Respiratory Disorders Community
Trouble Breathing After Eating

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Trouble Breathing After Eating

Around 20 minutes ago I was left gasping for air and I don't know why, I have my suspicions, that it was because I hate around 50 minutes ago and then fell asleep. I awoke and then felt like I wasn't drawing in enough air, so I sat up and then walked around to see if that would help. Because I slightly panicked, I had to go to the bathroom and pass stool which is where I was able to calm my breathing. I've never experienced or known of food to cause me breathing problems, should I just relax and let my food settle before I allow myself to fall asleep?

(PS I suffered from panic attacks up until a month ago, I suffer from Acid Reflux and have done since February. My doctor also told me on Monday morning that I have a virus
have you considered the possibility that you have food allergies? (I used to get something similar)

I'm waiting to see a dietician about my eating, what to and what no etc, but it's a long waiting list. But the thing is, what I ate, I've been eating for months, I don't see why this morning would be any different. But thanks I'll check that out.
I just had this same thing happen to me once again, I ate some grapes, a small tub of orange flavoured jelly (Jell-O for those outside of UK) a peach yoghurt and a glass of milk and at times it feels like my airway is blocked, i've been sipping water but i think its just adding to the build up, what should I do?
i have asthma, but when i get shortness of breath its a different kind of chest tension. It almost feels like my throat is closing. I just started suffering from anxiety and bad Panic attacks as well. Well today i woke up from a nap, and went downstairs to have a light snack and then started having shortness of breath so i used my inhaler and it only caused me to have anxiety from the steriods which is a stimulant and causes my heart to race, i start to sweat perfusly and start worrying about what could be wrong. I am going to see a docter at the end of the week so any additional information if anyone has suffered as well would be helpful. I also quit smoking a month ago, and never suffered the after effects which is chronic coughing and mucis.