Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Tightness in Chest, Abnormal feeling heart rate Post Sex

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I am an 18 year old male, and the last few times after the completion of intercourse my chest has been feeling abnormally tight and my heart rate erratic.  I am relatively active. 5'11 130lbs. Been sexually active since 16 and this is the first time it has been happening.  I occasionally imbibe alcohol though not in great quantities and responsibly.
While it is highly unlikely that you would have acquired heart disease at your age your symptoms are consistent with that.  It is more likely, however that your symptoms would be caused by congenital heart disease (present at birth).  It is important to note that one can have abnormal heart rhythms based on impaired conduction (of electrical impulses) systems, in an otherwise normal heart.

On the other hand, your mention of alcohol suggests that your symptoms might be secondary to acid reflux (heartburn), a condition worsened by the ingestion of alcohol and have nothing at all to do with your heart.

Bottom line – these symptoms are serious enough that you should be examined by your physician and, minimally, have an electrocardiogram performed.  Given the feeling of “an erratic heart rate” it might also be helpful to your doctor to arrange for what is called ambulatory heart rhythm monitoring, for which you would wear the monitor for 24-72 hours, and ideally be wearing it at a time of sexual intercourse.  These symptoms should not be ignored.

Good luck
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker