RESPIRATORY DISORDERS
FORUM
Too much mucous in the throat
by honeycomb, Aug 02, 2005
I too have suffered in the last 5 years from too much mucous in the throat.  I am doing a good deal of research and I am now trying a holistic approach - Apple Cider Vinegar (must be unpasturized/raw/unfiltered/). The dosage is 2 tsp. before each meal or diluted with water and drank during the meal (you'd have to love vinegar to drink it during your meal - o-o-o-o-o no, not me). Anyway, I am giving it a try and will keep you all posted on how this works.  I do know that dairy products product excess mucous so that might be part of the problem.  I have also read where the processing of milk (pasturized/homogenized) may be part of the problem. Of course we all know about the problem with these cows receiving anitbiotics and hormone injections.  Perhaps we should all become vegetarians we might live a longer life.  I am wondering if the byproducts in foods and even the processing of milk etc.. doesn't all this have a strong effect on our systems. Are we suffering because we're not eating the way people used to eat 100 years ago? Could this be the reason why we have these problems, too many additives,preservatives, byproducts etc...?
Answer:
by National JewishBlank, Aug 11, 2005
Here are some other ideas that you may find helpful in your holistic approach:  
Member Comments (43)
by imbabsj, Aug 02, 2005
I think I will try your vinegar solution any thing to try to help.  I have had this excessive mucus problem that started out of the blue after getting a sinus infection 2yrago with no previous sinus problems other than a few sinus infections in my whole life. All ENTs Ive seen have been no help so far.Try a allergiest they might help find a problem .  It wasnt mine no allergies.  I've finally been able to get a appt at Univ of Mich ENT dept but not until November.  I could choke to death before then.  I had to fight with my ins. to get the appt. Hey any other holistic ideas let me know I'm open to anything at this point. I'm barely able to leave the house it's so much and so often I have this mucus form and start the coughing and choking problem.
Good Luck to you I hope you get some results.
by mallomar, Aug 05, 2005
I HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR THREE YEARS. CONSTANTLY CLEARING MY THROAT. ITS WORSE AFTER I EAT AND WHEN I GO TO SLEEP. ENT DOCTORS SAY ITS ACID REFLUX, GASTRO DOCTORS SAY ITS POST NASAL DRIP. I HAVE HAD THE 24 HOUR PROBE FOR REFLUX.I HAVE BEEN ON EVERY REFLUX MED AND EVERY NASALSPRAY BUT ALL TO NO AVAIL. ANY OTHER SOLUTIONS? HOW WAS THE APPLE CIDER VINAGER WORKING OUT?
by karmakarmakarma, Aug 06, 2005
hey! exact same prob.. its actually relieving to hear that other people suffer from the same thing. there should really be a forum for suggestions for cures n stuf! let us know how the cidar goes! (have u all tried humidifiers before? i have heard this helps somehow... but not sure if i should invest in one.)
by Gina Lynn, Aug 07, 2005
Hi....I'm new to this board~~~~~~I have a hacking problem and I don't know what's wrong with me! I clear my throat in the early AM & early PM for an hour straight ....I don't think it's a tic. My family can't stand being around me...I'm so annoying. What kind of DR. should I see for this matter? Does anyone know??? TY in advanced...Gina
by Jan MS, Aug 07, 2005
Greetings
I too have almost given up! After no help from doctors.. off I went to the health food store.  "Slippery Elm Bark"  Tea and  cough drops.  They give me some temporary relief!! Good luck to everyone.
by kb88, Aug 12, 2005
I have always had this problem along with eating. I'm beginning to wonder if I have vocal cord dysfunction and not asthma...
by Mojowe, Aug 14, 2005
I have had the condition of mucus drainage every night for perhaps 20 years, been tested for allergies, been given various medications with no help for it.  It is so bad when I get up in the morning that I have to cough for several hours to get rid of the thick mucus in my throat.  Guess I'll try drinking water and a friend suggested a tbs. of vinegar a day in a glass of water twice a day, tried that but couldn't get through the whole thing.  If anyone can give me more suggestions, please do!
by peteydooch, Aug 15, 2005
i am so glad that i am not the only one with this problem, not that i wish it upon anybody else, but it is good to know there is support.  i have had this for the past couple of years, when i wake up for two hours of hacking and after i eat, i hack for about an hour or two.  it feels like a lump of mucous stuck in my throat that i can't swallow down.  i am embarassed to go to family functions because i am always clearing my throat and hacking up mucous.  it is clear, so the doc told be it is not a cold or infection.  i am trying the apple cider remedy right now, i will let you know how it works.  i used braggs cider vinegar mixed with water, it doesn't really taste that bad. i will keep you posted if it helps or not.