Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Tight Chest Muscles and Severe Asthma

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Tight Chest Muscles and Severe Asthma

Can tight muscles in the chest cause daily asthma symptoms? my chest gets heavy off and on throughout the day I take Combivent Respimat 20-100 MCG/ACT IN AERS, Levalbuterol HCL 1.25 MG/3ML IN NEBU 2X a day before Advair, Singular 10 MG PO TABS, Advair Diskus 500-50 MCG/Dose in AEPB 2X a day, Qvar 80 MCG/ACT IN AERS 2 puffs 2X a day for my severe asthma and I do get relief from the Combivent only to have the chest heaviness come back hours later. So if it were from tight muscles in my chest wouldn’t the Combivent not work because is affecting the lungs and not the muscles?
"Tight muscles" or "chest heaviness" could be secondary to labored breathing and interpreted by one as asthma symptoms.  Asthma, even when severe, seldom causes such symptoms.  On the other hand, relief of symptoms following the administration of combivent does suggest a correlation between what you experience and limitation of airflow.

However, putting that relief aside for a moment, such symptoms are more commonly experienced with heart disease or chronic musculoskeletal strain (the result of exercise involving the muscles of the chest wall.

It would be wise to discuss this with your doctor so that causes other than asthma would be considered and ruled out by him/her.

Good luck
Thank You for your reply Dr. Tinkelman,
I don't have to exercise for my chest to get heavy I also wake up in the middle of the night short of breath and with a heavy chest I really don't have to do anything to bring it on. Also my heart has been checked out and I'm glad to say that my heart is in great shape I've had a stress test with 2D echo done to check my heart.
My doctor wants to wait and see what happens but I've been like this since I had bronchitis back in October of last year ( 2012 ) and my doctor is pleased with my condition as it is right now even though I'm still having problems, I just don't know what to do at this point my doctor doesn't want to do anything even though my symptoms continue.
With the way I feel right now I don't want to see him or any other doctor because I feel like I'm going no where fast and alls I want to do is breath.