Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Treatment or not?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Treatment or not?

Several years back I was dx. with MAC and Fortuitum and was on 3 antibiotics for 22 months. Last Aug of '06 I had a negative culture from bronchoscope but continued treatment. Jan. had a stable CT scan compared to the one done in July of '06. I Feb. we moved from Fl to NC In March I went off my antibiotics since I didn't have a dr. to monitor me and we were changing ins. companies. In July I went to a pulmonary dr. here and she did a CT scan which showed reactivation of the MAC (of course we really don't know which mycobacterium is active at this point since I originally had 2). Saw her in Aug when she reviewed the CT scan with me and said she hated to start me back on the antibiotics as they were so toxic but she did hear a wheeze in my lungs so did a breathing test which showed that I needed an inhaler as I had an asthma like condition due to the MAC so I had a breathing treatment there and was sent home with an inhaler. Didn't sleep that night due to the side effects of the inhaler and office breathing treatment. Continued the inhaler for 2 weeks hoping side effects would lessen but wasn't the case so I stopped it. However it did help me breath easier. Next office visit was Sept and told her I had a problem with the inhaler so she switched me to Spiriva (which I can tolerate) and Asmanex(gave me same side effects as the first one). She also said my chest was very tight sounding whatever that means. I can feel that it is tight when I'm breathing. Next visit is Nov when she said we will do a chest x-ray. My quandry is whether to push her to put me back on antibiotics or to take a wait and see approach? My gut says to push for the antibiotics which I think she would do but we would first have to have a scope to determine the type. I didn't have a wheeze or tightness until the past few months so feel that maybe we need to go back on the meds. Sorry this is so long.