Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Trouble Swallowing, Sinus Problems

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Trouble Swallowing, Sinus Problems

Thank you for taking my question.  I'm 34, history of allergies, live in FL and problems are worse March-Nov.  Last summer due to headaches I had a MRI w/o contrast of the brain, all normal.  I had an endoscopy due to possible GERD, negative test.  I am now 8 weeks pregnant and my allergies or something is making it difficult for me to swallow.  This doesn't seem to be related to when I'm eating, I have no problems with that.  But later in the evening I will feel like something is stuck in my throat and I have a hard time fully swallowing.  I've also had some pain into my ears and neck, rarely ringing in my ears and I usually wake up with neck discomfort, and upon waking a very dry mouth.  My family doctor treated me with 2 rounds of antibiotics because of a low grade fever.  I no longer have a fever and my doctor says I show very minimal swelling in my lymph glands of the neck, probably allergies.  I've made an ENT appt. 2 weeks from now.  Could this be something serious like a tumor or is it more likely post nasal drip made worse because of the hormones of pregnancy?  Your advice is appreciated.
The swallowing symptom is probably from post-nasal drip, but we should not assume that.  Since you have no problem while eating, this may be a functional symptom, possibly related to the pregnancy, rather than an anatomic or physiologic disorder.  You could have a problem with esophageal motility.  At some point, you should have a swallowing study, but I suspect that such studies, with the radiation exposure, are not feasible now, during the first trimester of pregnancy.  You should see a gastroenterologist, who would be able to reassure you and support a delay in proceeding with diagnostic studies.

Something that is helpful for nasal symptoms and safe during pregnancy is to do nasal washes.  A nasal wash helps remove mucus from the nose and sinuses.  A prescription nasal steroid spray decreases nasal swelling and mucus production.  To get the most out of a nasal steroid spray use it after doing a nasal wash.  A nasal steroid spray does not provide immediate relief of symptoms.  It may require several weeks of routine use to become effective.  Please read our Nasal Wash MedFact at http://www.nationaljewish.org/medfacts/nasal.html for more information about this technique.  Share this information with your doctor to see if you would benefit from this daily treatment.  Your doctor may want you to avoid the nasal steroid for now but you may find it helpful in the future.

I've had that same feeling for almost 2 months now when I swallow, I went to the doc and he just looked at my ear, nose, and throat and said I have post nasel drip and a low grade fever, I took some antibiotics and it got better for a while but it still comes back. Can post nasel drip really cause this feeling for 2 months, and whats the best way to get rid of it, is there any medication to take or should I have test done? Sorry to be posting on someone else's thread but this has really been bothering me for some time now and I dont know what to do.
Often post nasal drip is caused by allergies.  You need to ask your doctor if that is the case for you.  If so, you and your doc need to do some detective work to figure out what things trigger your allergies and minimize your exposure to them and/or treat your allergies to reduce/eliminate your post nasal drip.
Allergists are very good at helping with these problems, but many internists and general practitioners can help as well.
Starion
i had post nasal drip for 10 years and it steadily got worse. I would wake up choking on mucous not being able to breath. This lasted for 5 years. The allergist only found a mild pollen reaction but this wasn't the proble. the problem was food allergy to wheat, gluten and soy. I also an operation for GERD that naturally had no effect on the post nasal drip or swallowing difficulties. the mucous would make me feel like food was stcuk and I was choking. Horrible. Avoid these food allergens has worked 100% for me. I can bring the symptoms back in 2 minuetas by eating somehting like a biscuit. I used ot eat pasta a lot for dinner - lots of wheat - it made the nights miserable. Don't just do the allergy tests - try avoinding these for a week and see what happens. it might prove not the be the problem for you bu t then at least you've mode some progress... good luck
Hello I'm a 38 year old female who recently (Apil 05) suffered a stroke.  The doctors did a full work up but could not find the cause. All my vitals -BP, heart were normal, no clots nothing associating wih a stroke.  However years prior to the stroke I would experience palpitaions, headaches, numbness down my left side,anxiety,sighing,dizziness, unproductive coughs (at nights), episodes of seizure-like symptoms(my tongue would twirl, I would drool, my fingers and toes would also twirl and get stiff - this would last for 3-5 minutes then I'm back to normal).  I've visited countless of doctors and specialists with no answers.

About 4 months before the stroke, I started to experience a discomfort in the center of my chest and stomach and pain below my navel.  I was treated for acid reflux with Lanzor, when that did not work after a month, I was given Tagamet- did not work either.  Then one morning I woke up with a weird feelings in my head (swollen feelings)and my ears felt full.  Later that day while lying in bed my entire left side went numb and my speech was very slurred hence my hospitalisation for stroke explained at the outset.

I chose to write under this sinus topic because incedentially, during various tests at the hospital, one of the MRIs revealed that I had Bilatteral Maxillary Sinus but the doctors did not t pursue this. I was treated with aspirin, verapamil. After I left the hospital I continued to feel the fullnes in my head and ears and a tired pain behind my neck and right shoulder (like my head is too heavy for my neck, especially when I'm driving).  I am also now feeling like a lump of food churning in the center of my chest that would not go up or down and a feeling like thread or hair in my throat which would not move either. I can just have a meal and minutes later I would feel a hollow hunger pang in my stomach. Sometimes I have difficultly swallowiing even water - it would stay in the center of my chest before slowing going down. I cough alot at nights. Sometimes I feel so scared and wondered if I'm  having the stroke again.

As my years of quest to find answers continues, I came upon this website and read it with much interest.  Please your comments would be much appreciated. I know this may sound a bit complicated, but I am confused myself.

I should also add that while talking with others I was told that that my symptoms resembled hormone imbalance and it is not unusual for women my age to experience that. Any comments appreciated.
Thank you
A related discussion, trouble swallowing was started.