when I have my annual physical.  If my cough does not go away, she recommends an x-ray.  My last appointment with her indicated a "dry" nose, meaning no discharge, and my lungs are clear.  I do blow my nose after I have coughed a bit, but that could be the result of the cough?  I am not a smoker and I exercise daily.  My cough feels almost like an attack on my throat.  It is more severe at night.  I believe changes in my environment affect it.  I will try some of your solutions.  I like the idea of breathing through my throat when I feel an attack is about to happen and drinking a bit of salt water.  I have also scheduled an appointment with an ENT to get a second opinion.  It is good to hear from others as not knowing can be a bit frightening.  I will let you know what the ENT says.
Add me to the list of sufferers of the "coughing attack" that I call more accurately "choking attack".  The cough is really a result of the throat just closing up for whatever reason and we cough till the attack passes.  Really takes serious concentration to not end up gagging and tossing. The attacks usually follow a cold and last for a few weeks. Then I have a break for a few months til the next one. It's so fast and instant it is really scarey and embarrassing, I have to warn someone I'm on the phone with that I might just have to hang up in midconversation and call them back.  I came on this site when I was looking for the possibility of there being a pressure point that could be used when the attack begins.  Need something to stop it before it gets full blown.  I will keep searching and pass on any info I find.
I was amazed and gratified to find this web site.  I believe I fall into the category of having a respiratory infection or cold that triggers violent coughing. The first time it happened was last year, while I was suffering from a respiratory infection, I ended up in the emergency room with what the doctor called
Hallelujah!  I am not alone suffering with this chronic mystery cough!!  For years,  I have endured and coped with almost all of the aggravating coughing symptoms described on this website. It was such a relief to learn that I am not some sort of medical "freak".

First,out of the blue comes the piercing tingle/sting in my throat; it strikes without warning,any old time it wants to.  Next, the coughing begins, and simultaneously I lose my voice, my nose begins to run and my eyes begin to water.  When the "sting/tingle" subsides, I get this "string" of phlemn down the back of my throat that I now have to try to clear out--over and over  and over again. It's CRAZY! The doctors have no clue as to why this happens. I go through this aggravating, frustrating torment every day and also through the night. Sometimes I am so frustrated I just cry like a baby.  Medical technology  can transplant a new heart into a person, but there's no solution to a simple chronic coughing problem.  The only thing that gets me through these episodes is to use Chloroseptic Throat Spray. I've used it so much, I should own stock in the company.  I's the only thing I've found that gets down far enough in my throat to kind-of numb the tingle.  It's only temporary relief, but it's better than nothing.

Besides the physical distress this problem causes, the emotional  distress is almost as bad.  I have almost become a recluse because I'm afraid of having one of these "attacks" if I'm out in a social setting. I would be so embarrassed, and other people would be frightened to death watching me. If anyone out there gets a true diagnosis, I hope you will share it with all of us fellow sufferers.  If I find a cure from some doctor, or even a medication to help"manage" this problem, I'll be sure to share it with all of you.
A related discussion, Is everyone still having these sympthoms was started.
A related discussion, breath goes was started.
A related discussion, Not a question was started.
A related discussion, tickle in your throat was started.
A related discussion, coughing?? was started.
A related discussion, cough, flutter in throat, voice changes, choking was started.
A related discussion, Constant throat clearing - tickle in throat was started.
A related discussion, Is there help was started.
A related discussion, coughing was started.
A related discussion, the tickle was started.
A related discussion, Post Nasal Drip was started.
A related discussion, throat closure was started.
Last night it haapened just after I ate my first beath assure white mint. Strange enough the last episode was when I ate wint o green mints which are white too. Maybe there is something in them.
A related discussion, Website that might help with chronic tickly cough was started.
A related discussion, Choking/coughing Fit was started.
A related discussion, Tickle in throat/cough/choking was started.
A related discussion, Strange new tickle was started.
Cough is a natural process of a normal person but i knw it is bad to cough all the time.If we analyze it logically it is not a severe problem but it is a natural process to through out phlegm from ur lungs, becuz it is a natural process u have to deal with natural medicines to recover urself 4rm this problem:
1- have a spoon of honey everyday.
2- take direct water steams from ur nose atleast 3 times in a day and remember always cover ur head with some cloth or towel to get full benefit.
3- make urself confident when u eat something to avoid choking, becuz without confidence u can't do anything in this world.
4-focus on food that u r having everyday to avoid coughing.
5- always make urself happy when u have some food to eat.
6- daily brush ur teeth and the center of ur tongue.
Inshallah u will feel a great cure and recovery in ur body...
AAQIB ARSHID
RESEARCHER.
A related discussion, Tickle in my throat and a chronic cough was started.
Every body tall about symtoms (symptoms) but. What is the solution
A related discussion, Solution was started.
A related discussion, cough was started.