Respiratory Disorders Community
Tightness and Pain in Lungs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Tightness and Pain in Lungs

This problems started out when I discovered mold in the bottom on my trash can.  Turns out, I was highly allergic to the mold and I was breathing in the spores on a daily basis for a month.  Upon removing the mold, my syptoms (symptoms) resided, but I read that long exposure can lead to lung scarring.  Everything was fine until I went scuba diving for lobsters and ascended too quickly to the surface possibly experiencing pulmonary barotrauma.  Since then, ~6 months ago, I wake up in the middle of the night and feel painful tightess in my chest when I take in a deep breath.  It is always worse during sleep, when Im lying down, and after drinking alcohol. It is possible that I have structural damage to my lungs that will take some time to heal?  I have taken Prednisone and used an inhaler, but the inhaler only takes care of the associated asthma, not the tightness and pain.

Thanks,
James