Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Tiny 2 mm nodule (probably non-calcified) on the lung
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Tiny 2 mm nodule (probably non-calcified) on the lung

My wife recently had an abdominal cat scan to confirm liver cysts found on a sonogram were non-woriesome (they were fine), and a 'tiny 2 mm pulmonary nodule in the left lower lobe, no pleral or pericardial effusion' was found.  The recommendation was this: 'follow-up chest CT recommended in 12 months if the patient has a history of smoking.'  These are direct quotes from the radiologist's report.  My fiancee is 53, has never smoked.  My question is as follows.  Shouldn't she have a follow-up CT scan as well, since at least 10% of lung cancers occur in non-smokers?   Or does the risk of actually causing cancer with repeated CT scans (a spiral CT is available at our hospital) outweigh the possibility this nodule is cancerous?  I read on the net that the vast majority (>99%) of non-calcified nodules of this size are non-cancerous, but this does not reassure me, as if this nodule was old (such as from a childhood disease), wouldn't it tend to be calcified?  And if it's recent, what else besides cancer could it be?  She has never been exposed to second-hand smoke, and has not had any illnesses for the fifteen years I've known her. Also, her only sister has breast cancer.  What are the real odds, to the best of your understanding, about this nodule being cancerous?  Would you recommend CT follow up?  Does 12 months make sense?   What if nodules are growing in her upper lobes, which were not scanned?  Thanks in advance for your answer.