Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Tightness and heaviness in chest, difficulty breathing. I need help.

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

It began (about 3 months ago) with an occasional cough not related to any illness, and difficulty breathing - having to take deep breaths because of the feeling I wasn't getting enough air. Rapidly developed a tightness in the chest and was diagnosed with asthma. burning sensation developed in upper sternum, with a heavy sensation in my chest, occasional pains or numbness in right arm, and burning and tingling sensations on the insides of the shoulder blade. Was prescribed an antacid for burning sensation (even though it felt nothing like heartburn) and told to discontinue inhaler - I didn't have asthma after all. Had an ECG with normal results, other than some sinus tachychardia. Blood pressure was up, even though it had been normal only two weeks before. Finally diagnosed with a repetitive stress injury, but rest has not releived the symptoms - they have only gotten worse. I have a somewhat rubbery feeling beneath my breasts accompanied by some numbness. Am developing a frog-like feeling in my throat, with frequent burping. My chest feels very tight an heavy and most times I feel like I'm going crazy. There is always a need to hold my chest or lift my breasts up for relief (but I can't very well do that in public.) Still the occasional need for deep breaths and very occasional cough. The doctors seem to be coming up with nothing. Is there anyone who can help with this?
A thorough evaluation is needed to discover what is causing your symptoms.  Be sure to let your doctor know when the recommended treatment is not helping.  There may be another treatment to try.  You may need to have more testing done, possibly by a specialist.
Vocal Chord Dysfunction!! This has pretty much the same symptoms as asthma making it hard for doctors to diagnose.
I have the identical symptoms.  They seemed to of started with a terrible bout with the 100 day cough, I had recently that may have been started with dust exposure in this house (remodeled due to mold but not high mold levels) OR, stress from all of this and my son in law's heart attack or all of the above. I have to lift up my chest and abdomen to get a good breath. I cough of mucous several time a day, still.  I cannot get in a deep or good breath.  I also have discomfort in the chest and burning and pain in the upper back.  When all this started at a lower roar, the Pulmonologist did do a chest x-ray which he said was normal. He rx'd some antibiotics but to no avail.  He wanted me to see an Infectious disease doc to rule out mycrotoxins in the lungs?
I have not seen this doc yet as I was home with contractors for 2 months. I will make an appointment tomorrow though.  I too am sick of this and hope they can get to the bottom of this.  I feel there is air trapped somewhere in the bronchials and or lungs and this is what is causing the pain and the continuing cough.

Pls. keep posting so we can share information.

Good Luck to you.

Lisa
P.S.  I did have a gastro doc do an EGD (light down the esophagus and she said I had GERD (Reflux) and put me on Nexium but so far this has not allevaited my symptoms.  I too have the tightness in the chest. I feel something else is going on and this reflux is not the cause of my main symptoms.
I was just wondering if either of you ever found out what was causing your symptoms?  I seem to be #3 along with you two as I have the same symptoms as both of you, although the upper back pain went away for awhile but I'm feeling it again.  I read through this forum and I just cannot understand how so many people can have so many of the same symptoms and no one have a clue as to what's wrong with them.  I am just dumbfounded.
Are you seeing an allergist-internist-immunologist???
Be patient.  There are many things to be discovered over
a long period of time.
I lead a pretty quiet life with little exercise.  I am a 53 year old female with not much exercise.  Several years ago I used to go dancing alot, but on one occasion after intense dancing I noticed for the first time an intense burning in my chest with shortness of breath.  In later years I went to an invitation aroebic class and upon exerising I noticed this same intense feeling of burning with shortness of breath.  I can clean my house, wash floors, vacuum and all sorts of vigorous cleaning and it doesn't seem to happen.  Tonight, I went out with my dog to the beach for the first time this year and started to run with him when the burning and shortness of breath occured.  Can anyone shed some light on this.  I had a stress test a few years ago which came out fine.
For the past year or so, I also have been experiencing the same symptoms. I have been to my doctor almost weekly and she keeps insisting that it is stress, asthma, anxiety, panic attacks.  She has prescribed inhalers, anti-depression medications, and suggested yoga, spa treatments, relaxation techniques.  Nothing is working and it seems to be getting worse day by day; although I do have good days.

Sometimes at night I sit straight up in bed coughing from not being able to catch my breath and this is scaring me.  My chest is always tight and heavy.  I can seem to get that deep satisfying breath and when I do I feel some relief for about 10 seconds then it starts all over again. If I try to yawn to get that deep breath I can't complete the yawn, it almost stops mid-yawn. I also have the sensation of a lump in my throat.

At this point I am convinced that I am going crazy.  Has anyone found out what this is or found a solution to eliminating the symptoms?  Any suggestions at this point would be greatly appreciated.
A related discussion, lung heaviness, etc from 2002 blog was started.
A related discussion, tightness in chest was started.
A related discussion, heavy chest, arm aching, dizzy was started.
A related discussion, having difficulties in breathing was started.
A related discussion, Same symptoms was started.
A related discussion, small breaths only was started.
I have had this symptom myself. I have iron deficiency anemia. If my ferratin levels are low, it can cause this symptom due to lack of oxygen. My hemoglobin can be normal and ferritin almost non existent so unless they check the ferritin, it would be missed. I also have GERD, and sleep apnea and mild pulmonary hypertension which can all mimic the same tight burning sore chest. In the beginning I was diagnosed w/congestive heart failure. Wrong! Fortunately, but I had sob and swollen ankles co my then cardiologist just presumed...Anyway, if you have insurance, get a ferritin test, an echocardiogram will rule rule out pulmonary hypertension. My bp is normally low normal like 90-100/50-70 but the pressure in my pulmonary artery is elevated. In my case it's from a pulmonary embolism.
If any of you are frequent drinkers of diet sodas, be wary of ones that use the artificial sweetener Aspartame.  The human body is unable to process all of this chemical out from even 1 can (takes more than a day).  Aspartame becomes unstable in heat and will act like formeldehyde hardening your internal organs and your brain.  The symptoms described in this post can all be caused by Aspartame so again if your drinking soda with it, cut back immediately or at the very least switch to regular soda.  Read the labels beforehand and make sure there is NO ASPARTAME!
I have the same symptoms and have had it before it went away after a year but is back again after 4 years of being ok, last time I had it ECG showed nothing but a 24hr ECG monitor they attached for me to wear at home showed a rythm disorder with my heart pills that slowed my heart down and set the rythm back to normal seemed to help but since it started again my docs are trying to tell me it's a pulled muscle or heartburn or panic attack all over again they dont seem to be interested in previous diagnosis from my last doctor or treatment that worked before ! it was a year of weekly doctor visits before it was taken seriously and cured before and iv got a feeling I'm in for the same rubbish all over again !
While searching hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy I found your site. I have similar signs and mom just diagnosed with heart condition.