Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Tonsil Removal in Adults: The Aftermath

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Tonsil Removal in Adults: The Aftermath
I had my tonsils and adenoids removed 6 years ago, when i was 25. I had been prone to strep throat.  (I typicallly got it at least once a winter.)  And had been battling it that winter for 3 straight months.  So after many different rounds of many different antibiotics, my family doctor sent me to a ENT to have my tonsils and andenoids removed. Since then, any sore throat I get hurts exponentially more than before the surgery, and in a completely different way.  Where before, it would be just sort of raw soreness in the back of my throat, now it's sort of an open-wound type feeling from behind my nose, to my ears and down to the back of my throat.  Also when I sneeze or yawn (anytime, not just when my throat is sore) if feels like my throat can no longer stretch...and that also hurts.  Is this normal?
This is not normal.  You should discuss this with the ENT who did the surgery and, if you get no satisfaction, seek a second opinion from another ENT.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker